Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Car Cover for Roadster

Old 10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover for Roadster

This winter,I'm trying to save a few bucks and buy a car cover instead to paying for 5 months of winter storage. Snow protection/inclement weather is the priority.
I'Ve been looking at Covercraft & Coverking products, but there are so many options/features to choose from.
Any opnions for someone here in Connecticut?
Thanks.....

Old 10-06-2008, 08:30 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Car Cover for Roadster

HW, If you plan to keep it outside all winter get a waterproof cover from either of those companies. They're both good quality products. I do prefer Covercraft though. Do not buy the ones that say water resistant as those are made for inside storage only, or just a few days outside. I have one of the water resistant covers for sale but you need a water proof cover.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by hwcoleman
This winter,I'm trying to save a few bucks and buy a car cover instead to paying for 5 months of winter storage. Snow protection/inclement weather is the priority.
I'Ve been looking at Covercraft & Coverking products, but there are so many options/features to choose from.
Any opnions for someone here in Connecticut?
Thanks.....
HW: I believe you should not get a "waterproof" cover as they do not have the breathability you need. I have a Covercraft Noah, and contrary to it's name it is less than waterproof. That said, it is touted as a water-resistant cover. I use it indoors 99.9% of the time, it's nice and thick, and prevents
dings in the garage. The best thing I can suggest would be to buy a breathable cover, and get one of those plastic temp garages, this is how I stored my 1973 show Vette for the last 18 years, and it worked well.
They are made/distributed in Conn. that's where I bought mine.
If you don't have the space for one of those, then maybe set up a tarp over the covered car (not touching) to keep the bulk of the elements from getting on it. It really depends on the space you have to play with to setup
something like this.
PS: I didn't see any CoverCraft OR CoverKing cover that said it was water-proof anyway.
PSS: I'm afraid your doors will have much rust on them if you leave your baby out all winter with just a water-resistant cover on it.

Peace
Paul

Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Wow! Two opinions and so very different!

Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

Breatheability would be an issue with me also. When they shrinkwrap my boats, they always leave vents so that any dampness can evaporate. You don't want to trap any moisture in there. I think most of the covers are intended for temporary outdoor or overnight storage. It doesn't say in your post but I'm presuming that you intend to keep the car outside. Protection from the sun is a must.

If you can afford it I'd go for indoor storage. Ask around, you might find a co-worker with a mom or grandmother that has room in their garage because they no longer have a car and could use a little extra money. Just throw a sheet over it to keep the dust off.

My two centavos

Last edited by chuck65; 10-06-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 AM

I have a NOAH cover for the PT Cruiser, and it worked well but that car is not a ragtop. I bought a $40 +/- fits-all cover from a parts store locally for the Sebring Convertible, and it was made of similar material as the NOAH, it just wasn't taylored. The Sebring leaked, but the cover was water resistant enough to keep the water out of the inside of the car. It also had a vinyl top, and not a cloth top.

All of these covers were NOT waterproof covers! do NOT get a waterproof cover, your vehicle will stay wet all winter under the cover. The cover MUST breathe in order to dry off. A water-resistant cover like the NOAH cover is a breathable cover, and will allow the cover to dry on a dry day. Before you stor the car for the winter treat the top with RaggTopp.

I intend to buy a NOAH cover for the Crossfire when I get a custom cover, in the mean time I have a garage, and I have a fits-all cover that a friend gave me that I use as a dust cover.

BTW, I got my NOAH cover from; http://www.autoanything.com

May I reccomend that you are better off putting the car in storage, as long as you can start it and drive it a bit when the weather is nice (at lest once a month). This is important to keep oil on the cylinder walls, and the battery charged.

Last edited by Scottw60; 10-09-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 PM

They have some decent ones from empire. their website has a computer generation tool so you can see what the cover looks like on and off the car pretty cool.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com/

Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

depends on what you want to spend...but you can have a custom cover made for you car by any boat cover company near you...they will make them out of the material of your choice, and put in venting if that is what you want. You can even have that racing stripe down the middle you always wanted...they are custom fit to your car, which many store bought covers aren't that precise...good luck...