Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from my engine compartment???

Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from my engine compartment???

Originally Posted by Infinite
and its still an automatic
Id have to put a manual behind a motor like that... Just make a flywheel adapter and a spacer for the bellhousing and boom... 6spd
Why would you want it to be manual? Automatic is more consistant and I would like to see you shift faster, maintain control, Every shift.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from my engine compartment???

I've been racing since birth, its not hard.
I like being in full control of the car and for motorsports other than drag racing, automatics are pointless

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure am glad that these young kids know everything and can do it better.......

Us older folks should just sit in our rockers and get out of the way......

Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 PM

basically

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I like being in full control of the car and for motorsports other than drag racing, automatics are pointless
Well, when you build your car, you can do whatever you want but this car was designed from the beginning to be a street/strip car. Yes it will still do the twisties at the dragon just fine but it's an all out go fast car and a manual has no place in it. Yes, it might be fun rowing through the gears but everything is about compromise and this MB transmission is just too shitty to use for that. I had one myself and it's junk for any hard core application. To and from work or the Sunday drive it would be more than adequate for but anything more than that and good luck. There is a pretty good reason why you won't find a manual in ANY of the MB's that put out serious HP. And to the part about you saying they are pointless, I think your comment was more or less pointless since you argue this in just about every thread. You're very knowledgeable but you can't always voice your opinion as fact. You rub people the wrong way and as much as I've tried to look past it, I can't any more. You're not always right, you don't know everything about this car, you don't know everything about life and the sooner you realize it and act accordingly, the sooner your knowledge will be appreciated. Sorry to come across as a **** but you need to hear it.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
Well, when you build your car, you can do whatever you want but this car was designed from the beginning to be a street/strip car. Yes it will still do the twisties at the dragon just fine but it's an all out go fast car and a manual has no place in it. Yes, it might be fun rowing through the gears but everything is about compromise and this MB transmission is just too shitty to use for that. I had one myself and it's junk for any hard core application. To and from work or the Sunday drive it would be more than adequate for but anything more than that and good luck. There is a pretty good reason why you won't find a manual in ANY of the MB's that put out serious HP. And to the part about you saying they are pointless, I think your comment was more or less pointless since you argue this in just about every thread. You're very knowledgeable but you can't always voice your opinion as fact. You rub people the wrong way and as much as I've tried to look past it, I can't any more. You're not always right, you don't know everything about this car, you don't know everything about life and the sooner you realize it and act accordingly, the sooner your knowledge will be appreciated. Sorry to come across as a **** but you need to hear it.

rudy get out of my head!!!! mister taz your ride is awesome. im totally amazed at what the members can do with some knowledge and persistence. congratulations!!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 PM

Mr Taz, congrats.. That is just sweeeeet!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
I know, im working on that and I apologize for my behavior.

I know what the car was built for and it will serve is purpose beautifully, im jealous too. I've been looking at these motors they are just very very cost prohibitive, at least for a full time college student like myself. I think for high power applications the automatics are the way to go in these cars, I've seen people making tons of power with little more than a solenoid upgrade... but on the same hand, no one has really found where the limit of the manual is. HDDP hasnt posted in awhile so Im not sure how the manual stood up to the amg motor and track abuse. Clearly the aftermarket (what little there is) favors the automatics since every single "performance" mercedes application runs the automatic transmissions. I think MB/Chrysler really screwed the pooch not offering some sort of manual with the SRT's. Thats really the only thing that stopped me from buying one (cheaper than the NA I have now too, lol) Im working on developing parts for the manual tranny with a few local companies, because I'd really like to see people with NA's running down SRT's at the track

Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This question goes out to either Paul or Rudy. I'm totally unfamiliar with Mercedes V8's, how they sound etc.. But since it's still a V8 configuration, (with a good set of "Flow Masters") are we talking a potential "small block" American V8 howl?

Last edited by +fireamx; 05-26-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM

I've heard a straight pipes clk430 before. They have the same v8 grumble but its no where near as deep, a little higher pitched than most v8s.

has to due with ports, cylinder head design, cams, etc

still sounds good though

Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think MB/Chrysler really screwed the pooch not offering some sort of manual with the SRT's.
Try doing some research on AMG and manuals. Since you seem to know everything, I'm sure you'll be able to figure out why the manual was never an option.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 PM

I know why it wasn't offered.. the fix is as simple as mercedes having a new flyhweel made to fit the amg motors crank pattern.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM

I know, im working on that and I apologize for my behavior.

I know what the car was built for and it will serve is purpose beautifully, im jealous too. I've been looking at these motors they are just very very cost prohibitive, at least for a full time college student like myself. I think for high power applications the automatics are the way to go in these cars, I've seen people making tons of power with little more than a solenoid upgrade... but on the same hand, no one has really found where the limit of the manual is. HDDP hasnt posted in awhile so Im not sure how the manual stood up to the amg motor and track abuse. Clearly the aftermarket (what little there is) favors the automatics since every single "performance" mercedes application runs the automatic transmissions. I think MB/Chrysler really screwed the pooch not offering some sort of manual with the SRT's. Thats really the only thing that stopped me from buying one (cheaper than the NA I have now too, lol) Im working on developing parts for the manual tranny with a few local companies, because I'd really like to see people with NA's running down SRT's at the track
Last I had heard, Derek got a new toy but his crossfire was still running just fine. As far as NA guys running down the SRTs, it has nothing to do with the automatic transmission. LOL I think the only problem with SRTs and keeping up that this yellow one will have is it will be hard for the SRTs to keep up on the road trips. LOL

Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

yea me too my first race ever on the track, was Jan 4 1956 ,, i was 12 7 years later i went to round round on dirt, a few years after that i went to road corse ,,then back to drags,, in 1969 i went with a automatic tranny and never looked back, from a 4 speed to a auto you have so much more control on the car.. I'll tell you a story, I was at Bonneville salt flat running the flying mile and a guy came up to my car and said you have a auto tranny in your car right ,,, i said no it is a stock amc 4 speed,, he said that was the best shifting i ever heard,i though it was an auto,,, I ask who was that guy that was talking to me ,,it was craig breedlove, I sh@@ in my paints ,he thought my shifting was like a auto,, a while later i went with an auto, greatest thing i every did,, if it is built right,, look at my sig pt cruiser in the 12's running a auto. so yea i have been racing a long time too and it takes work no mater what type racing you do. and i am not 23 jim

Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM

I can imagine this car is a straight line highway beast.
with keeping up with the SRT's I meant if more companies started producing viable horsepower adders... turbo kits, cams, forged internals, etc. at reasonable prices... not 1900 for a pair of cams that adds 10hp. I think theres so much potential trapped in these motors and all it takes is someone taking the time to do the legwork.

Im still looking for a spare motor/block because I need to measure a bunch of crap for ARP and Cometic to start producing studs and gaskets. I have a guy that wants me to send him the heads to work out a CNC porting program, he also wants to produce springs and retainers. I'm trying to get in touch with Web or another company about having cams produced, even if they are regrinds.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
yea me too my first race ever on the track, was Jan 4 1956 ,, i was 12 7 years later i went to round round on dirt, a few years after that i went to road corse ,,then back to drags,, in 1969 i went with a automatic tranny and never looked back, from a 4 speed to a auto you have so much more control on the car.. I'll tell you a story, I was at Bonneville salt flat running the flying mile and a guy came up to my car and said you have a auto tranny in your car right ,,, i said no it is a stock amc 4 speed,, he said that was the best shifting i ever heard,i though it was an auto,,, I ask who was that guy that was talking to me ,,it was craig breedlove, I sh@@ in my paints ,he thought my shifting was like a auto,, a while later i went with an auto, greatest thing i every did,, if it is built right,, look at my sig pt cruiser in the 12's running a auto. so yea i have been racing a long time too and it takes work no mater what type racing you do. and i am not 23 jim
Automatics can be amazing when properly built. Im sure theres tons of things you can do with the mercedes autos if youre willing to commit the time, effort, and finances.
I've just always been an manual kinda guy.
I too would crap my pants if craig breedlove started talking to me, I've always been fascinated with the saltflats and the flying mile. Thats a place I aim to visit one day

Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how much hp does that bad boy put out

Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 AM

well the 5.5 amg motors are rated anywhere between 469-510hp and 520-530ft lbs at the crank.

if its stock, assuming 20% loss... *high side for an auto.
375-408 at the wheels.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great mod guys I was stunned when I heard that monster ,,,, Rudy did that change the weight ratio very much if at all ? just curious

Howard.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM

The motor itself weighs about another 150lbs and then all the incidentals for cooling and we're probably looking at close to an additional 220-230 all said and done. Not a huge difference overall but if we need to even out the weight distribution, we might have to put on some really meaty rear tires. Actually, we'll probably have to do that anyways just to get the thing to actually get it to hook up and not make a smoke show leaving every stop sign and traffic light. LOL

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from my engine compartment???