Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Chrysler Warranties

Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrysler Warranties

All,

Just saw that the gov is not going to fund anymore bailouts for Chrysler.

I have a LifeTime waranty that I got last year on a new 06 roadster, should I, could I cancel it and get that warranty money back?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler Warranties

Today's WSJ reports that the gov't will back GM & Chrysler warranties (not sure what that means though).

Obama will announce his auto plan at 11 today, which is supposed to include giving Chrysler another 30 days to strike a viable deal with Fiat.

You may as well wait to see what happens before cancelling your warranty.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the government made the car companys set up an account for warrantys. the warranty portion is like a 3rd party to chrysler. (chrysler service contracts). as for factory warrantys, I have to check to see if there are apart of that. I dont see it wouldnt be

Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harbor
Today's WSJ reports that the gov't will back GM & Chrysler warranties (not sure what that means though).

Obama will announce his auto plan at 11 today, which is supposed to include giving Chrysler another 30 days to strike a viable deal with Fiat.

You may as well wait to see what happens before cancelling your warranty.
The Messiah will fix everything... put your hands out and he will fill them up with the change that he promised everyone (coins).

Old 03-30-2009, 10:50 AM

wouldn't that be a breach of contract on Chrysler's part?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

If the car companies who make the parts and support the dealers fail, how good will a warrantee be?

Will the Government have to run a parts company to source and distribute parts to support the warrantee program they promised to back up?

Will Obama tell Diamler they have to supply parts and fix our cars? Will the Germans still love him after that?

Stay tuned tomorrow for more episodes of the Saga of "Barry and the Beast."
This could get interesting.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-30-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM

Gvt. is guaranteeing the warrenties also based on what I just read on MSNBC.com. Don't worry

Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by hwcoleman
Gvt. is guaranteeing the warrenties also based on what I just read on MSNBC.com. Don't worry
True. In a couple more months, the warranttee may be the least of our worries.

roadster with a stick

Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by hwcoleman
If it's on MSNBC, I'm worried. I too have the bumper to bumper lifetime that automatically came with the 7/70...after that period, it is a $500 deductible which will only be used for those items over $500. Part of me, but only a small part, really wouldn't mind canceling mine if I can (I should check) so I can begin mods to the car after the 3/36 wears out...at 22k +, that won't be very long.

As to the govt. guaranteeing anything, that is like the old saying "trust me I'm from the government and I'm here to help" riiiiight

Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Unhappy Re: Chrysler Warranties

From what I have heard on tv, only warranties on new cars would be backed by the government,if Chrysler or GM file for bankrupcy.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Forum Regular

Warranty is not the issue. Parts is the main issue. If their are no stinkin parts then how will you fix the car, even if under warranty. Obama needs to ensure he has a plan to deal with this.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OK, so my ten years in a dealership get to finally come in handy for something other than getting my friends great deals on cars! Woo Hoo!!

Here is the deal on warranties ... depends on your state. In some states, like Florida, your warranty is treated as insurance so the warranty company has to keep a percentage of the funds in a secure account for future warranty claims even if the company goes out of business. Other state, like Georgia, are less regulated. One of the easiest way to know is if you were able to negotiate on the warranty. Secured warranties have the prices typically registered with the state, like insurance, and are non negotiable. I only know the rules in a few states, so I would check to see how your state is regulated. Anyone with a Florida based warranty is going to be good to go!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Justin, time to chime in, get some research done and tell us what you find out about warranties from Chrysler, and warranties sold in Wisconsin. I'm not too worried about it either all in all, parts is what I'm most concerned about. They should be good for quite awhile, but in the long run I'd expect that some mods will have to be made. How do you fix a 1060 Studebaker? Are there still sufficient parts to be found on those relatively rare cars too? Mark

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM

warrantys wouldnt be the issue. parts are made now for 7 years out. they are stocked up also right now. its federally mandated. aftermarket parts and junk yards will be available. a local guy is picking up his new headlamps tomorrow. anything can happen but if they go bankrupt then it will be taken over with a new plan. florida it is illegal to sell a warranty for less than retail. the nationwide company itself is like a third party to chrysler and they have a seperate account that funds are stored for the warrantys. thats how i can offer discounts on warrantys. chrysler has sent us the prices but there are surcharges on lot of things and thats why the price has gone up.

Last edited by beanerneon; 03-31-2009 at 09:57 AM.