Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Premium fuel?

Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium fuel?

I just put in my first tank and used regular fuel. I noticed while fueling the sticker calling for premium. Is it really required? Will it ping without or is there some other reason for it?

Awesome car though!!!

Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Premium fuel?

Low octane can cause pinging. The engine has a ping-sensor, which reduces rev when pinging. It's certainly not the best way to operate. Its ok to fuel low octane when there's nothing else available. But not permanent. Can cause damage though.

Premium gas that is recommended.

There were several discussions about that. Like this one:https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=7857

Last edited by chxf; 07-18-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Lightbulb Re: Premium fuel?

Hi all,

My name is Dan and I'm a Marketing Representative on behalf of the Chrysler Information Center. I noticed that you have a concern regarding the fuel used for the Chrysler Crossfire. I believe I could shed some light with this matter. Do you mind if I join in?

Thanks,
Dan S.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 AM

Yes, Dan, please join in.

Oh Brother.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Thumbs up Re: Premium fuel?

Hi Joevano,

It is true that the Crossfire will run with lower grade fuel, it is highly recommended that you use the manufacturer suggested fuel. Although filling up with a lower grade fuel may save a few dollars on each tank, it may cost you much much more down the road.

The Crossfire’s 3.2L V6 10.1:1 compression engine is equipped with knock sensors to adjust engine timing to compensate for the lower grade fuel. Not only will using 87/89 octane fuel increase harmful emissions, lower overall engine performance and reduce gas mileage. But prolonged usage may lead to stalling, hesitation, hard starting and possible premature engine failure which may not be covered under warranty.

The crossfire is a premium vehicle and requires a premium fuel for maximum performance, reliability and enjoyment. If you want to enjoy your vehicle for as long as you possibly can, I would strongly urge you to stay strong at the pumps and resist the temptations of cheaper lower grade fuel.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Dan S

Old 07-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Dan,

I would be interested in hearing if DC has any position of the use of ethanol blended fuels. I have read some things that describe differences in how octane is measured. I believe the rating we see on the pump is the average of the M and R octane ratings (sorry, I can't provide a definition for the M and R ratings). Apparently the average rating may not behave identically in all cars. One factor that can influence this behavior can be ethanol.
The recent increase in gas prices is likely to encourage the use of ethanol blends. What should we know about the use of these fuels in the Crossfire? Do we need a higher octane for an ethanol blend or would a lower octane be sufficient?

Thanks,

Johnnie

Old 07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Smile Re: Premium fuel?

Hello Johnnie,

You are absolutely correct stating that there are two different octane rating systems, M (MON: Motor Octane Number) and N (RON: Research Octane Number). These two figures are taken into consideration when minimum octane requirements are determined by utilizing a [(MON+RON)/2] calculation.

In regards to our stance on ethanol blended fuels, DaimlerChrysler supports the use of reformulated gasoline. Properly blended 91 octane gasoline with ethanol content not exceeding 10% may be used in all Chrysler Crossfire Models as per detailed in page 164 of the owner’s manual. This will provide excellent performance and durability of engine and fuel system components, reduced emissions and improvements in air quality.

Such blends are required in various parts of the USA to reduce carbon monoxide emissions during the winter months. Operation of the vehicle with any gasoline with an octane rating lower the 91 is not recommended regardless of ethanol blend.

DaimlerChrysler has a vision of lessening environmental impact and our dependence on oil through improvements in conventional internal combustion technology (such as our MDS system), hybrid development and our long term commitment to develop fuel cell vehicles.

Dan S