Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Successful Test of Marina Pro Oil Vacuum Pump

Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successful Test of Marina Pro Oil Vacuum Pump

Hi all...today is Ingrid and my 32nd wedding anniversary. To celebrate I decided to change the oil in Two Harleys. I'd planned well in advance, so I had my nine quarts of Mobil-1 0W-40, my MANN HU718/5A filter, and my spanking new Marina Pro Oil and Fluids Vacuum Pump. With 6,639 miles on the odometer, this was my first oil change...and the FSS showed -24. When I set her down for the winter she was projecting 500 miles, or about 7,100 on the odometer for my single wrench service.

I had some difficulty getting the pump to maintain a vacuum, and about wore myself out pumping and pumping before it finally dawned on me that coating everything with oil would force enough seal....which I proceeded to do, and which, subsequently, worked. This particular pump is rated for 8 quarts...a bit of a challenge with our 8.5 quart engines. It has a rigid plastic tube that fits into the dipstick tube, then connects to a clear flexible plastic tube leads to a check valve, and contains a hose clamp positioned in front of the check valve, then a stubby hose connects the entire length of connected tubing and valves to a hose bib on the screw-on pump cover. With a picture being worth 1,000 words, see the attached:

As it happens, the vacuum leak was at the lid, not the tubing, and a fresh coat of 0W-40 did the trick. Anyway...after gaining solid suction with about 40 pumps I watched with delight as the old oil rushed through the tubing into the reservoir. Sadly, there is no viewing window, so I couldn't actually tell how quickly the process went, but I suppose another 10 minutes passed before I heard gurgling and sucking noises. I pushed the tube in a wee bit more and then manually pumped all that I could until no oil was coming up the rigid hose. In actuality, I pulled in right at 8.5 quarts...which was fine if I'd let well enough alone, but I decided to keep pumping, and sucked oil right through the vacuum pump. Fortunately no more than a few drops as I stopped pumping right away.

After cleaning the filter cavity and mounting a new element onto the filter housing (with 4 new O rings), I oiled the rings, remounted the filter, and proceeded to fill the crankcase. I was just a bit apprehensive about refilling due to some comments on this forum that topsiders don't get all of the old oil (which stands in contrast to comments on a MB forum that strongly advocates this method). To my delight, I used exactly 8.5 quarts, retaining 1/2 quart for my next change, and registering spot on the dipstick.

A quick forum search for the FSS reset procedure, and done.

Overall, it was quick...and next time will be quicker...almost spotless...and I only cut myself once...the threads in the filter housing are incredibly sharp...I was cut right through the thin latex gloves when I put my hand in to wipe out the cavity with a shop towel. All I need do now is find a receiver for the old oil and I'm done. What a great way to spend an anniversary.

By the way...Ingrid had to work today, so I'm not such a bum to spend this day changing oil. Now I'll have the evening free, and all day tomorrow. At least I'm cooking dinner tonight.

Spring is about here, the top's down, and I'm going for some groceries. I hope to see some of you later this spring/summer as we engage in Crossfire Cruising.

Aloha!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Successful Test of Marina Pro Oil Vacuum Pump

Hey Mark - Great write-up and congrats to you & Ingrid!

I'm sure it's warm down there in Dayton today, so might I suggest taking the wifey to one of Dayton's finer restaurants tonight with the "Harley" top down for a celebratory dinner.

Will you be able to make our Dream Cruise rendezvous this Aug?

Regards,

- J

Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Successful Test of Marina Pro Oil Vacuum Pump

Harbor,

What a shame!! It would be great to join the huge group planning to attend the Dream Cruise. Sadly, my niece scheduled her wedding the same weekend...and in Rhode Island. Even driving "Two Harleys" I couldn't get from Ohio to Rhode Island and back to Michigan for a cruise-in. We'll need to find another meet. Is anyone planning another Orphan Car Show cruise? At least I already know how to do that one...and so far as I know, there's no conflict that weekend, yet.