Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL)

Old 03-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL)

Hi all. My name is Bob, and I'm a Roadster-holic.

My 2005 Roadster has about 37k on the odometer. I do have Chrysler's Maximum Care extended warranty. It turns out that my 3rd brake light - also called a center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL), has several LED's out. My local mechanic took a peek at it and said the whole thing is a sealed unit and has to be changed. I phoned the dealer to schedule an appointment, and was advised that the CHMSL is not covered under any extended warranty. I declined the service, and wrote a letter to the extended warranty arbitrator requesting him to review the policy regarding the LED module. I am still waiting for the result (it has only been a week). In the mean time, I was advised that I could order one from Chrysler for $178.00, not installed. My local mechanic will throw it in for about 20 bucks. I am holding off to see what the arbitrator says.
Has anyone with an extended warranty had a similar problem? I am curious to know how it was handled. Does anyone know of an aftermarket vendor for the CHMSL? Is LED failure common on this car?

Thanks!

Bob

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0001.JPG (4.65 MB, 24 views)
Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL)

Max Care doesn't cover any plastic lenses, but you might have an argument in this case.

Keep us advised!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM

My boyfriend was the service mgr. at Chrysler for 5 years...he said that this is a common problem with the Xfires. My roadster is doing the same thing, but only some of the time. It seems like cold weather worsens the problem, but if I hold down the brake pedal long enough, most of them seem to turn themselves back on. It's almost like some of the LED's are "lazy" and take a while to warm up, if they do at all.

So you're not alone! I'm going to be replacing mine in the next month or so...It looks horrible from behind when only some of the LED's work.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 AM

I noticed the same thing on mine about a week after I had purchased it. I purchased the Max Care warranty also, and the dealer replaced it free of charge (after I made a stink about the problem.) Maybe you should contact another dealership and see if they will do it for you? I know some of these Chrysler dealers can be very difficult to work with... good luck!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM

Our third light went out the first month of ownership of our 2005 Roadster. The dealer replaced it and the a set of wiper blades at the same time at no cost to us, It has something to do with the dealer I feel.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 05LtdRoadster
I noticed the same thing on mine about a week after I had purchased it. I purchased the Max Care warranty also, and the dealer replaced it free of charge (after I made a stink about the problem.) Maybe you should contact another dealership and see if they will do it for you? I know some of these Chrysler dealers can be very difficult to work with... good luck!
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the dealer replaced it under the 3/36 warranty, Max Care, or if you bought it pre owned, was it covered under the 90 day used car warranty?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 AM

We bought it new, with less then 200 mile on it, and also purcahsed the extended warranty. We had the same dealer replace 2 of the 4 oxygen sensor and both headlamps and both interior door handles with no cost to us.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM

I just replaced my third high mounted brake light at 26000 miles and I could not find an aftermarket. My friend at a collision shop got it for me including NYS tax for $144. His cost was $178 before tax. Very easy to install--remove trunk lid liner and then only four screws and a plug in electrical connection. It was replaced after NYS safety inspection revealed that the light was barely visible.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM

That was the first thing I replace when I got my XF. Several lights out when I bought it, but with my deductible and time lost driving back & forth, the $125 was worth it. Couldn't live with it once I found out some bulbs were burned out!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by No1Bobo
Hi all. My name is Bob, and I'm a Roadster-holic.

My 2005 Roadster has about 37k on the odometer. I do have Chrysler's Maximum Care extended warranty. It turns out that my 3rd brake light - also called a center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL), has several LED's out. My local mechanic took a peek at it and said the whole thing is a sealed unit and has to be changed. I phoned the dealer to schedule an appointment, and was advised that the CHMSL is not covered under any extended warranty. I declined the service, and wrote a letter to the extended warranty arbitrator requesting him to review the policy regarding the LED module. I am still waiting for the result (it has only been a week). In the mean time, I was advised that I could order one from Chrysler for $178.00, not installed. My local mechanic will throw it in for about 20 bucks. I am holding off to see what the arbitrator says.
Has anyone with an extended warranty had a similar problem? I am curious to know how it was handled. Does anyone know of an aftermarket vendor for the CHMSL? Is LED failure common on this car?

Thanks!

Bob
Hi all,
I received an acknowledgment of correspondence from Chrysler today regarding the CHMSL. I phoned them to learn the status of my case. It seems that they will not budge on anything until I get the car diagnosed from the dealer. I explained that it is blatantly obvious that the CHMSL is failing; to no avail. I explained that I could purchase the unit and install it myself for $178.00. What I would prefer is for the dealer to install it for the $100.00 deductable. The rep said he would work with me because I am a loyal Chrysler owner (XF makes #6) and implied that he would have my dealer install it for $178.00. He elaborate that the dealer punches the part number in the computer and it tells him whether or not it is a covered item. The CHMSL is not a covered item. I asked him to whom I could petition to have the CHMSL added to the 'covered' list - but he had no answers.
Due to time constraints and the relative distance from my home to the dealership, I think I will pass on his offer and order the item for a self install.

I hope this has helped some of you. It is not the result that I, personally, was looking for, but I think it was a fair compromise.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First of all, it could be argued that it is a safety issue (like the seat belt). But my honest opinion... I wouldn't bother to replace it. If there are only a few leds out it is probably safer. It attracts attention to people behind you and they notice it more if it looks like a few are out. But I wouldn't replace it anyway. To me it is not that important. The third brake light is an added security feature and lets be honest... I have been rear ended and people drive like idiots. You could have flashing colors and a naked woman dancing on the roof of your car and people still won't see you! Some people are so drugged up on anti-depressants and other drugs they wouldn't see a UFO if it landed in their back yard. Some people are simply on cloud nine!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 PM

I have an 07 Roadster with only 13k on odometer, same thing. Would not pass NYS Inspection. Dealer replaced it under warranty. No questions. Also after sitting all winter both sides were weeping oil out top part of valve cover gasket. Fixed by dealer under warranty... Maybe you need to check another dealer.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gateguy
I have an 07 Roadster with only 13k on odometer, same thing. Would not pass NYS Inspection. Dealer replaced it under warranty. No questions. Also after sitting all winter both sides were weeping oil out top part of valve cover gasket. Fixed by dealer under warranty... Maybe you need to check another dealer.
It is funny how guys like us won't pass inspection, but the guy that just rear ended you passed inspection when his car is falling part with broken mirrors, windows, tires that are bald and black smoke blowing out of the tail pipe. You gotta love NY! That is why I moved the heck out of that crappy state years ago.