Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Reasons why glass separates from top

Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasons why glass separates from top

It seems some have had the glass seperate from the tops. I am curious does anyone have any opinons on what may have caused this problem. Thankfully mine is ok.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Reasons why glass seperates from top

Wow. I guees those people must be gone.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been watching the threads about the glass separation problem ever since it was first mentioned here on the forum. (Even though I have a coupe).
From what I've noticed, it seems most of the complaints have been coming from those owners living in the warmer climates. That's why I think it's more of a "heat" related problem.
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that heat may be the reason some coupe owners have experienced their headliners falling too. So it makes me wonder if it happens more to "dark" colored cars than the lighter colored ones. Simply because the darker colored cars absorbs more heat while the lighter colors reflect the suns rays.

Last edited by +fireamx; 02-16-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6vert
Wow. I guees those people must be gone.
'vert, I saw this thread and since mine is OK, I had nothing to offer. Except an opinion:

Many of our cars sat outside and environmental factors took over. Acid rain and sunlight chief among them. I don't see it as a "manu. defect" as many have claimed. Hartz/Karmann makes millions of these things, I don't see why it would only affect Crossfires.

But I've been wrong before...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Forum Regular

I'm glad not to have had the problem. Mine is kept in a garage and out of the sunlight. I sometimes wonder if its better to leave the top up or down when parked and does than have any affect on the glass seperation issue.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm not sure where I saw it, but there is a company that makes a form fitting convertible top cover that fits over the entire top and windshield. It's tailored to each individual cars design. Not sure how it's secured.
I know if I had a roadster and I drove it to work everyday, and it had to be parked outside in the sun, I'd probably buy a white cover to protect my top from the sun, birds, cats, acid rain, and prying eyes.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

I dont have to drive mine daily. It's just for fun on nice days.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my XF for three years and been watching my top for a separation but I have seen no changes yet, I also keep mine in the garage.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Forum Regular

Guy's I'm pretty sure the heat is a factor in the top separating. So always park under a tree or in a shaded area, and out of the sun as much as possible!

I'm in the NEast (new York) and mine seems to have no problems, but I do park it in a Coverit garage!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6vert
I'm glad not to have had the problem. Mine is kept in a garage and out of the sunlight. I sometimes wonder if its better to leave the top up or down when parked and does than have any affect on the glass seperation issue.

If you go to the Karmann website they recommend not to leave the top down for long periods of time.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM

I think it's due to the process of putting the top down along with keeping it down. When the back part of the top lifts up during the first motion of putting the top down, it puts a lot of stress on the window and the top. It's very taut and when the top is down, it stays that way. So I think it's a combination of the two

Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular

I'm going out and put the top up!!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Here's how bad mine is at the moment. Need to use a roll of duct tape to prop it up so no water comes in it and the weight of the glass doesn't make it worse. It wasn't so bad until I put the top down after I noticed the separation. i think though, after the one side separated it allowed some slack on the other side so it might not be as tight. Warm weather or not, it shouldn't be doing this.

Bad Side

Normal Side

Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular

I agree. Well Chrysler's not going to do anything. They are almost out of busineess.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM

I had our car detailed by the local uphostery shop and I had inquired about the glass separation on some of the cars here. He mentioned that this was a common problem with Mecedes Benz and it would not suprise him if the Crossfire had the same issues.
He did not give any reason as to why, but my guess would be the adheasive given up during hot weather as suggested. I park our car out doors and I have not notice any separation as yet. Sorry for your trouble there, perhaps a good Uphostery shop can make that repair. Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 PM

I have a Roadster and I noticed when driving with the windows clear down and driving at higher speeds above, say 40 mph and higher, that the rear window begins to shake a lot and if you raise the windows up that shaking stops. So it may be a vibration problem also, over time. You can lower the windows a couple of inches and it will not vibrate. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by APM28
I have a Roadster and I noticed when driving with the windows clear down and driving at higher speeds above, say 40 mph and higher, that the rear window begins to shake a lot and if you raise the windows up that shaking stops. So it may be a vibration problem also, over time. You can lower the windows a couple of inches and it will not vibrate. Has anyone else noticed this?
I have to agree. There is a lot of movement in the window and the faster you go the more the shaking.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by APM28
Yep, I was going to mention this too. High speed runs should be made with the top down or with the windows shut.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:39 PM

I know it would look goofy as heck, but you have to wonder if the Crossfire wouldn't benefit from a side window "vent wing" like all cars had back in the 60's. It would probably alleviate the wind buffeting problems even in the coupes.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM

This was in a past thread and sounds like it might have worked if you are out of warranty

Thanks TIGHED1 you were right. I passed on the permatex after trying it on some plastic scrap. Wound up using 3MSuper Weatherstrip Adhesive. It seems to have done the job. With my wife crammed in behind the driver seat pushing out with a wad of old towels and me onthe outside with a wallpaper roller we managed to do a fairly respectable job. Of course I did a lot of masking of the area beforehand and covered to body area to protect from spills. It took about 20 minutes once we started-this stuff sets up fast. We'll see how it is tomorrow morning. It seemed to be holding quite well. Ken (plym69)

Quick Reply: Reasons why glass separates from top