Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Does the roadster really need a wing/spoiler?

Old 07-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the roadster really need a wing/spoiler?

I had a friend ask me a question and I was not sure how to answer. I know because of the boat tail we really needed one on the coupe. Heck Audi had to put a fixed one on all the TT's due to stability issues in the field.

The question that was raised was if the Crossfire Roadster needed one. It does not have a boat tail design with the top up or down. I answered that it probably helps with downforce but looking at it I also wonder if they could have skipped it... Anyone have a good responce for this?

Thanks,

-marc

Old 07-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does the roadster really need a wing/spoiler?

Originally Posted by drunkiq
I had a friend ask me a question and I was not sure how to answer. I know because of the boat tail we really needed one on the coupe. Heck Audi had to put a fixed one on all the TT's due to stability issues in the field.

The question that was raised was if the Crossfire Roadster needed one. It does not have a boat tail design with the top up or down. I answered that it probably helps with downforce but looking at it I also wonder if they could have skipped it... Anyone have a good responce for this?

Thanks,

-marc
You really see a tangible difference between the backside of a coupe vs. a roadster? Enough to make the spoiler that the coupe evidently needs obsolete for the roadster?

Old 07-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Forum Regular

double post..

Old 07-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by David Burns
You really see a tangible difference between the backside of a coupe vs. a roadster? Enough to make the spoiler that the coupe evidently needs obsolete for the roadster?
Yep, maybe not obsolete but let's say optional as it is on other cars- look at the two pictures below - Look at the drop from the roof line to the backside, the roadster is not rolling the wind off the rear like the coupe as it has a rear deck and a much bigger deck at that with the top down much like any other car on the road... note - the slk does not have one.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drunkiq
Yep, maybe not obsolete but let's say optional as it is on other cars- look at the two pictures below - Look at the drop from the roof line to the backside, the roadster is not rolling the wind off the rear like the coupe as it has a rear deck and a much bigger deck at that with the top down much like any other car on the road...
Hmmm...I'd never noticed that much difference in the profile before. In fairness, that roadster picture above is an SRT-6 Roadster, not a "regular" one. Perhaps not technically needed on either roadster???, but for maintaining style continuity...

Old 07-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Forum Regular

Hmmm...I'd never noticed that much difference in the profile before. In fairness, that roadster picture above is an SRT-6 Roadster, not a "regular" one. Perhaps not technically needed on either roadster???, but for maintaining style continuity...
you beat me to my edit - I added that the slk320 does not have one and the profile is closer to it... It makes more sense that is to maintain style continuity...

in all fairness look at the deck on a limited (it's huge):