Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Mystery No Start, Same Symptom - New Problem??

Old 12-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery No Start, Same Symptom - New Problem??

Hello All,

I purchased a 2004 Crossfire Coupe with 95,000 miles on it about 4 months ago. Shortly after buying it the "mystery no start" showed up. Thanks to this wonderful forum, I was able to diagnose the problem - SKREEM Module was bad. Once replaced, the car ran good for another month and then the same symptom returned, but this time the key fobs were able to lock and unlock the car. (Note: symptom is the car will crank, run for half a second, then shut off. You could do this 3 times and it would stop turning over.) So, I thought the RCM was bad. Again, thanks to this forum I found a replacement RCM and swapped it out. I reset the car by disconnecting the positive and negative terminals and attaching them together for 10 seconds. Reconnected them to the battery, turned the key to start the car, same thing. It would fire and run for half a second and shut off 3 times. Okay, I went back to the forums to learn more. After doing more research I then replaced the crank and cam position sensors and checked the battery voltage which read 12.5V. Still no success. Although the crank position sensor isn't a Bosch brand so I have one delivering next week I will try. After that I purchased a $250.00 OBDII reader to check for codes. Plugged it in and no codes were present. Okay Crossfire Forum...what is it that I'm missing? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Eric

Old 12-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Mystery No Start, Same Symptom - New Problem??

It still sounds like a SKREEM Module or related problem to me. I am sure others know about this more than me.

James

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. PVD
Hello All,

I purchased a 2004 Crossfire Coupe with 95,000 miles on it about 4 months ago. Shortly after buying it the "mystery no start" showed up. Thanks to this wonderful forum, I was able to diagnose the problem - SKREEM Module was bad. Once replaced, the car ran good for another month and then the same symptom returned, but this time the key fobs were able to lock and unlock the car. (Note: symptom is the car will crank, run for half a second, then shut off. You could do this 3 times and it would stop turning over.) So, I thought the RCM was bad. Again, thanks to this forum I found a replacement RCM and swapped it out. I reset the car by disconnecting the positive and negative terminals and attaching them together for 10 seconds. Reconnected them to the battery, turned the key to start the car, same thing. It would fire and run for half a second and shut off 3 times. Okay, I went back to the forums to learn more. After doing more research I then replaced the crank and cam position sensors and checked the battery voltage which read 12.5V. Still no success. Although the crank position sensor isn't a Bosch brand so I have one delivering next week I will try. After that I purchased a $250.00 OBDII reader to check for codes. Plugged it in and no codes were present. Okay Crossfire Forum...what is it that I'm missing? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Eric
This fix was suggested by someone who said it worked for them, try it if it works all is golden, if not you will have tried.
CLICK
Let us know if it works. It is actually rebooting the SKREEM.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This fix was suggested by someone who said it worked for them, try it if it works all is golden, if not you will have tried.
CLICK
Let us know if it works. It is actually rebooting the SKREEM.
Sorry for the delay, busy day today.

Thanks onehundred80 for the procedure. I went through it just as it said and I got the same symptom - crank, run for half a second, and off for a total of three times. I'm figuring the SKREEM is okay since my key fobs lock and unlock the car. Any other ideas I could try?

Thanks again!
Eric

Old 12-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Sorry for the delay, busy day today.

Thanks onehundred80 for the procedure. I went through it just as it said and I got the same symptom - crank, run for half a second, and off for a total of three times. I'm figuring the SKREEM is okay since my key fobs lock and unlock the car. Any other ideas I could try?

Thanks again!
Eric
The symptoms definitely point to the SKREEM, but is foes more than allow the car to start so the key issue may not be relevant.
You replaced the SKREEM did you not reinstall the halo around the ignition properly or maybe it got damaged. If it is not working you will get the three start and no go situation.
The SKREEM must be programmed to the car, you cannot just put any module in. It is a security item, so what security is there if any one can be used and have it work.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The symptoms definitely point to the SKREEM, but is foes more than allow the car to start so the key issue may not be relevant.
You replaced the SKREEM did you not reinstall the halo around the ignition properly or maybe it got damaged. If it is not working you will get the three start and no go situation.
The SKREEM must be programmed to the car, you cannot just put any module in. It is a security item, so what security is there if any one can be used and have it work.
When I got the new SKREEM module installed, I followed the same procedure by draining the capacitors and allowing the car to reprogram it. The car ran great for a month afterward. I would assume the car wouldn't have ran for that time if it wasn't programmed correctly. Maybe I'm wrong. But now, I'm getting the same symptom, but the fobs work.

Regarding the halo ring, I believe I installed it properly. Great idea, I will check.

Stay tuned...

Old 12-04-2016, 08:50 PM

When I got the new SKREEM module installed, I followed the same procedure by draining the capacitors and allowing the car to reprogram it. The car ran great for a month afterward. I would assume the car wouldn't have ran for that time if it wasn't programmed correctly. Maybe I'm wrong. But now, I'm getting the same symptom, but the fobs work.

Regarding the halo ring, I believe I installed it properly. Great idea, I will check.

Stay tuned...
Well, I inspected the halo ring and it wasn't installed properly. Thinking I might have damaged or pinched a wire, I dropped the bottom dash and inspected the wire to the halo up to where it can't be seen anymore and it looks fine. No signs of damage. Put everything back together and snapped the halo in place - this time properly. Reset the car and tried again...no luck. Same three turns and then nothing. Are there any other tricks to verify the halo is working properly? Also, you would think the car would be throwing a code, but it isn't.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 PM

UPDATE: Well, I broke down and took the car to the stealership...I mean dealership. Received a call from them today and they said the SKREEM module is not recognizing the VIN number and will need to be replaced. Fortunately since I bought the SKREEM module from them, they are willing to wave the cost of the module. I just have to spend $475.00 to install it. Figuring they were nice enough to wave the cost of the module, I'll have them install it also. Hopefully I'll have it back by the end of the week. Thanks all for the help!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear your going to be back on the road. Did the dealer, not tell you in the first place, that the SKREEM was vin specific when you bought it from them.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Glad to hear your going to be back on the road. Did the dealer, not tell you in the first place, that the SKREEM was vin specific when you bought it from them.
They did. In fact, I provided the VIN prior to them ordering the module.

Also, the dealer said the module only had 4 numbers of the VIN programmed into it. Since the full VIN was missing, the car wouldn't run. It must have lost it's mind somehow. It had to have been there when I initially installed it or it wouldn't have ran a month afterward. Makes me think there maybe something else causing the SKREEM to fail. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens once I'm back on the road.

Take care!
Eric