Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Manual Or Automatic??

Old 05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Manual Or Automatic??

I test drove an autostick, and did not like the delay in shifting while in manual-shift-mode. Don't get the misconception that it's just like shifting in a manual but without the clutch - it's not even close. It's more like shifting through the shift gate on an old-school automatic from D to 2 - you get the same lag that you would if you just floored the pedal to get it to down-shift. I agree that driving a manual in heavy traffic gets a bit annoying now and then (I'm in Los Angeles), but in a sports car like the Crossfire, a manual tranny definitely seems more appropriate, is much more fun, and gives you better control as far as down-shifting, accelerating, etc.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:05 PM

I don't see a delay at all in my autostick, if there is any then it usually when cold and at low speeds. now when im racing i can go up and down the gears faster than a manual while keeping more control of the car. Its all down to preference and i'm sure the next person will disagree. But having come from England where there really is no such thing as an automatic i think the autostick shifts faster. maybe someone could do a time test.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular

I tested extensive both. Finally I spent more money and went for the AT. MB has the best automatics available. And with a little training period you can control the car perfectly by using the Autostick! This is my first AT car as AT isn't (or was not) very common in Europe. But I'm wholly happy and enjoy the choice between D and Autostick.
The manual shifting is cool working, but the clutch way is definitely to long.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM

Jumping in again.

The "old-world" argument about a stick shift being the manly thing to own sort of pales when you see Michael Schumacher or Fernando Alonzo out driving their "sporty cars" on Sundays. Now if we can get shifting response down to quick, we'd jump all over the clutch clunkers. Mine doesn't quite know what to do when I shift. Drove a Chrysler 300M rental in Florida that was very quick in the gears. I think it has to do with fluid pressure in the transmission. I'll just have to play like dealer service will know the answer. (Don't bet on it.)

Old 06-23-2005, 07:32 AM

I test drove both several times and decided on the 6 speed. I knew I wanted a manual but had heard bad things about it. Turns out that yes the 6 seepd isn't super smooth and the clutch take-up into second is jumpy. BUT, I adapted and after a couple of days and I never noticed it again.

Then I took my car to the shop for a week. Was given an automatic as a loaner. Boy did I notice a big difference in performance. The auto is a great cruiser but not nearly as sporting as the manual. I hated the tap...(delay)...shift aspect of the automatic. It even felt like the engine revved slower.

Regardless, the Crossfire is a good car either way...just weigh YOUR priorities. Mine is performance over comfort. A Crossfire with an auto isn't sacrilege like an auto Miata! lol. The Xfire is a GT not an out right sports car with the standard engine. That's fine by me.

Speaking of sports cars...I have raced 3 S2000s and a Subie STi. Neither was able to pull away from me! Though they are faster cars...drivers make alot more difference than fractions of a second faster to 60 does.

-Dallas

Old 06-23-2005, 08:42 AM

Thanks Dallas,

I was recently laid up with a broken toe, instead of a cast I had a support system with immobilized my foot. Anyhow, I was tired of laying around the house, so I found out that I could drive the Xfire with plenty of room for braking. I took my 6 speed across Eastern Europe traveling through Bosnia, Croatia, Hungary, Romania, Moldova, and the Ukraine. I fell in love again with my car and was pleased to know that besides shifting which I became better at and the cruise control I got nothing but admirable looks. Of course I have only seen two other Xfires in just two countries, one on display in Croatia and one being driven for advertisement in Romania. I was stopped by many Policemen only for a closer look at the car. An as usual many a heads turned to see what this rarity is talk about, a babe magnet. Only met two girls, but I could of picked up many. To make a long story short, I am keeping the 6 speed and looking at a second crossfire in the future, maybe an auto/cabrio. Again, thank you crossfire forum.

Tuzla White Bear.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 AM

I have the stick and love it, but I live in a rural area. If I lived in a city (which I have and had a stick there), I would absolutely go for the automatic. In this car, it gets better gas mileage, and actually works quite well according to the people who have it.