Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top not coming down

Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top not coming down

I've had my SRT in the shop for almost three weeks now because the dealer has been unable to get the top to come down. They have tested the limit switches and replaced the sensors, now they are waiting on a "module". It appears to me they have no clue. Has anyone experienced problems with the soft top and how have they had it resolved? Is it really that complex?

Thanks,

Rick

Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Top not coming down

It's not that complex. Most of the time it has to do with the safety switch being engaged properly.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by FP
It's not that complex. Most of the time it has to do with the safety switch being engaged properly.
Are you buying the sensor and module story?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rickms
Are you buying the sensor and module story?
I guess that's a possibility. I hope they know what they are doing.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rickms
I've had my SRT in the shop for almost three weeks now because the dealer has been unable to get the top down.

Thanks,

Rick
Have you tried slipping acouple of dollar bills under the hood?

Just a thought.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I won't say it can't happen, but I have yet to read about a failed softop. Having said that, it was because of the complexity of the cables that I bought an extended warranty.

Almost every softop issue on this forum is due to not firmly adjusting the partition in the trunk. It has to be slid back (towards you) and then up to engage the sensors fully. If it isn't fully engaged, once you undo the top latch and push the console button it just beeps at you.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I won't say it can't happen, but I have yet to read about a failed softop. Having said that, it was because of the complexity of the cables that I bought an extended warranty.

Almost every softop issue on this forum is due to not firmly adjusting the partition in the trunk. It has to be slid back (towards you) and then up to engage the sensors fully. If it isn't fully engaged, once you undo the top latch and push the console button it just beeps at you.
The other day My top wouldnt open. I went back to the trunk and the trunk wouldnt open. Hit the lock switch, no go. Locked the top shut the car off, lock and unlock, go to open trunk nothing.

I dont know what happened but something free'd alowing the trunk to open and the top to finally drop.

Was about 3 minutes of worry.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Question Re: Top not coming down

Yea, I just bought my 05 and the top only goes down when it feels like it. I can't figure it out. How many sensor switches is there? The rear trunk shelf sensor tests out ok, there is one for the rear top latch, and I haven't found one for trunk lid, How many is there? When it works, it works fine for a couple days. Then it won't. I know the dealer is going to charge me a lot to figure it out. Help.........

Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

I had the same problem, it was a switch in the front release handle “thingy” After it was replaced I had the same problem again. Now when it happens I just turn the handle a few times (forcefully) and it works. I read somewhere in the forum that it can be adjusted. I guess one day I'll need to take it apart and see for myself.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM

I have had same thing happen to me this weekend! Had it in the shop last week and they replaced the module in the trunk and also the lock control module in the trunk. Worked this weekend great! Then Monday morning it was stuck down!. Dealers looking at it now and scratching their heads. Says its not throwing any codes. Im thinking the Body control module under the hood next. If anyone figures this out, plse put it in the thread! I guess this a common thing for the roadsters. I told the dealership about the thread of the handle messing up and can be adjusted. They said they would look into that..

Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Did you try playing some stripper music?

Couldn't resist....

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 PM

I found that our top would not go down with the trunk lid ajar or not fully closed. I also found that you had to have the partition in correct place as well. I imagine that a trunk lock would be another safety factor as well as the windows being down. haven't confirmed that.
I do know that you do NOT want to close the door without latching the top in place with the windows up! It could break the window out if it hits the frame work.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Yup! did all that. Fiddled with the partition (the switch was replaced) Made sure the trunk was shut good (By the way, I love my car but the trunk lock is a very bad design! no rear key lock, no inside trunk release) Only way to open it is with the door locks or the key fob! If your door lock module goes out, your screwed because its in the trunk! Happened to me! Dealership had to take parts off to get to open the trunk. So I had the panel relay and the door lock module thats in the trunk replaced and all worked great for a weekend and then stopped! doors wont lock/unlock and top wont go up or down! They scratching their heads at the dealership, because its not throwing codes. Only thing thats left is the Body control module under the hood. eith that or maybe the partition switch be adjusted as some say you can do, or the handle on the roof to pull it down. Very frustrating!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Oh nice Windrestricter Erazer! I just ordered one myself. Ill post some pics of it on the forum as soon as I get it and get a car out of the shop to put it on! ;-)

Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM

My wife left work yesterday and wanted to put top down and it did nothing but beep, and flash light. Boy, was she MAD......I came home last night and checked it out, all I did was flick the switch on the console back and forth a couple times and it worked. Not sure exactly what I did...... It worked fine this morning when she left for work. I'll wait and see if she has trouble this afternoon again. She said if it don't work, she's going to set the car on fire.........AAHHH I told her to play' stripper' music when she puts it down....she gave me that look I really wish I could figure out this problem....

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to chime in on this one. . .

Chrysler does NOT know what the hell they are talking about. When I bought my car, it didnt come with a manual. I had the beep issue. I called chrysler and explained things to me and they stated that my motor was broken and I was under warranty and to come in. I didnt like the answer so I went to another Chrysler dealership. I talked to the sales rep. He walked outside, we checked everything, he said again, its broken man. Im sorry. I was pissed! 2 hours later, it was a user error on my part, didnt push up enough once I unlatched the top. NEVER TRUST THE DEALERSHIP.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Well.... yesterday my wife couldn't get top down again.. It worked fine in the morning when she left for work. After car sits in parking lot all day in sun, it won't work. I even met her and tried everything, I could not get it to do anything but beep and flash. Then last night when I got home around midnight, after car sits in cool garage for hours, it worked. Maybe it's some kond of temperature issue with the sensor switches? I found another sensor on the top I didn't know about. It's on the top frame above the passenger window. It was all pasted up with white greese, I guess it senses that the front of the top is lifted up or down after it as unlatched. Well anyway I cleaned it up and checked adjustment. Does anyone have service manual showing where all the sensors and controls are, trouble shooting or wiring for top operation? I really would like to figure this out, before I end up going it to the dealer and have them rip me off replacing parts. I don't trust dealer mechanics, it's not there car, and I don't think they really care much .......

Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rayman1946
Well.... yesterday my wife couldn't get top down again.. It worked fine in the morning when she left for work. After car sits in parking lot all day in sun, it won't work. I even met her and tried everything, I could not get it to do anything but beep and flash. Then last night when I got home around midnight, after car sits in cool garage for hours, it worked. Maybe it's some kond of temperature issue with the sensor switches? I found another sensor on the top I didn't know about. It's on the top frame above the passenger window. It was all pasted up with white greese, I guess it senses that the front of the top is lifted up or down after it as unlatched. Well anyway I cleaned it up and checked adjustment. Does anyone have service manual showing where all the sensors and controls are, trouble shooting or wiring for top operation? I really would like to figure this out, before I end up going it to the dealer and have them rip me off replacing parts. I don't trust dealer mechanics, it's not there car, and I don't think they really care much .......

I've had a problem with the sensor at the top frame on the passenger side but mine works just the opposite I have problems when its cool or cold. If the problem is with that sensor when you unlatch the top the windows wont go down so if the windows are going down thats probably not the problem. Pat

Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 AM

When I unlatch the front of the top , the windows do go down ok. After you push the front of top up into position, thats when beeps and flashing light starts, and nothing happens......

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm sure this is too obvious, but if the windows go down when the top is unlatched (btw, I always put my windows down manually first), then I suspect the partition in the trunk is not in place. I've only had problems a couple times with the beeping and the flashing button, and both times it was solved by removing and re-setting the partition firmly towards me and up so it fully engaged the sensors on the hooks.

Quick Reply: Top not coming down