Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Brakes - brake pedal travel

Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Brakes - brake pedal travel

All I did to fix my excessive pedal travel, was to replace/bleed the DOT-4 fluid. After this replacement/bleed, the pedal was up tight and firm. Problem fixed...

Old 04-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

All I did to fix my excessive pedal travel, was to replace/bleed the DOT-4 fluid. After this replacement/bleed, the pedal was up tight and firm. Problem fixed...

I believe we have at least two separate problems here and each has its own solution. Another problem is air in the ABS module which is not solved by just bleeding the brake system as normal. The pistons in the ABS module have to be actuated to remove air behind them. Unfortunenately the dealer has to get involved with this using their computer to operate the ABS system.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I believe we have at least two separate problems here and each has its own solution. Another problem is air in the ABS module which is not solved by just bleeding the brake system as normal. The pistons in the ABS module have to be actuated to remove air behind them. Unfortunenately the dealer has to get involved with this using their computer to operate the ABS system.

The least expensive fix (especially if it works) would be the bleed/replace the DOT-4. A little time, no stealership visit/fee, and it just might be the only thing needed. Do the easy first, nothing lost if it didn't correct your pedal travel issue. KISS (Keep It Simple Silly).

Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
The least expensive fix (especially if it works) would be the bleed/replace the DOT-4. A little time, no stealership visit/fee, and it just might be the only thing needed. Do the easy first, nothing lost if it didn't correct your pedal travel issue. KISS (Keep It Simple Silly).

I have done that twice with no change, the car stops great but it is annoying.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked for me , changed the fluid & pedal came right back up !

Old 05-12-2020, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pedal was soft after winter storage this year for the first time and the BAS/ESP warning light was on. Thanks to those in this forum for the advice that a good brake fluid bleeding will fix the problem. I used Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid and bled each corner until fresh fluid came out. Now a nice hard pedal and NO light! Thanks again.
I really should know better as I bleed the brakes on my motorcycles every other year as recommended.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:54 PM

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what fixed it. It also worked for me, sometimes not for others. Glad you got her back right!

Old 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Hey onehundred80, which dealership tool do you need? Can I use an autell scanner? Or do I need the big DRBIII reader? Also, how would you bleed the system with the tool? Actuate the ABS and bleed at home, or do I need to use the tool and bleed at the same time? Thank You (again)