CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Wind Restrictor (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/21310-wind-restrictor.html)

Chris Newman 02-24-2008 11:57 PM

Re: Wind Restrictor

Hi Tony

Yes, I went for the red illuminated version. However, I would not recommend wiring into the harness as such. It's not until the harness terminates into the final lamp units that you can establish the correct connection, so if you decide to wire one in you need to tap into the wires that enter the lamp holder.

Sure its fiddly but if you follow the instruction step by step you should be able to get there. I predicted there may be a problem connecting to the lamp unit in the boot as the wires to the lamp holder are very short and don't pull out any distance. It may be different in a US spec car - we do have some differences in our lighting regulations in the UK.

I'v gone for the independent power option on a switch rather than tapping into the brake or side lights.

The installation of the windrestrictor itself it the work of minutes - literally.

yanni2112 02-25-2008 03:25 AM

Depending on how much air you want to block should influence your decision. We tried the blocker that attaches between the hoops (looks great, works fine), and the blocker that covers the hoops also (works much better) and went with bigger blocker. Function over form in this case.

InfernoRedXfire 02-25-2008 07:10 AM

The mesh wind restrictorfrom http://tuningshop.co.uk goes the full width. It looks great and functions great.

Tony Curtis 02-25-2008 09:17 AM

Dan: On the mesh wind restrictor it looks as if the back of the seats may hit the tightening knobs; after looking at the installation pics. If the seats are moved all the way back, do they hit those knobs ?

InfernoRedXfire 02-25-2008 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Curtis
Dan: On the mesh wind restrictor it looks as if the back of the seats may hit the tightening knobs; after looking at the installation pics. If the seats are moved all the way back, do they hit those knobs ?

Not at all. The screen's frame attaches to the screws that hold the umbrella clamps. The tightening knobs are just above that. The seats don't hit them.

KingPennSky 03-06-2008 09:50 PM

I've done several installs on the XF. It's very simple. Even with the brake light module option it's only 5 wires that need to be connected.

Please give us a call if anyone runs into any problems at all....

RMADERMAN 03-07-2008 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by KingPennSky
I've done several installs on the XF. It's very simple. Even with the brake light module option it's only 5 wires that need to be connected.

Please give us a call if anyone runs into any problems at all....

I may need to purchase a new wind restrictor. Since Ashley has an Eagle/Falcon currently, which is her high school mascot and her college will be Nova Southeastern University it will have to change to a Shark.

Unfortunately, the current WS has her initials on it, AMA FIRE. I guess she can use the old one as a decoration in her dorm room. lol :cool:

KingPennSky 03-07-2008 09:13 AM

Great... If you order when I'm not around make sure and let them know you are a returned customer so that you receive Free graphics......

Have a great weekend!

KingPennSky 03-07-2008 09:14 AM

We've also started making edge lit signs with bases and window mount signs for sorority house windows and stuff...... Let me know if I can help in any way with the design...

Xfirenorth 03-19-2008 05:06 AM

I talked with Steve Pennington yesterday about purchasing a WR for my roadster. Steve was extremely cordial and helpful and I plan on doing business with his company. I'm looking for some advice from my fellow forum members re what exactly I should purchase re the WR:

My roadster is yellow. Should I go with the yellow illumination?

I'm not good with wiring. Should I go with the cig-plug adapter that would leave a wire running across the console and a cig-plug sticking out of the dash?

Do they offer battery packs (9V I thought I read some where) which would eliminate the wiring problem?

Do you leave the WR in place even with the top up, and if you do does it restrict your view through your rear-view mirror?

If you leave the WR illuminated while you drive at night, does it impede your field of vision with a glow in the interior or your XFire and in the rear-view mirror?

If you leave the WR in place all the time does it interfere with your rear view during day time driving?

Any recommendations for what I should have etched on the WR? I was thinking of going with the word(s) "Crossfire" with "Roadster" underneath it. I almost thought of adding a shamrock and possible green illumination. How do you think that would look on a yellow roadster?

If you have an illuminated WR, is there anything you wished you would have done differently?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your comments to help me to decide what to purchase.

Bob M

woodlands1 03-19-2008 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Xfirenorth
I talked with Steve Pennington yesterday about purchasing a WR for my roadster. Steve was extremely cordial and helpful and I plan on doing business with his company. I'm looking for some advice from my fellow forum members re what exactly I should purchase re the WR:

My roadster is yellow. Should I go with the yellow illumination?

I'm not good with wiring. Should I go with the cig-plug adapter that would leave a wire running across the console and a cig-plug sticking out of the dash?

Do they offer battery packs (9V I thought I read some where) which would eliminate the wiring problem?

Do you leave the WR in place even with the top up, and if you do does it restrict your view through your rear-view mirror?

If you leave the WR illuminated while you drive at night, does it impede your field of vision with a glow in the interior or your XFire and in the rear-view mirror?

If you leave the WR in place all the time does it interfere with your rear view during day time driving?

Any recommendations for what I should have etched on the WR? I was thinking of going with the word(s) "Crossfire" with "Roadster" underneath it. I almost thought of adding a shamrock and possible green illumination. How do you think that would look on a yellow roadster?

If you have an illuminated WR, is there anything you wished you would have done differently?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your comments to help me to decide what to purchase.

Bob M

I believe that yellow LEDs would look good in a yellow car.

I would recommend that you don't hook the wiring into the cig lighter. It would look unfinished and out of place.

I believe they do have a battery pack option for lighting the WR. Not sure how long the pack would light the LEDs, however.

Yes, you do have some impediment of your night vision when the LEDs are illuminated. There also some reflected light on the WR plastic from outside sources. I have noticed I have to be very aware when I change lanes at night with the WR LEDS on. However, prudent caution takes care of the issue.

The WR is permanently mounted. I haven't noticed any appreciable amount of rear field of view interference in day time driving. However, you do notice the "CROSSFIRE" or logo or whatever you have etched on the WR in your rear view mirror, but it soon fades into your subconscious.

Having "CROSSFIRE" and "ROADSTER" etched on the WR would look nice (check the WR website for several excellent examples). To me, having ROADSTER on the WR states the obvious, so I didn't include the word on mine. I went with a MB logo instead.

Using green illumination would work great as it complements the yellow, but also would work well with the green used in the OE guages and radio. The shamrock is an interesting idea. It would look fine.

No...nothing I would have done differently. I am very pleased with the WR and red LEDs I selected. I also have the LEDs switched so I can turn them on or off as I choose.

Good luck with your decision, Bob. You will like having a WR.

Hangman 03-19-2008 11:26 AM

Can I asked how you have it switched and where you located the switch?

woodlands1 03-19-2008 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hangman
Can I asked how you have it switched and where you located the switch?

Certainly, I used a pushbutton switch and it is mounted on the side (cut hole thru material for mounting). just behind the driver's seat. The installation looks clean is out of the way, so it isn't noticeable.

If you can make our Houston XFire GTG on Saturday, 29th, I will show you the set-up. If not, I can take a couple of photos so you can see. I tied the LEDs into a 12v line above the right rear wheel well.

OregonRoadster 04-03-2008 09:46 AM

Best color for light-up wind restrictor - black roadster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts. They have inspired me to purchase one of the light-up wind restrictors from windrestritor.com. Does anyone have a feel for what
color would look best on a black '06 limited roadster w/ dark grey interior?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

ZERACER 04-03-2008 10:12 AM

With your color combo I think any color would look great. You can change colors easy by just changing the light bar. You coluld order red, blue, white and yellow and change them occaiionally.Personally I think blue would be great.

McCombcliff 04-03-2008 12:35 PM

The designs look great...the colors are cool...the customer service is excellent...but the two that I purchased (one for each car) don't really work that well. I'm going to try a screen or material that goes behind the rollbars as well ...there is still lots of wind buffeting. My wife could't even tell a differance after I intalled it in her car...I'm STILL living that down.

InfernoRedXfire 04-03-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by McCombcliff
The designs look great...the colors are cool...the customer service is excellent...but the two that I purchased (one for each car) don't really work that well. I'm going to try a screen or material that goes behind the rollbars as well ...there is still lots of wind buffeting. My wife could't even tell a differance after I intalled it in her car...I'm STILL living that down.

This one works well: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=23103

KingPennSky 04-17-2008 10:25 PM

We've recently added PINK and PURPLE to our lighting options just incase we have anyone out there wanting these colors.

Windrestrictor (our company and product)TM. is a 3/8" acrylic wind blocking device that comes with the added benefit of personalization and lighting effect that makes for a great head turner. Please refer to our website

www.windrestrictor.com for examplese of our quality work.

We offer this forums members 10% off on purchases. Also, returned customers receive FREE custom graphics....

Chris Newman 04-23-2008 05:23 AM

For reference the one I purchased from http://www.windrestrictor.com/ is good at 115 with the roof down - where the law permits of course ;) .

KingPennSky 04-27-2008 12:56 AM

If anyone wanted to get in on a good promotion we're taking 20% off of orders through the end of the month. We're in Vegas at a national car show but the discount code for our site is preferred20

Please send inquiries to Sales@windrestrictor.com

Thanks for the great feedback.