Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Xfire in for Service Today

Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xfire in for Service Today

just took it to a new dealer as i have moved to milwaukee area. they just called and said that the problem with my passenger side rear brake is a caliper that needs taken a part, serviced and put back on.

the cost to me is $90. i said this is a warranty item, they said that brakes are only covered for one year, is this true? should i call and tell them not to do this?

the problem was a loud squealing coming constantly under 20 mph from the passenger side rear wheel. it got worse as temps dropped.

edit: dealer is ewalds in wauwatosa.

Last edited by XFiring; 12-20-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Default Re: Xfire in for Service Today

Sounds like you have a frozen piston in the rear brake or a broken return spring. The issue from my perspective is that any frozen disk pad generates alot of heat along with the noise.

That said, the heat can tend to overheat the rotor, causing it to warp, it can overheat the brake fluid in that caliper's line and make it near worthless, the heat can destroy the caliper piston seal(s) and fry the pad lubricant.

So, in the case of a hung up piston or pad:

A) mic the rotor and check for warpage and excessive wear, turn if possible or replace the rotor if necessary (worn beyond turning specs).
B) flush the brake fluid in that line and perhaps the entire brake system (you are going on 3 years now anyway so it is due).
C) replace both pads.
D) rebuild or replace the rear caliper based upon its condition.
E) check the bearings if the heat was excessive, it can fry the, and the grease, check spindle as well.

If you can get all of that done for $90 consider it a gift... that is alot of labor.
Recently a guy at work had this same thing happen with his Mercedes, the bill was $590, he needed a new caliper, bearings, rotor and pads and fluid flush. He had to wait 2 weeks for the rear caliper.

Be careful amigo... once they see the ROTEX pads your dealer could raise more than an eyebrow... BTW, who installed the ROTEX pads???

Last edited by REDSC400; 12-20-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM

andrew installed them i believe, can you confirm andrew?

they also would not fix the squeak coming from the passenger seatbelt (now second dealer) because of the lowering springs, saying it was normal due to the lowering springs.

when the dealer calls back i will confirm what was actually done, but can we confirm that none of this is under warranty?

Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM

Just called my dealer's service manager, pads are not covered. Rotors are not covered unless there is an obvious defect in the rotor. Calipers likewise are covered only if defective (ie cracked or leaking), fluid is not covered. When I asked him about a stuck piston on a caliper with third party (non-OEM) pads... the answer was... No the pads, rotors and calipers and fluids would not be covered. Your answer may vary.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XFiring
andrew installed them i believe, can you confirm andrew?
yep...i did install your pads.

but when putting on your rear pads...the caliper is not removed. the new pads side in from the rear of the caliper by just removing the clip & pin that holds them in place. 5 minute job.

Originally Posted by XFiring
they also would not fix the squeak coming from the passenger seatbelt (now second dealer) because of the lowering springs, saying it was normal due to the lowering springs.
what do lowering springs have to do with the seatbelt? wow...that's a new one!

Old 12-21-2005, 06:55 AM

Ok, no I am getting an idea here look at all of the cars that are having issues. Not all but a lot of them are modified from stock. I do know that there are plenty of stock issues. But I see a trend of complaints and issues that are on either used or modified vehicals.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Napasanaoma
Ok, no I am getting an idea here look at all of the cars that are having issues. Not all but a lot of them are modified from stock. I do know that there are plenty of stock issues. But I see a trend of complaints and issues that are on either used or modified vehicals.
i have quite a few mods...and none of my small warranty issues have any direct impact on my mods. my dealer has no problem with any of the changes i have made to my crossfire. they have gone above & beyond to provide excellent service to me time & time again. they are outstanding imo.

i think it just depends upon the dealer you select & the service manager.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 AM

On the issue of Aftermarket Modifications, parts replacement under warrantee:

First off, I am a long time modder so that is where my mindset is...

That said... here comes the big "However"...
If you do mods to your car, and those parts that you are replacing standard OEM parts with somehow are involved, directly or indirectly with a warranty replacement...

You should not expect your dealer to replace modded parts if they are somehow involved in a warranty cure.

In this particular instance, I would think that common logic states, that XFiring should not expect his dealer to replace Rotex brake pads.

That said, because Rotex brake pads are your mod, and IF the dealer can show and PROVE that the Rotex pads are a "cause" of the problem, then you are in a hard place. The rotor is probably not covered under warranty but could be, depending on the stance of the dealer. I would assume you have three other rotors that are in good shape. The caliper is the opportunity for warranty work IMHO. The brake fluid is not covered under warranty in this instance IMHO.

I would go to ROTEX and ask them if they can make good on the pad replacement if needed (ie: at cost).

That's my two cents... for what its worth...

Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM

The dealer took both calipers apart, applied lube, and reassmbled the calipers. The lines did not need drained or additional fluid added. The car appears to stop a little worse actually, but the noise is definately gone.

The cost was $102.52 seemed high to me but they did order the parts to fix the seatbelt issue and hatch TSB's. I'll let you guys know when she goes back in for those parts.