Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top Up Button does not always work on Roadster?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Up Button does not always work on Roadster?

We have an 07 Crossfire and sometimes when I pull into the drive and go to put the top up the button doesn't work. If I turn off the car and restart it the problem is resolved.

At first I thought it was because I was pulling the parking brake up and then trying to put the top up. But then it happened a few times when the brake was down. Not sure why it's happening?

I'd really like to know what and if I'm doing anything wrong? It's a minor issue but a bit of a pain to turn the car off and then on again to put the top up.

I know the obvious answer is take it back to the dealer as it's 'under warranty' but I've got a US car in Canada. So the warranty is void, thanks to Chryslers rules (grrr). Other than that a great car, love it!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Top Up Button does not always work on Roadster?

If one didn't know better one might think that Bill Gates may have had something to do with it. Rebooting seems to help Window applications when they lock up.

Sorry that I can't help. I've not had the problem.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Top Up Button does not always work on Roadster?

First check the trunk partition and make sure it is firmly seated, I placed a small piece of velcro on mine to make sure it does not move. If you take it to the dealer, make sure they have a "Certified XFire Tech" on staff have him check the "BCM" - Body Control Module first.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really a fix but why do you have to restart the engine? Mine goes up and down with just the key in the acessory position.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Are you far away from the USA border? Seems like if it is a warranty fix that is needed you could take it to any Chrysler dealer in the world to use the warranty. If you cross the border for this purpose it doesn't seem wrong to me...

Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM

I might try that velcro trick but it works as soon as I restart so it's not likely jiggled out of place. Although I like that idea as I often bump it tossing the brief case in.

Didn't realize that the top could go up or down with out turning the engine on. I'll try that next time and see if it will let me. That will give me one more piece of the puzzle at least.

Sounds like the 'BCM' might be the issue. We have to have daytime running lights as part of the certification rules for Canada so maybe something got mixed up when they programmed that.

On the trip to the US, that's not a bad idea but I assumed you'd need a US address or something with the registration would show it exported to Canada and the Warranty Void? Anyone know the answer.

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until it happens next time.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

just about always the truck partition...1 little move and it doesn't want to work...I will also try velcro, thanks for the idea...I was ready to permanently mount it...

Old 07-05-2008, 12:53 PM

I have that happen sometimes when the trunk is not closed properly ...just even not clicked just right...so I just reopen the trunk and close it again and all is fine. the first time it scared me ...the top was open and it was about to rain!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Mine started doing that after I installed my SprintBooster. It's not that big of a deal but I'm curious as to what might have happened

Old 07-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
Not really a fix but why do you have to restart the engine? Mine goes up and down with just the key in the acessory position.

That's strange... Mine wont worked unless the vehicle is running....

Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Talking Re: Top Up Button does not always work on Roadster?

Originally Posted by jasbran77
That's strange... Mine wont worked unless the vehicle is running....
You are right the car has to be running!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went out and tried it again. With the key on and the engine not running the roof goes up and down as long as I play with the switch. If mine is broken I dont want it fixed. I will show everyone next week at Carlisle.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM

My does NOT need the engine to run to operate the roof.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 AM

Nor does mine need to have the engine on.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ineninen
I might try that velcro trick but it works as soon as I restart so it's not likely jiggled out of place. Although I like that idea as I often bump it tossing the brief case in.

Didn't realize that the top could go up or down with out turning the engine on. I'll try that next time and see if it will let me. That will give me one more piece of the puzzle at least.

Sounds like the 'BCM' might be the issue. We have to have daytime running lights as part of the certification rules for Canada so maybe something got mixed up when they programmed that.

On the trip to the US, that's not a bad idea but I assumed you'd need a US address or something with the registration would show it exported to Canada and the Warranty Void? Anyone know the answer.

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until it happens next time.
Hi, I bought mine in Virginia and paid $120 to transfer the warranty to a Buffalo postal code. You don't need and address. I spoke to Buffalo Dealers before purchasing and they stated that it doesn't matter where you live, you're entitled to warranty work anywhere in the U.S.A. by any Chrysler dealer. Since my purchase, I picked up a Niagara Falls, U.S. mailing address where a Post Office Box service issues suite numbers to get around UPS delivery issues. To buy a 3rd party warranty, it's about $2400 C for bumper to bumper. I checked it out with my local Chrysler Dealer and they have had no problems doing work for a couple of those insurance companies. They just phone in and get approval.
As to your button problem, I have encountered that issue when I have put the top down and held onto the button to put the windows back up. I resolved it by hitting the down button again and then the up. It's like resetting the button. I've also put the windows back up using the individual buttons and had no problems putting the top up later.
Try the down button and then the up and let us know.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 PM

in The Trunk Those Divders Have To Make Those Switchs They Are There For Safty So Your Top Can Retrack Into A Open Space In The Trunk:d

Old 08-30-2008, 05:32 PM

It drove me nuts the first few time it happened to me but I soon figured out it was because the trunk was not closed properly.....so now I don't have the problem any more!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
Mine started doing that after I installed my SprintBooster. It's not that big of a deal but I'm curious as to what might have happened
Has nothing to do with SB.
On the left side of the inside of the trunk where the partition goes in the slot there is a sensor there that sometimes needs to be bent up so the sensor knows that the partition is in place properly.

Gator did you get moved and did you get your SRT back yet?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 AM

I had the exact opposite happen to me yesterday. I had put the top down, and when I arrived at my destination, I couldn't get the trunk open. After frantically locking and unlocking the car about a dozen times, I though (hoped) all those interlocks in the convertible top system had something to do with it. I cycled the top button up for a couple of seconds and then back down so that the top cover could re-latch. Sure enough, the trunk unlocked and opened fine after that. Apparently, if the car doesn't sense that the top is completely down and stowed, it won't allow you to open the trunk.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Top Up Button does not always work on Roadster?

If you are having trouble with the trunk partition......here is a fix......what I did was place a piece of velcro on both sides of the partition, this will keep the partition from possibly moving from vibration.