Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Jet Engine Powered Crossfire...

Old 07-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Engine Powered Crossfire...

I took my Crossfire to the shop for scheduled maintenance on Friday and was in and out within an hour. Then, on Saturday, the check engine light came on so it sat most of the day. Now today, I had to drive in to work and the check engine light is gone, but now with my A/C on, my Crossfire sounds like it is equipped with a jet engine. When I turn the A/C off, it goes away. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? With the temp at 101 degrees at the moment, driving without the A/C really isn't an option. I'm a little worried considering at almost 42,000 miles, my 3/36,000 warranty is gone.

On a side note, I find it strange that most of my automotive problems occur within a day or two of having my car serviced. I'm probably being paranoid, but it's becoming a common occurrence.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jet Engine Powered Crossfire...

Originally Posted by onefortypointsix
I took my Crossfire to the shop for scheduled maintenance on Friday and was in and out within an hour. Then, on Saturday, the check engine light came on so it sat most of the day. Now today, I had to drive in to work and the check engine light is gone, but now with my A/C on, my Crossfire sounds like it is equipped with a jet engine. When I turn the A/C off, it goes away. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? With the temp at 101 degrees at the moment, driving without the A/C really isn't an option. I'm a little worried considering at almost 42,000 miles, my 3/36,000 warranty is gone.

On a side note, I find it strange that most of my automotive problems occur within a day or two of having my car serviced. I'm probably being paranoid, but it's becoming a common occurrence.
By jet engine sounding do you mean the engine sounds rough (shakes, misfires, etc) or just loud?

The only guess I might have is it's the electric fan causing the noise. Only because on mine, I can really notice when the fan kicks on when I pull into my parking garage. And I know for a fact my fan is functioning fine. My thought is if yours is malfunctioning, it would make it that much louder.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 PM

It just sounds like a super high powered fan. It wines as it starts up and as it shuts down. It doesn't seem to affect how the car or the A/C runs, it's just extremely loud.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm always weary of dealer service. Almost to the point of not taking it in. I've seen how some of these people work. Ugh.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Forum Regular

Wow, My service center is great, yet to have a problem. I think most people enter with a chip on their shoulder, then it just goes down hill from there.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:05 PM

The noise you here is the electric fan. Most cars secondary fan will kick in as soon as the air conditioning is turned on. Yours has probably always made this noise, but since the check engine light came on, you are now being sensitive to noises.

BTW, the check engine light is a result of emissions codes. Most likely an O2 sensor but could be as simple as a loose gas cap. Either way, it is safe to drive the car until you get it back to your service department.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I can 100% guarantee that it hasn't always made the noise. It's VERY loud. It's loud enough to make people turn and look in the parking garage at work. I can hear it over my stereo. I called today to get an appointment to have it looked at, but I can't get in until Friday. Luckily, it rained this evening and cooled down the temp here in Chicago. I'll let you know what I find out.