Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: 11th Annual Fall 2017 -Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I think you will find ( as all the reviews say ) that these are mostly JUNK.
Look me up at the Dragon, I'll lend you one of my Midlands.
I am going to TRY TRY TRY to have some loaner radios with me as well. I always have one in the car and two spares and I'm going to try to get my department manager to let me take 6 or 8 from the lab "for marketing purposes".

(Not that he will be fooled....)

Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I should add something:

The Motorola's have a headset jack, but it's a three pin and you can't use it to feed receive audio to the AM/FM/CD cause it is also the transmit jack.

I am unsure what Midland's offer, Dedwards can probably answer that.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Administrator

I see we forgot something - if you are new to the Dragon, please go to post 1 in this thread and read the notice that takes you to the two threads with "newbie" info!

Old 09-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Take them back - you wasted $20. I am sick and tired of people buying junk and showing up at the Dragon only to tell us they can't hear what is being said. I wish there was a way to get the cheap junk off the market.

Do you want to actually hear what is being said? Do you want to know what is going on? Do you want to be able to tell us that you neeed to pull over for some reason? Then read on.

ALL FRS radios run the same power and must comply with the same antenna and ERP limitations. THis is the law. But while the radios cannot EXCEED these limits, there ARE differences, the more expensive radios do have much better receivers and some of the cheap ones (like you bought, sorry), actually operate at less than the legal power limit.

Audio quality on the cheap ones will mean you will constantly be saying, "I heard that, I wonder what they actually said".

I work in the Land MObile division of Kenwood - we don't offer FRS radios, which makes me sad, but fact is, the FRS market is a waste of time because people wont' buy a quality radio when they can buy junk - and the market if flooded with junk.

SO, I must recommend the competition (I may vomit typing this so stand back....)

Dedwards likes Midland. And some of their stuff IS about the best you can buy (not their CHEAP stuff, tho).

But........
I like Motorola (just threw up all over myself). The Talkabout T460 or T465 I do like, as much as I can like them, since none of these have external speaker jacks, something that I insist on. I run a mini cable from the speaker jack to the input on the AM/FM/CD player in my car and that way I have 5 inch speakers and 60 watts of audio so I can hear what people are saying at 50mph with the top down.

But if you have the factory sound system, you don't have an AUX jack, so don't worry about it. Now, there is one more thing, the higher-end products (Motorola and others) have headset jacks, so you can use a headset (legal since you only cover one ear) which makes listening easier and with the adjustable mic gain, you can set the mic to low sensitivity and be able to talk on the radio with the top down or music playing and it does not sound too bad to other radios in other cars.

Anyway, you do not need to buy from this place, but here are some models that I like:
2 Radios

ANy questions? KDW4HIM and I have worked in the industry for over 30 years each.

Again, take those things back and get something worth buying, so you enjoy your upcoming vacation.

Mark Christopher
Field Application Engineer Communications R&D
JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation
3970 Johns Creek Court, Suite 100 Suwanee, GA 30024
undefined
Now tell us how you really feel!...rotflmao...

Old 09-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Now tell us how you really feel!...rotflmao...
I just did. Thing is, I've been up there 11 times now with the group, no way will I not explain the way it is.

Do you know how many times someone has said to me: "WHy didn't anyone tell me about this?"

And I am not just talking about radios, that is why we have the "Attendee Package".

WHich brings up a point: We cannot spend the money to print the attendee package this time. We will have about 60 copies of the schedule of events, but that's it. I think I posted it already, but maybe I better keep posting it. Attendee package is below. If you have never been there before, or if you have not been there in some time, then

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THIS AND READ IT!

No real need to print it, just beware of some things...... Most important phrase: "Check the dry erase board in the lobby every time you walk thru the lobby!"

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-23-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your the bestest....T. U.!

I'll still bet ,a $ to a doughnut , somebody shows up an says , "why didn't somebody say ,to bring a radio?"

Last edited by Steve Jr; 09-23-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:40 PM
Administrator

You'd win that bet.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:55 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

I'll still bet ,a $ to a doughnut , somebody shows up an says , "why didn't somebody say ,to bring a radio?"
I fully support Pizzaguy and all he has shared here most recently in the posts in this thread.
He and I have done these Dragon meets for years (Me since 2008) and we put much effort into sharing all the info here before the event only to find once at this event several people are completely unaware of everything we try to get across here before the weekend begins.

If everyone coming would follow this thread closely up until the event there would be much less confusion for all of us once we have all arrived
I suggest EVERYONE download and read this entire package before leaving for this event - Yes it may have some changes but it is still the outline of activity for the weekend

Download, read and print the link here if you choose to have a copy with you !!!

>>>Attendee Package_Fall_2017v4.pdf<<<

Last edited by Valk; 09-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please add Ralph H with Don Thomas. Ralph will bring his own car only if Marc can get Ralph's back window fixed before then.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I would agree that if anyone planning to attend this weekend event would follow this thread, especially the last couple of weeks prior to the event, there would probably be very few, if any, surprises after they arrived at Fontana Lodge. But expecting EVERYONE to be up-to-date on all planned activities with the awareness of the little things that make the weekend more pleasant is an expectation that is unrealistic. Some follow the Facebook page rather than the Forum thread. Some follow the Forum thread and not the Facebook page (me included - I don't do Facebook!). So being able to communicate using multiple social media to convey all the information to the respective audiences is a sizable task. There will most likely be those that come to the event who will forget something or be unaware of something. That just means the rest of us do what we can to make their weekend enjoyable and enable them to have a great time like so many of us do & have done over the years.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hay ! we all just like to have fun ! Mark Thanks for all your hard work , I like to say that now because I know you will be hard to catch up with you down at the Dragon , and for all that Don't know what they like to do Sat. after the DAM PICTURES at the DAM . LOL Get with Ray or Susan and Join us for a Fun Day no pressure here just nice ride up the Blue Ridge Mtn.Parkway ( If the weather holds the view is great ). and if any of you are coming in early Wed. we will be there look us up , Mark if you need anything done Wed. let me know , Hope we have great weekend and the weather holds ,

Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
Hay ! we all just like to have fun ! Mark Thanks for all your hard work , I like to say that now because I know you will be hard to catch up with you down at the Dragon , and for all that Don't know what they like to do Sat. after the DAM PICTURES at the DAM . LOL Get with Ray or Susan and Join us for a Fun Day no pressure here just nice ride up the Blue Ridge Mtn.Parkway ( If the weather holds the view is great ). and if any of you are coming in early Wed. we will be there look us up , Mark if you need anything done Wed. let me know , Hope we have great weekend and the weather holds ,
This goes without saying. The overall effort to plan this weekend event is enormous and takes special talent to pull it off. To all those that have contributed to the planning of the weekend, you are to be congratulated for your successful efforts. It is a weekend of fun & camaraderie among Crossfire enthusiasts. The weekend should be a stellar event!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your the bestest....T. U.!

Yep ! in the 19 Dragon I have been to there always going to be one ! LOL ,

Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I would agree that if anyone planning to attend this weekend event would follow this thread, especially the last couple of weeks prior to the event, there would probably be very few, if any, surprises after they arrived at Fontana Lodge.
But expecting EVERYONE to be up-to-date on all planned activities with the awareness of the little things that make the weekend more pleasant is an expectation that is unrealistic.
Some follow the Facebook page rather than the Forum thread.
Some follow the Forum thread and not the Facebook page
So being able to communicate using multiple social media to convey all the information to the respective audiences is a sizable task.
You are right "A sizeable task"
But the link to this thread is pasted all over Facebook and even non forum members can click those links on any other social media source and be directed right to this thread which in the early years of planning this GTG was the only place this event was posted and planned.
Yes this thread is long but the first 4 posts outline the event and the posts in these last few weeks probably address any last minute info.
But regardless, we on the planning committee hope with a group this large ultimately everyone has a good time and our new folks enjoy the experience for there first visit with this large group.

Like you said:

That just means the rest of us do what we can to make their weekend enjoyable and enable them to have a great time like so many of us do & have done over the years.
And as Pizzaguy said:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy
"Check the dry erase board in the lobby every time you walk thru the lobby!"
See ya all in a couple weeks now Gary

Old 09-24-2017, 10:51 AM

The overall effort to plan this weekend event is enormous and takes special talent to pull it off.
To all those that have contributed to the planning of the weekend, you are to be congratulated for your successful efforts.
It is a weekend of fun & camaraderie among Crossfire enthusiasts.
The weekend should be a stellar event!
Thank you for the kind words and we hope all efforts bring all of us a successful and fun weekend.

Dragon Event Planning Committee:
Mark - Pizzaguy
Andy - AKING57
Thorn - Thornh
Gary - Valk

Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
Hay ! we all just like to have fun !
For all that Don't know what they like to do Sat. after the DAM PICTURES at the DAM
Get with Ray or Susan and Join us for a Fun Day no pressure here just nice ride up the Blue Ridge Mtn.Parkway ( If the weather holds the view is great ). and if any of you are coming in early Wed. we will be there look us up
Thanks Ray...your offer will more than likely bring you a nice group to follow you on Saturday.
We will ask you to share this with the group at the Friday night meeting as well.

My thanks in advance to all the group leaders who will be showing this large number of Crossfires divided into smaller individual groups the beauty of the Smoky Mountain territory is just a couple of weeks now

Gary

Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Reminder to everyone to update your GPS

Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
...a power strip since the hotel is light on wall outlets.
This was great advice. Been a few years since Roberta & I were able to attend one of these ToD events at Fontana. Forgot about the sparse electrical outlets in the rooms.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So happy that I found out today I CAN get to the Dragon! So count me in. I wasn't able to get a lodge room (obviously), but was lucky enough to get a cabin. Carmen Crossfire and I are very excited. In fact, she was so excited to come, she made me buy her new sneakers for the trip.

Nancy Walker - Seminole (Clearwater/St. Pete area), FL
2004 N/A modified
Blaze Red

Attached Thumbnails 11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct  5,6,7,8-resized_20170920_192417.jpeg  

Last edited by XfireLove; 09-25-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Name added
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cajunxfire: Don Thomas Mandeville, LA will be attending

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8