Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

rear brake pad configuration (s)??

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake pad configuration (s)??

Hi......recently purchased a set of front and rear Centric ceramic brakes for my daughter's 05 crossfire roadster from U.S. Auto Parts Network ( on line). I installed the front brakes today, with minimal cursing.....but after tackling and disassembling the first of the rear brake assemblies, I discovered the rear replacement pads are a different configuration from the removed ones and seem like the wrong parts. A check on the website indicates they are direct replacement ........I need some advice.

The removed pads have an integral raised 'tang' with a hole which receives a pin to hold both pads in place. The new pads are basically square with no raised portion and no hole. Is there more than one configuration? or is there a way these 'square ' pads are held in place? They are Centric p/n CE 105.06030 in U.S. Auto Parts web site....any help would be much appreciated.........Thanks, Amy's dad

Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Default Re: rear brake pad configuration (s)??

To the best of my recollection, the rear brake pads are held in place with an anti-squeal bracket. The bracket sits on the top of the brake pads, then the pin gets tapped back in. It's really simple and I changed my rear brake pads in about 20 minutes. You don't have to remove the caliper, just tap the pin out, lift off the bracket, and replace the pads.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM

I don't recall the rear brake pads having a raised tab with a hole, for the retaining pin. They must be from an early brake pad series. They were probably used until they found out the pads work fine with just the anti-squeal bracket and the retaining pin.

Tom

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM

There are two types of rear pads.I bought cerramic centric pads from RockAuto on line for short money.They work great and very little dust.They have pitures of the pads to make sure you are ordering the right ones.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 PM

hi Tom.....thanks for the quick response. The 'shortcut' is very much appreciated. I guess my concern was the integral hole in the backing plate meant the pad needed to be trapped from moving in either direction--in or out. If I read your note correctly,as well as the others , that the pads are restricted from moving inward beyond where they are supposed to ride by design.... and the pin only serves to contain them from moving 'outward'--again thanks for the welcomed advice

Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 PM

thanks gary 06.......

Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just like has been stated, the rear brakes are easy and quick to do, and you do not need to remove the calipers. The pads are held in place by the anti squeal bracket. Maybe this DIY tutorial will be of bebefit to you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DIY-Brake.pdf (813.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Forum Regular

Is it okay to resurface my brake rotor regardless of Mercedes recommending NOT resurfacing?