Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

$2,230 To Replace O2 Sensors?

Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2,230 To Replace O2 Sensors?

Looking for the most cost effective and least time consuming way to replace O2 sensors. Ideas?

Just moved to a new city (and state), my 'Check Engine' light came on, went to a garage for diagnostics and it reports that all four O2 sensors are bad. The garage contacts a Chrysler dealership which quotes the parts at $588 (each) for three of the sensors and $462 for one of them. That's $2,226.

I turned to Ebay and other sites and am finding sensors for between $20-$130 a piece. Any input on if these low-priced sensors are legitimate/adequate replacement parts would be much appreciated. I am looking to fix this issue on a budget.

I have read a good amount of the threads on the O2 sensors. I don't have the money or time to buy a OBD2 code reader or have the tools or know-how to check the O-Ring and/or throttle body, and I don't believe I have bad fuel. Looking to, ideally, spend only what is absolutely necessary to make the repair.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cheap code reader, torque app, I prefer the premium version, and a bluetooth obdII adapter around $15 on ebay.
Torque has several additional plug-ins also.
$588 for a O2 sensor, hahaha stealership for sure.
Rockauto.com
Downstream bosch O2 sensor $62 apiece
Upstream bosch O2 sensor $85 apiece.
With this platform I would stick with bosch products as much as possible.
They can be easy to change, but if you do not want to do it, you can buy the sensors and take it to a trusted shop and they will put in your sensors, for a much more reasonable price then a stealership.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Default Re: $2,230 To Replace O2 Sensors?

Much appreciated! Yeah, the mechanic who checked out my car was shaking his head in awe of the price quote as he handed me the diagnostics report/quote. Even he said to buy the parts elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rampntlion
Much appreciated! Yeah, the mechanic who checked out my car was shaking his head in awe of the price quote as he handed me the diagnostics report/quote. Even he said to buy the parts elsewhere.
Just make sure u buy the O2 sensors with the plugs already on them and not the universal that has the wires only, that has to be spliced on current plug.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=02+s...FQyPDQodOeIOvA

Last edited by Bill F; 09-20-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my upstream sensors with universal Bosch for under 150$ just had to replace the connectors with the factory ones haven't had a issue with them in over a year.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular

Check amazon, I just picked up two NTK (NGK sensor line) for 34.00 each for the up stream units

Old 01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just replaced both upstream o2 sensors on my 2004 Xfr with these from ebay reseller: germanautosupply

Mercedes-Benz Oxygen Sensor - BOSCH - 0258006167 / 16167 - NEW OEM MB O2

Mercedes Benz Oxygen Sensor Bosch 0258006167 16167 New MB O2 | eBay

Old 01-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Looking for the most cost effective and least time consuming way to replace O2 sensors. Ideas?

Just moved to a new city (and state), my 'Check Engine' light came on, went to a garage for diagnostics and it reports that all four O2 sensors are bad. The garage contacts a Chrysler dealership which quotes the parts at $588 (each) for three of the sensors and $462 for one of them. That's $2,226.

I turned to Ebay and other sites and am finding sensors for between $20-$130 a piece. Any input on if these low-priced sensors are legitimate/adequate replacement parts would be much appreciated. I am looking to fix this issue on a budget.
Those are not low priced sensors, the ones thru the dealer are RIP OFF PRICED. The next time someone goes to Chrysler for parts for your Crossfire, know that this is a sign you are talking to the wrong shop/garage. Come here and ask us first !

THe car was built with mostly Bosch sensors, and they are not all that expensive thru German Auto Supply, autohaus in Arizona or Needswings.com. Rob at Needswings should often be your first stop - but the others can be helpful. Keep in mind that various items from the 2003 SLK320 are the SAME parts as on your car and they are usally priced way below even aftermarket Crossfire parts. Check with us first, and we can steer you right.

I have read a good amount of the threads on the O2 sensors. I don't have the money or time to buy a OBD2 code reader o...
Keep reading - cause you missed something: A code reader is a MUST HAVE - and they only cost $20 to $80 - go get one!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-27-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I have read a good amount of the threads on the O2 sensors. I don't have the money or time to buy a OBD2 code reader or have the tools or know-how to check the O-Ring and/or throttle body, and I don't believe I have bad fuel. Looking to, ideally, spend only what is absolutely necessary to make the repair.
Did you have to change your pants after you heard the price?
Always and I mean always come here first before buying parts, even if you think you may be getting a deal.
Dealers, despite their name do not give deals, they should be called Badealers.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 PM

I bought this one and it works very well:

Amazon.com: Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN Scan Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN Scan Tool: Automotive

Well worth the investment of $40

Old 02-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't believe for one second all 4 are bad. Perhaps 1. As has been suggested by others, get a code reader to verify what codes are stored. IF an O2 sensor code is present, switch the drivers side (up stream or down stream depending on the code) with the passenger side. If the code changes from drivers side to passenger or vice versa, you have found the bad sensor. I did this, a new ebay Bosch sensor, around $80.00, and life returned to normal.

Les

Old 05-04-2017, 03:37 PM

i have used cataclean from AutoZone to clean the ones in my XK8 Jag for 10 years and 210,000 miles and always passed inspection. Just bought a Crossfire and I am running a can through the tank of gas.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my way to CAA7, we ran into a huge traffic jam on the Pass (fatality accident) that blocked the whole freeway., In our quest for another route, we did some dirt roading in our crossfire, a few of us shot the O2 code during the drive to the meet after running through a lot of dust on a hot summer day. After clearing the code and giving her some fresh air, I never threw that code again.
Originally Posted by velociabstract
I don't believe for one second all 4 are bad. Perhaps 1. As has been suggested by others, get a code reader to verify what codes are stored. IF an O2 sensor code is present, switch the drivers side (up stream or down stream depending on the code) with the passenger side. If the code changes from drivers side to passenger or vice versa, you have found the bad sensor. I did this, a new ebay Bosch sensor, around $80.00, and life returned to normal.

Les

Old 05-26-2018, 07:01 PM

Anyone have a "How to" video / document to replace these/find them on an 05 Roadster? My check engine light just came on and I can't find a procedure in this index: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Much obliged ya'll

Old 05-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

why not contact Rob at NeedsWings he will supply you with the correct I say it again CORRECT 02 sensor, and for a good price ,,, for your crossfire and it fits ,no wire cutting, jim

Old 05-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally have issues with people who buy special decade-old cars and can't spend less than $30 on Amazon & play store for Torque Pro and a OBD-II mini dongle. (if you have an Android phone or tab).

This lets you look at all four O2 sensors to see what is going on (rears should not move off midpoint when lit up).

BTW I buy only Bosch sensors for Mercs. Only difference I could find between front and rear is the length of the cable. Bosch 16167 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment by Bosch (upstream) Crossfire Bosch 16276 (downstream).

Now if a wiring whiz you can save a few simoleans with a Bosch 15733 Oxygen Sensor, Universal Fitment

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
o2sensors.JPG (16.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 PM

I bought two Bosch O2 sensors (in the engine compartment) for around $140 on Amazon for our '04 Xfr and paid a mobile mechanic to install for another $70.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Smile Re: $2,230 To Replace O2 Sensors?

My check engine light kept coming on because the codes P0422 and P0432 (bank 1 and bank 2 cats performing under minimal efficiency). Stealthership wanted $7 grand to replace both sides! Cataclean didn't fix it. I replaced one rear O2 sensor with a Bosch (for ~$100 and something) but that didn't fix that side. Cats were not plugged or rattling, idle was so smooth I had to look at the tack to make sure it was running sometimes. Power was better than my first SRT-6. I could be running 30 mph and punch it and the rear end would break loose until the traction control caught it - so no power issues. Mileage was same as the first one also, 19 to 21 depending on how much foot I put into it. Voltage readings showed too much activity at the rear O2 sensors. I added a pair of mini-cats (Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-OFF-ROA...72.m2749.l2649) and voila - no more codes, pending codes, CEL/MIL Lights, and it successfully completed all 8 circuits needed to pass emissions inspection. Also, despite testing/playing and putting my foot into it more than usual, boosted my gas mileage to an all time high of 24 mpg! I know they say off road use, but unless you live in California or NY or another CARB state where you can't make any modifcation, it shouldn't be a problem as they actually boost efficiency.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB311952
I know they say off road use, but unless you live in California or NY or another CARB state where you can't make any modifcation, it shouldn't be a problem as they actually boost efficiency.
Glad this worked for you! Now, I've always wondered why an enlightened government continues to permit off road components that allow a higher level of "pollution"...

Quick Reply: $2,230 To Replace O2 Sensors?