Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Winter Driving

Old 09-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving

I live in the Cincinnati area and have only had my coupe for 3 weeks. We have mild winters but we do get a couple of good storms a year typically. Has any one drove the XFire in snowy weather and if so how does is handle? Does the "W" switch do its job. I would like to put it up for the winter but I really do not want 3 cars. Anyway Cincy weather is mild but it does snow once in a while. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Default Re: Winter Driving

Unless you get winter tires and put some weight in the trunk; forget it. The summer tires that come with the car are worthless in even the slightest bit of snow. I couldn't even get up a small slope of my driveway to get the car back into the garage. I bought a 98' Blazer for the winter and left the crossfire parked.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 AM

It appears that the common thinking is to put real snows on all four wheels. In addition, the rear 19" wheels should be changed to 18" and in the same width as the fronts. In other words you loose the stagger.

I plan on buying 4 18" wheels with Bridgestone snow tires and running them for the winter months.
I will just lay up the Pilot sports on their OEM wheels for the winter.

In addition, I will place a considerable amount of barbell weights or sheet lead in the rear hatch to put more weight on the rear tires.

That should do the trick. This will probably run about $1600 when all is said and done. (ie: four rims and 4 new tires).

Last edited by REDSC400; 09-07-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best idea (ULTRASPORTs) buy a winter "beater". For Cincy, any FWD economy car should do fine. (But then you live there so you already know). If you absolutely must drive your XF in the winter then (REDSC400s) advice to use "Blizzaks" on all 4 wheels should do fine. I'd recommend checking EBAY for some used 16" SLK wheels, or any large auto recycling /salvage yard. Wheel cost? What ever you can negotiate. Tires, about $500 mounted and balanced. Owners man. says vehicles max. weight cap. is only 415 lbs. so don't go overboard on ballast.

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-07-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:27 PM

I have the Contis, put a sandbag in the back and drove mine except when it was seriously snowing. Didn't have any difficulties.

The one day I decided to leave the car in the garage and take the subway to work, so I wouldn't have an accident. I fell and broke my leg.

I can imagine that driving in 2-3 inches would be tough, but here in Boston they plow the roads pretty quickly. Use the gears and not the brake!

Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 PM

I've driven 2 winters now with the Michelins it came with. 2 to 4 days a year I leave it at home and take the bus. Didn't add weight or anything. My rule of thumb is that if I can't see the pavement I leave it where it sits. It does OK in slush and spotty ice but is a pig on skates in wet snow over 2 inches.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM

I live just north of you near Greenville, Ohio and take mostly country roads to work. I have the optional all-season tires. I have a long 100 yard lane to get our of my house which is usually the hardest part of getting any where. I put two bags of salt (80 lbs. total) in the back and drive like there is snow and ice on the road. Any idiots will be in the ditch quickly. The "w" switch helps alot with the traction control and anit-lock breaks. I use the auto-stick to keep the RPM's up and to help with the breaking. It feels and reacts differently than your typical front-wheel drive vehicle. You will need to develop your skills on how the Xfire wants to be driven in the snow and ice, but that is true with any vehicle. If you drive with caution and don't try to bust any drifts, you should be OK.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I had a 2002 Camaro and also had Z - Rated tires on and I have always favored rear wheel drive vehicles. I had fighting torque when I steer. I think the XFire will be similar to the Camaro. I just hope we don't have a winter like last year. Again thanks!

Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM

I thought the XFire was a Rear wheel drive.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:33 PM

It is a rear wheel drive, I think he was trying to tell me that it would respond different than a front wheel. I told him that I had a Camaro before, so I was used to a rear wheel drive car. What I was trying to say is, that I do not like front wheel drive cars as the torque steer.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle_Al
I've driven 2 winters now with the Michelins it came with. 2 to 4 days a year I leave it at home and take the bus. Didn't add weight or anything. My rule of thumb is that if I can't see the pavement I leave it where it sits. It does OK in slush and spotty ice but is a pig on skates in wet snow over 2 inches.
Uncle_Al isn't fond of my input, but I drive my crossfire now only for the winter. And once in awhile I take it during the rest of the year. I have 17" wheels with straight snow blizzaks. I have a few vids of me ripping through upwards of around 4 - 5" and slamming through a 10" snow drift. If someone could host I will put it up.

One note, when the stuff gets too high don't go up hill and stop, as you will get stuck as once the momentum is gone, the crossfire can't plow the snow away with the front end. :-)

Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Just want to double check that's all.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:09 AM

I was showing off my 04' XF coupe to a few people. I had one guy ask me what I was going to drive in the winter. He was very serious when he asked me this question.
Here's the funny part. I live in South Carolina. Our winters consist of temps dropping down in the high 30's to the low 40's for the most severe part of the winter. We might (big might here) get a slight dusting of snow for 1 day, that melts off by the afternoon.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM

I'm located in the Boston area and drove my car all last year. The key is once you getting going, keep in going. Not too much trouble in snow but never took it out in anything deep (5+ inches). I have the contis and manual transmission. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:32 PM

The only thing I'm worried about is the ice around here in Missouri because we really don't get snow just ice storms I guess I will figure things out when it comes time to figure them out.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 AM

I own my XF for over a year now, 28000 KM or approx 17,500 miles on it.

I live near Montreal in Quebec, Canada and we have real winter up here. I have four Conti Winter tires on the car and no extra weight.

I have driven the car all of last winter (I am a traveling salesman) and only in one occasion did I experience a bit of trouble. It was my first real snow storm with the car. Approx 8 inches of powdered snow and the snow plow had not yet done its job when we were on our way home. Traction control was doing a good job except when we arrived at a downhill and the a pronounced uphill with a curve in the middle.

The XF would not get up the hill. I backed down in my own tracks, shut the traction control and it then went slowly up the hill.

After all, a few years back we were all driving rear propulsion car and we had winters then too.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:05 PM

Living in the Buffalo, NY area, I can't really see driving the X-Fire in the snow... let alone the extreme amount of salt they use here. Not like PA. where they use only sand. The salt damage alone is enough for me to keep it garaged, even having the undercarriage cleaned weekly. It'll stay warm and parked, and I DID just buy a winter beater. A disposable FWD Saturn stick.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in Pa. and they do indeed use salt. At least in my area, Philly and surrounding areas.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlimCrossfire
The only thing I'm worried about is the ice around here in Missouri because we really don't get snow just ice storms I guess I will figure things out when it comes time to figure them out.
That how I feel too, where at in MO are you from? I'm at **** Noster.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:20 PM

Whats up Black SRT? I'm in **** Noster as well... Do you work on the base?

Quick Reply: Winter Driving