Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

First Snow Storm of the Season and no Bun Warmer

Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Snow Storm of the Season and no Bun Warmer

My driver side heated seat just quit working...of course, it's our first snow storm of the season (we get very little snow, so maybe this is our last) and I don't plan on taking it out if there is any major accumulation. Got an appointment for Wednesday to have it checked out...I would imagine that they'll "order" the part and I'll have to do the dealer-dance in shuttling back and forth to the dealer several times for a repair.

At least it's not leaking anymore and there is NO bad odor or tell tale sign of carpet damage. I did the tissue test and it was dry after a huge rain storm.

Maybe this will be "it" for a bit.

I do not have an extended warranty on my car, and my warranty is up in April. Any suggestions as to what company would be best to buy an after-market policy? I have a feeling that it would be fiscally best to cover the car after the warranty expires.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: First Snow Storm of the Season and no Bun Warmer

Originally Posted by golfergal
I do not have an extended warranty on my car, and my warranty is up in April. Any suggestions as to what company would be best to buy an after-market policy? I have a feeling that it would be fiscally best to cover the car after the warranty expires.
Try talking to the dealer about the extended warranties they carry. I'm sure they sell other warranties other than the DC plan. In fact, I would favor one that you can use at any shop. That way you can always take it to an MB shop. But, do it before your warranty expires.

Last edited by FP; 11-26-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 PM

It started snowing here today too. My passenger side heater is out so I made an appointment for Tuesday to have it diagnosed (matter of procedure, so they say). I suppose they'll order a new heater and I'll just wait a while. I have alot of confidence in them though, they have been doing a great job.
I wonder if it's because one of the techs own a crossfire himself...

Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 PM
FP

Originally Posted by polywave
It started snowing here today too. My passenger side heater is out so I made an appointment for Tuesday to have it diagnosed (matter of procedure, so they say). I suppose they'll order a new heater and I'll just wait a while. I have alot of confidence in them though, they have been doing a great job.
I wonder if it's because one of the techs own a crossfire himself...
You should ask the Tech to join the forum.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Forum Regular

That's not a bad idea. I might let them in on the website address. They could "search" and get a ton info on this site. So far, I've had excellent service at my dealer. Fingers crossed that the heated seat will be hassle free.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

At what point do they perform a recall? I know this isn't
a life threatening issue, but on the other forum,
numerous people have had seat heater problems
also. I am one of them. I need to make an
appointment... I hate cold buns...

Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Forum Regular

My dealer had not had any heated seat related issues with the Crossfires he's serviced...I talked to one of the head guys. OTOH, I don't know how many total Xfires there are in the area as I see very few. They have acted very professional with all my questions and the minor issues I've had have been repaired in a timely manner.

Don't know under what circumstances a recall is issued...

Old 11-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Forum Regular

Aren't "recalls" put out by the NHTSA for only safety related issues?

Last edited by ben47; 11-27-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: First Snow Storm of the Season and no Bun Warmer

You are correct only safety issues will be given a TSB notice. There is no recall for the heated seat issue. Warning to all who have heated seat issues the fix is totally up to the dealer, some dealers have opted to just remove your seat covers (not good) and replace the heating elements. Many have had their seat covers poorly reinstalled, remember that the Techs are not upholsterers. Also keep in mind that they will only replace the defective part of the seat either the seat back or bottom. If you have the vanilla/slate interior this could be a problem as there will be a color difference. In my case my 5 Star dealer (and they truly are) replaced both of my seats entirely with new seats under warranty at a cost of $5684.15 and then had them installed at a local upholstery shop. Here is one thread on the subject.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t=heated+seats

Last edited by CrossfireLTD; 11-27-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Forum Regular

Whoa...I can't believe the cost. I have the two-tone seat...I am hoping that the repair goes smoothly. Now, I'm scared!

Old 11-27-2006, 10:12 AM

Attachment 3171

I'm not sure why the seat cover would need to be replaced.

Sorry about the UNREGISTERED, as cheap as I am, I'm trying to use one of those free print screen programs to capture part of the service manual.

Last edited by polywave; 06-29-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: First Snow Storm of the Season and no Bun Warmer

Yes...the diagram is correct, but remember you have to go with the dealer's idea or conception of how the problem will be handled. The cushion/elements can be order and installed by removing the existing cover and then reinstall the cover. My dealer just took the high road and replaced both seats entirely and said that DChrysler will pay him one way or another. He also stated that the car was purchased with 2 tone interior and not 3 tone interior. The dealer will have to go through STAR which is DChryslers service advisory group and they will then determine how to fix the issue. I guess it just boils down to the attitude and integrity of your dealer.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
FP

Here's one. I have not used them, so I can't say they are good or not. But check them out if you're interested.

http://www.chaveweb.com/auto/

Old 11-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks so much. I will be asking my dealer about the ext. warranty...I have done some research, as well. It's probably better that I do something now rather than in April when my warranty expires. I bought my car used, so I need to check dates and make sure I'm covered. A simple repair seems to be quite expensive on these cars.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM

Whew! I just went through my warranty papers, and the seat warmers aren't covered by the extended warranty. But, my standard warranty doesn't run out for another year or 3,000 miles.
My dealer has been pretty darned good, I think I'll try to get her to replace all the heating elements. If she wants to replace the entire seats, and the new ones don't match (Cedar/Grey), then I'll replace the covers myself.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
FP

Thanks so much. I will be asking my dealer about the ext. warranty...I have done some research, as well. It's probably better that I do something now rather than in April when my warranty expires. I bought my car used, so I need to check dates and make sure I'm covered. A simple repair seems to be quite expensive on these cars.
The dealer sells pretty good warranties. They have DCs, and other reputable names. Keep in mind there's different levels of coverage. Make sure you select the coverage you’re most comfortable with. Again, try picking one that's shop agnostic so you can take it to a MB shop.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, I do think being able to take it to any dealer/shop including MB is very important. I might ask for some brochures when I drop my car off on Tuesday night. It doesn't take much to get the value back on your warranty...one major issue or a bunch of small ones will break one's bank.

More snow in the forecast today. Drove the Cherokee to work! Go Seahawks! Monday Night Football might be snowy.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can add me to the list of people with broken **** warmers. Is this a one day job assuming parts are in stock?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Forum Regular

I didn't take my car into work today...snow was in the forecast...so, I leave around 2:46 for what should be a 20 minute drive home. After 10 of those minutes, the storm hit...the roads instantly turned to ice and my drive took over 3 hours to go no more than 10 miles...if that. Cars were sideways, in ditches, upside down, people leaving them in the middle of the intersections...no joke! I was lucky to get home. I actually stopped at a random business park office to use their restroom after having been in a non-moving line of cars for two hours. We had about 5 inches of snow in a blink of an eye.

Now, for those of you in the mid-west, this sounds like kindergarten...but, in Seattle, we have hills and more hills...we have drivers that have NO clue what to do when their cars start to skid...we have SUV jerks who think they are king of the road...only to be hooked to a tow truck down the road...(personally saw an Excursion leave the road in front of me!).

Don't even want to think what my Xfire would have done in this mess...Incidentally, I forgot my cell phone today. Had no way of calling home. When I finally did reach my husband from the business office his response was "Oh, is it snowing???" (He works from home and hadn't been out all day). Made me feel sooo special! He didn't even notice I wasn't home!!!

Geesh!

Last edited by golfergal; 11-28-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Made me feel sooo special! He didn't even notice I wasn't home!!!

Geesh!
Hey! You got the Crossfire! Isn't that enough??? Now you want to be noticed too? Sheesh!

Quick Reply: First Snow Storm of the Season and no Bun Warmer