Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

slow filling with fuel...or is it just me ?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow filling with fuel...or is it just me ?

Man,
I have to hold the nozzle just right and slowly fill to keep the auto kick off from tripping.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Default Re: slow filling with fuel....or is it just me ?

Originally Posted by awilson40
Man,
I have to hold the nozzle just right and slowly fill to keep the auto kick off from tripping.
Does this happen at different pumps? If so, it could just be the sensitivity of the one pump....if not, I haven't had it happen to my 2007 Roadster.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

No problem filling any of my three. But I do slowly add another 1/2 gallon after it clicks off the first time. These are thirsty bitches that happily suck the gas nozzle.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Learnin
Does this happen at different pumps? If so, it could just be the sensitivity of the one pump....if not, I haven't had it happen to my 2007 Roadster.
Thats what I originally thought but I have had the car for several months and have fueled at a dozen different stations and all have the same results.
I have to hold hold the nozzle and a certain point and angle just to keep it from tripping.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: slow filling with fuel...or is it just me ?

Mine fills fast, it's painful to put near $50 in it though

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
AlG
Forum Regular

No problems with mine but there have been others who have had the purge valve inside the tank stick. That could be the cause of your slow fill up.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
No problem filling any of my three. But I do slowly add another 1/2 gallon after it clicks off the first time. These are thirsty bitches that happily suck the gas nozzle.
My sentiments exactly

Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem with mine.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM

i have the same problem with mine. i can get about $20 in the tank in about 25 minutes. i am not sure what it is. would like to find out the problem.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 573 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by grayroadster
Mine fills fast, it's painful to put near $50 in it though
Wait till your gas get more expensive, I put in (Can)$72.80 at the pump last week, the light just came on, I was stunned. I tried to round it up to $73 but I couldn't.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Wait till your gas get more expensive, I put in (Can)$72.80 at the pump last week, the light just came on, I was stunned. I tried to round it up to $73 but I couldn't.
Hmmmmmm you mean $73.60 US?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM

The problem we are having is NOT with the PRICE of fuel, rather a PROBLEM FILLING THE TANK USING THE PUMP. THE PUMP SHUTS OFF WHEN HELD ALL THE WAY DOWN. THE FILLER NECK WILL GET CLOGGED WITH TOO MUCH FUEL BECAUSE A VALVE IS STUCK THEREFOR NOT ALLOWING FUEL TO ENTER THE TANK. PLEASE DO NOT SAY ONE MORE THING ABOUT HOW MUCH $$$$$ GAS COSTS.....

Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 393crossfire
The problem we are having is NOT with the PRICE of fuel, rather a PROBLEM FILLING THE TANK USING THE PUMP. THE PUMP SHUTS OFF WHEN HELD ALL THE WAY DOWN. THE FILLER NECK WILL GET CLOGGED WITH TOO MUCH FUEL BECAUSE A VALVE IS STUCK THEREFOR NOT ALLOWING FUEL TO ENTER THE TANK. PLEASE DO NOT SAY ONE MORE THING ABOUT HOW MUCH $$$$$ GAS COSTS.....
Two years on the forum and two posts, I know we bang on about things but we know what your problem is and the cause of that problem so we aren't completely stupid.
Good luck.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I advise you slow your roll. You are asking for help, then getting snippy with a fellow member AFTER someone has posted a possible answer. I'm sure you didn't mean it but it just came off wrong.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by KimPossible
I advise you slow your roll. You are asking for help, then getting snippy with a fellow member AFTER someone has posted a possible answer. I'm sure you didn't mean it but it just came off wrong.
I'm sure he meant it, but for the OP, I would suggest that the problem lies in one of the two check valves in the fill tube.
The bottom one is a float operated shut off valve that prevents overfilling and would prevent the gas level getting too high in the tank, it also blocks the tube in the event of a car rollover. The other valve is halfway up the tube and prevents blow back of gas. There is another unlikely cause and that would be a foreign object partially blocking the tube.

Access to these valves is very hard as you have to get past the small hole that the pump nozzle fits through. In the event you got to the top valve you would have to get past it to get to the bottom valve.

The manual says that a new tank is the only repair method, but who knows really.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Sorry guys for getting "snippy" or being a little b**** but u gotta understand I was searching for a solution to my problem and all I read was "price of eggs in china" so to say and until onehundred80 posted this bit of tech knowledge I was still in the dark with my problem. And I may not have used this forum much, but I didn't see anything helpful to the original question posted and got mad and vented. Also sorry for the massive delay in response on this topic

Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

Is it possible to insert a smooth metal rod in the filler tube to try to open the "stuck"valves? Just trying to help.

Flexible rod.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM

That is literally the only way I can fuel up, using a clothes hanger that has been straightened out. Then you look like a terrorist shoving a metal rod in the gas tank at the filling station :/

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is literally the only way I can fuel up, using a clothes hanger that has been straightened out. Then you look like a terrorist shoving a metal rod in the gas tank at the filling station :/
The problem is the failure of one of the internal valves or worse internal collapse of the tank.

If you go through Chrysler for a replacement your looking at $3,000 and the last person waited over six months a year or so ago to get one. I have used tanks available, they are $300 plus s/h.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Received 354 Likes on 313 Posts

You might also be sure you set it at the slowest setting. The fast fill backs up and causes the nozzle to shut down.

Quick Reply: slow filling with fuel...or is it just me ?