Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Auto vs. Stick?

Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs. Stick?

I have aways preferred to shift for myself. I prefer the extra involvement, and the vast majority of automatics are called "slushboxes" for a reason. As I've been shopping for a new car -- which will have to deal with a lot of stop 'n go traffic as well as the fun roads -- two auto-equipped cars have started to sway my opinions.

First up was the new VW GTI with their clever DSG paddle-shift 6-speed. The shifts are lightning fast when called for, and mellow when just cruising in drive. Using the paddles to drop three gears from 6th to 3rd for a cloverleaf freeway exit made me feel like a F1 pilot. Most impressive and, unlike the Porsche Tiptronic type boxes, I never felt like the tranny was trying to second guess me.

Next was the Crossfire's 5-speed. Using the autoshift mode to swap cogs manually it gave crisp and immediate shifts both up and down, certainly as fast as I could **** the regular 6-speed. While there was still a bit of delay in "drive" (full auto mode) when asking for a kickdown, when shifting for myself I felt like I had the responsiveness and involvement I seek from a manual. Shifted by hand, the auto felt like I had quicker access to te Crossfire's solid torque than executing a one or two cog drop in the manual.

Given all of this I am, to my surprise, seriously considering an auto rather than the 6-speed for my Crossfire.

Comments? Opinions? Requests for "what are you smoking?"

Rob Gold
Royal Oak, MI

Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Auto vs. Stick?

As much as a 1/2 a second difference in the 1/4 mile (as documented by various magazines).
Other than that, it's pretty much what you prefer.
My opinion, if you have to do lots of stop and go, I'd probably go auto myself.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 PM

A friend and i regularly swap xfires, he has a 6 speed and i have an auto. At the end of the day I'm glad i have an auto and he wishes he had one. The 6 speed being somewhat notchy, although it just may be our personal preference.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Auto vs. Stick?

Sports car = stick, period.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with Aero Blue, however, the Crossfire's 6 speed may be the exception to this golden rule. Shifter is notchy, imprecise and feels like a front - wheel drive stick. Oddly, sometimes it readily goes into gear, others it's a battle.

See my post on "Notchy Shifter".

Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aero Blue
Sports car = stick, period.
Ya' know, I used to say the exact same thing. Up till now, I've never owned an automatic in my entire life. And every time I'd go to buy a new car, I'd start out by saying to myself that this time, I'm finally going to get an automatic. But when you buy cars like a Mustang GT, a 280ZX, a Mazda RX7 GTR, and an Integra GS-R, you know deep inside that these cars just had to have a stick.

BUT...

When I first started researching the XF, I found many of the expert reviewers expressed disappointment in the XF's stick, and actually preferred the AutoStick. I was quite surprised by this. But it swayed my thinking just enough.

So now, at the ripe old age of 52, I can finally use my right arm while driving again. And no more left leg pain after being stuck in long traffic jams.

After 35 years of manually shifting, it's taken some getting used to. I still find myself looking for the clutch pedal every now and then.

Bottom line: I have no regrets about getting the automatic transmission. None. It suits me to a tee.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 AM

I sold my 6 speed coupe just for that reason...frankly I had enough of the shifting and didn't enjoy it anymore...now I have a auto roadster and really love it. The auto is great in the crossfire and as you said you can manually shift it IF you want not cause you have to. Definitely would not go back to the 6 speed.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go with an SRT6, there is no choice...It's auto or nothing. I have heard claims that the version in the SRT6 is slightly different. Anyone else heard this?

I have taken the car to the track and found that the auto on the SRT6 is much more responsive to the Steptronic in my Z4. It will also hold a gear much better.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
If you go with an SRT6, there is no choice...It's auto or nothing. I have heard claims that the version in the SRT6 is slightly different.
See AutoWeek from June 21, 2004:
"Either way, the SRT-6's power puts it under the 1:10 power-to-weight ratio, or approaching sports-car territory. Curb weight on the coupe is 3240 pounds. If we go with the 330-hp figure, that makes the power-to-weight 1:9.82; and with the 349-hp figure, 1:9.28. Both are well ahead of the 1:14.2 for the normally aspirated Crossfire coupe.

"Whatever the power, it is all routed through an upgraded version of the Crossfire/SLK's five-speed automatic with Auto-Stick. As with many small-volume gran touring coupes, and with SRT-6 sales expected to come in somewhere in the low thousands, it would not have been worth it to federalize another transmission, especially since manuals sell in far lower numbers than automatics in the United States."
Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 PM

OK, so what are the differences between the automatic trannies in the regular Crossfires and the SRT6? I know that the rear axle ratios differs, but are the ratios in the box itself the same? Do they change the programming in the full-automatic mode (in "D" Drive)? If yes, does this also affect the operation of the box when shifting gears yourself and, if so, how?

The Chrysler website and the magazine road tests don't go into this level of detail. I've tried comparing via things like the Road and Track data panels, but they tend to test manuals, making a Crossfire vs. SRT6 comparison impossible.

Rob Gold
Royal oak, MI