Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dual Exhaust Tech Question

Old 07-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust Tech Question

Just wondering why DC did not make our crossfire exhaust a true dual exhaust. Is there a reason why they don't make it that way? What will happen if we make our exhaust a true dual one?

Old 07-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dual Exhaust Tech Question

well i think the first reason is cost, they would have had to have had two pipes and two mufflers. also true duals don't always equal more power, so this could have been another reason.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some here have changed to dual, Wes Michaels for one, he also autocrosses his car. Claims a little more open at high end...pm Wes. Also a guy in Canada that won the so called $1000 contest, mbepic. I think was first here with duals.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try mbepic he may respond.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:46 AM

I suspect that DC designed the exhaust pipes in concert with the engine's requirements. Sometimes, the concept of "more or bigger is better" actually "backfires". That said, I think we need some data on backpressure and air flow of our Crossfire's engine.

Usually if we upgrade the intake airflow characteristics of the engine then we need to increase the exhaust's capacity in kind IF it did not have headroom for the additional flow.

Also, from what I have seen, many dual exhaust systems do have an "X" crossover of some kind.

To that extent, our Crossfire exhaust has a large X crossover : 2 to 1 to 2

I wonder what the SRT-6 exhaust system has in terms of changes?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the XF never really goes back to 2, its just one pipe into one muffler, and the dual tips are nothing more than aesthetic.

even if the car had dual exhaust, it couldn't take advantage of them without some real headers; the factory exhaust manifolds hardly compare.

and remember, it was based completely on the SLK, which started life as an s/c'd 230 inline 4; that's where the single pipe design came into play, so that when it was bumped up to the v6, they already knew the exhaust's "design." moreso, back when the car (and the 3.2L) was designed, it wasn't even DC -- all Chrysler did was design the pretty silver engine cover.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 AM

I don't know if Wes frequents this forum any more, but he does have a dual exhaust that was custom fabricated for him at a reasonable cost. Here's an expert from Wes on another forum talking about his exhaust:

"With the baffles removed I lose some low end torque do to the lack of back pressure". But from around 2,800 rpm and up it nails you to the seat. For autocrossing losing low end torque is not a good thing. I have fabricated a set of baffles that are less restrictive (less back pressure than my "street" baffles but more than no baffles) that bring back the low end torque. With the baffles removed my times (autocrossing) were 1/2 second slower. With my "race" baffles in I am running about 1 second quicker than I was with stock exhaust. With the "street" baffles in it still has all of the low end torque but I lose some on the high end and no exhaust rumble inside the car. It's still a little better than it was with the stock exhaust. It's a tradeoff and with the race baffles I think I've achieved a happy medium.

To sum it up... The real reason to do this mod for me was more to make it sound better. And sound better it does! The performance gains are marginal... except at the high rpm range where there's a noticeable performance gain".