Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

roof leak -- lemon law

Old 11-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof leak -- lemon law

here goes -- the cv roof on the crossfire has been to the dealers 7 times for leaking and the dealership finally agreed to buy it back -- (if they buy it back - it is not considered a lemon, so it can resold at a substantially higher price) -- they had replaced everything but the top itself and informed me that it is not available as a unit -- the roof never functioned correctly from the day we picked it up -- top didn't operate correctly, then the leaks ensued -- replaced moldings, adjusted doors, you name it -- the last time, at a meeting with the factory reps, my wife simply asked who wanted to ride thru a car wash with her -- all refused and instead tried the "dollar bill" test -- the car failed miserably -- an offer to buy it back quickly followed -- it is not yet finalized -- will post more if anyone is interested.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: roof leak -- lemon law

wow, I had a leak a week or so ago. The window seal was replaced. It's raining today, so I am going to put the car outside and see if it holds up. They put the car through two or more hours of drenching and it did not leak, thank God.

Sorry to hear that you had so many issues. I live in the Seattle area, so obviously, leaking is not an option. Good luck to you. I have owned 4 convertibles over the years, and not one has been a problem for me. This was my first issue.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Unhappy Re: roof leak -- lemon law

got a call today from the independent rep who is buying the car -- for chrysler -- she didn't have the final numbers but anticipated a settlement tomorrow -- yea, and the check's in the mail --
we deducted all the miles to the dealership, we are to be reimbursed for all charges incurred -- interest, and all payments, but having said that -- haven't yet seen the numbers -- wait and see.

as for the leaks -- the top cables were stretched by the roof not opening correctly -- the dealership had to remove the entire convertible top assembly to repaired -- then the leaks started -- next, they replaced all the weather stripping -- could not replace just a single piece, but had to replace all due to a design change -- never was right after that -- lastly, the doors were adjusted -- each jury - rig exacerbating the previous problems until it went into a full fledged fubar !!
wife loved the car, and she too has owned two other convertibles and understands a certain amount of water gets into the interior when going thru a carwash -- however, the quantity of water was way past acceptable --
also, as an aside, we have that same engine in a ml320 mercedes suv --126,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat -- the xfire is a great car -- bad top.

dandy

Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I think the dealer just messed the integrity of the seals.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Forum Regular

Wow...that is a lot of work on the roof. My car has been dry as a dessert since the repair and we've had MORE rain ever recorded in the month of November in Seattle, so one can say that it's been put through a good test.

I'm sorry your car didn't work out. I think you did indeed get a bad top/lemon. Have you considered buying a new roadster? I can understand if you've worn out your enthusiasm for the car and design.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 PM

well, it's gone -- chrysler bought it back -- received check today -- within $600 of what we paid -- not too bad a deal - (3,880 miles) - hated to see it go, but the techs just weren't up to speed -- anyway, am now selling the luggage package that came with it -- 3 pieces -- $250 will take it away.

dandy

Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by dandy
well, it's gone -- chrysler bought it back -- received check today -- within $600 of what we paid -- not too bad a deal - (3,880 miles) - hated to see it go, but the techs just weren't up to speed -- anyway, am now selling the luggage package that came with it -- 3 pieces -- $250 will take it away.

dandy
Keep the luggage -- buy a coupe with a hardtop. There are some truly spectacular bargains out there.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

I would be interested in the luggage, if that includes shipping. I didn't get any with my roadster.