Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Glass separating from top...1100 miles over factory

Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Glass separating from top...1100 miles over factory

Ok, so about 2 weeks ago I noticed a leaf was in between the convertible top and the glass itself and saw the glass had separated from the top. No good, but I was told from when I bought my car that the extended warranty I purchased was "bumper-to-bumper" (which it isn't). Well I was told at my local Chrysler that the top isn't covered in the extended and that the whole top needs to be replaced and there's nothing they can do about it since I'm over the mileage. I was told at the dealer that the amount of glass that has separated couldn't have happened in the last 1100 miles, it was really a matter that I didn't catch it in time.

They did tell me to call Customer Care to plea my case to them since I'm still under the time of the factory warranty but not that much over the mileage to maybe see if they would grant me as a special case and take care of it. Well, apparently they won't cover 100% of the cost of the replacement which I think is total bullshit since it's absurd that the whole top needs to be replaced just for a faulty window sealant. I was also told by the Asst. Service manager that Chrysler knows about this issue and has re-designed the top so that it doesn't happen again.

So, if they've re-designed the top, then they're pretty much admitting that the original tops were flawed but don't want to send out a TSB because the tops are about $1,600-$1,700. Chrysler will just take their chances.

I know I'm complaining but I don't feel that I need to fork over any money for something that's defective from the factory, especially since the window cannot be resealed to the top. So, I want to know who on here is out of their factory warranty and has had this problem because I want to bring it up to my mom's lawyer or my friends who are lawyers about the possibility of a class action lawsuit for this baloney, if there are enough cases. My local dealer has 2 people waiting for tops and I know some others on here have had the issue but I'm assuming they've been taken care of by their factory warranties.

PM me if you've fall in this category as I want to gather information otherwise feel free to post

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Default Re: Glass separating from top...1100 miles over factory

GatorLCA,

Search the forum; I seem to remember in the last couple of weeks that another member had the same issue and they were able to repair it. Sorry I don't remember the thread.

Good luck

MisterTaz

Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM

I recently found mine separating on both sides around the lower corners. I used a self mixing 2 part epoxy (5 minute I think) to reseal mine. Held it together for 10 minutes, wedged a towel against the inside glass overnight and it came out great. No indication it's separating at all and it's in the northeast with a lot of sub zero temperatures lately. I haven't put the top up or down though. The next day I bought another 2 part epoxy made by the same company from a different store, but it was their 1 minute version and it didn't work very well at all. Seemed like it didn't really harden correctly. If you decide you want to try the 2 part epoxy, I can get back to you on which one worked so well for me. I did have only about 8-10" separating though, so if most of your window is separated, I'm not sure how this would work for you.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 PM

Mike I had both of mine abd Ashley's tops replaced because the glass separated.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah but they were covered under the original factory warranty, the extended warranty does not cover any part of the top, only the mechanical aspects of it. I'll try again monday and hopefully I'll get someone a little more sympathetic. I just want to gather how many people this has happened to so I can use it as ammunition. There's 2 people locally waiting for tops with the same problem

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
Yeah but they were covered under the original factory warranty, the extended warranty does not cover any part of the top, only the mechanical aspects of it. I'll try again monday and hopefully I'll get someone a little more sympathetic. I just want to gather how many people this has happened to so I can use it as ammunition. There's 2 people locally waiting for tops with the same problem
Yes they were under warranty. Also my neighbor in Miami and across the street in Cape Coral had to have theirs replaced.

It is very common.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Unhappy Re: Glass separating from top...1100 miles over factory

I just had my top replaced for the same thing.My car was just under the miles.Thay just made some new tops it took 4 months to get my new one from the factory.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron
I just had my top replaced for the same thing.My car was just under the miles.Thay just made some new tops it took 4 months to get my new one from the factory.
Mine would be too had I caught it around New Year's, I didn't so now I have to pay for some of it. I'm going to try and convince the dealer that I bought it from to pay for the rest of the job since their guy sold me the extended warranty as "an extension of your factory bumper-to-bumper" which is completely false . I know it's my word against theirs but they'd only have to pay $500 or so instead of the whole $2k+

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Did you get the Chrysler Maxcare Extended Warranty or some third party extended warranty? The MaxCare Warranty I believe will cover the top.