CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Agh! ABS, BAS and ESP Light On and Spoiler Won't Go Down! (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/56292-agh-abs-bas-esp-light-spoiler-wont-go-down.html)

CDT 05-26-2012 04:51 PM

Agh! ABS, BAS and ESP Light On and Spoiler Won't Go Down!

Help - all of a sudden the ABS, BAS and ESP Light went On and the Spoiler Won't Go Down! :( I read the threads - seems to be a grab bag of problems and the dealer guess until they get it right. I made an appoint to bring my car to Huntington Jeep (in Huntington, NY). Does anyone know if these are are competent with a crossfire? Any suggestions welcome.

onehundred80 05-26-2012 05:01 PM

Re: Agh! ABS, BAS and ESP Light On and Spoiler Won't Go Down!

Originally Posted by CDT (Post 674896)
Help - all of a sudden the ABS, BAS and ESP Light went On and the Spoiler Won't Go Down! :( I read the threads - seems to be a grab bag of problems and the dealer guess until they get it right. I made an appoint to bring my car to Huntington Jeep (in Huntington, NY). Does anyone know if these are are competent with a crossfire? Any suggestions welcome.

Try a new battery if you have an old one in the car, or try a buddies battery, it may save you big time money. You just need one that you can hook up, not drive with.

CDT 05-26-2012 05:39 PM

Battery charger is hooked up - let's see what happens.

FUBU 05-26-2012 05:46 PM

Change battery. Old one is dead even though you charge it.

CDT 05-26-2012 05:59 PM

But the battery was not dead. I was 50 miles into a 300 mile drive when they lights went on. I stopped, read the manual and it was ok to keep driving. So I continued on my way. So issue with the battery, but it's 7 years old.

bluecoupe 05-26-2012 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by CDT (Post 674904)
But the battery was not dead. I was 50 miles into a 300 mile drive when they lights went on. I stopped, read the manual and it was ok to keep driving. So I continued on my way. So issue with the battery, but it's 7 years old.

These cars are very voltage sensitive. A 7 year old battery is begging to be changed. You've been given very good advise or you can take it to the dealer, it's your money.

onehundred80 05-26-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by CDT (Post 674904)

I just got an '05 and the first thing I did was to get a new battery. The old one seemed perfect but knowing the problems I opted to take no chances.
My spoiler is still up though.:p

bluecoupe 05-26-2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 674906)
My spoiler is still up though.:p

Drop by Dave, I've got a hammer that can fix that!:p

Mike1118 05-26-2012 06:24 PM

You came here for help. Change the frig'n battery. Or be a hardhead and spend big money.

Mrmiata 05-26-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mike1118 (Post 674908)
You came here for help. Change the frig'n battery. Or be a hardhead and spend big money.

Sounds like a dealer here.. throw parts at it till it's fixed.. Didn't cure 180's spoiler.. my abs decided to error and erect spoiler one morning.. yes oem white top. Per the manual the system looks for 12 volts for the abs system or faults. Tested mine.. 12.8 volts two hours sitting after a drive... 12.25 volts when ignition is turned on with stereo on (typical starting scenario). So "per the manual" I'd say my battery qualifies as suffecient for abs activation and function.. but she don't work.. another member had "simular" issues the other day.. was the sensor under the consol (yaw sensor I do believe) went bad. So "buy a battery" is not the absolute answer. A few member have had wheel speed sensors go out.. bought 4 of them from mr mopar - johns totalled car.. so eliminated that possibility too.

CDT 05-26-2012 07:20 PM

Shoppin' for a battery now.

Mrmiata 05-26-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CDT (Post 674924)
Shoppin' for a battery now.

Let us know if that's the cure.. since you were driving along and out of the blue.. andl if it is the problem I think it could sway me over to dropping $130 on a "lets see"..

CDT 05-27-2012 02:58 PM

Was going to buy a battery, but my son (who's an engineer suggested we check voltage) Checked battery - got 12.5V with car off (not started for 24 hours), 12.5 with ignition on and 14.5 with car running. Also compared the "car off" readings to a new battery, they were the same. We're now going to check the wheel sensor connections.

Mrmiata 05-27-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by CDT (Post 675066)
Was going to buy a battery, but my son (who's an engineer suggested we check voltage) Checked battery - got 12.5V with car off (not started for 24 hours), 12.5 with ignition on and 14.5 with car running. Also compared the "car off" readings to a new battery, they were the same. We're now going to check the wheel sensor connections.

I wish one of these guys that the battery replacement actually cured their problems had done a voltage check before, but I have yet to run across any post that plainly states such.

CDT 05-28-2012 06:21 PM

We removed my right front tire and found the sensor. After taking an hour to figure out how to remove the connector :( (you need to slide the metal clip down and the connector pulls straight out), we did some prelmin. testing and decided we need better testing tools. So we cleaned it up, put it back together and will continue another day. They are so easy to replace I'm considering just buying 4 and putting them on.

I have a question, how do you remove the CAB Module from the HCU? Is there a clip or something like that to release it and to pull it apart? A picture would be great.

Mrmiata 05-28-2012 07:41 PM

interesting reading if you haven't already found this one..Since you were driving along.. wheel speed sensor kinda seems like the issue for you.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tor-light.html

Since mine reared up when first starting the car - leans me towarads the abs - cab system..

Mike1118 05-28-2012 08:37 PM

No I'm not a dealer. He did say his battery is over 7years old. I'm guessing even if this isn't his problem today it will be tomorrow. I see where a few different members advised the same thing. To be honest, I know very little about these cats. Changing the battery would be my guess for about everything to do with these cars. Oh I just changed my battery the other day. It didn't cure my problem either. So I did the other fix. Black tape over the low water light.

Mrmiata 05-28-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mike1118 (Post 675375)
No I'm not a dealer. He did say his battery is over 7years old. I'm guessing even if this isn't his problem today it will be tomorrow. I see where a few different members advised the same thing. To be honest, I know very little about these cats. Changing the battery would be my guess for about everything to do with these cars. Oh I just changed my battery the other day. It didn't cure my problem either. So I did the other fix. Black tape over the low water light.

LOL.. seems the battery is the first trigger everyone wants to pull. 7 years old seems to automatically mean it's trash. I do intend to change my OEM in the next couple of months just for grins and peace of mind.. That OEM is going to die one day even though it cranks strong right now. CPS went out and I know I hit the starter at least 15 times and she didn't groan a bit on the battery side of things.

onehundred80 05-28-2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata (Post 675380)
LOL.. seems the battery is the first trigger everyone wants to pull. 7 years old seems to automatically mean it's trash. I do intend to change my OEM in the next couple of months just for grins and peace of mind.. That OEM is going to die one day even though it cranks strong right now. CPS went out and I know I hit the starter at least 15 times and she didn't groan a bit on the battery side of things.

Those OEM Varta batteries are good, Took mine out and replaced it but it was still going strong. It will be 8 years old this November.

Mrmiata 05-28-2012 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 675402)
Those OEM Varta batteries are good, Took mine out and replaced it but it was still going strong. It will be 8 years old this November.

I had put a low amp battery in my 94 Chevy truck (occasional usage) .. won't carry a charge for a week with the parasite drain.. but I'm betting the Crossfires OEM will be just fine in it when I do get her a new one .;)

+fireamx 05-28-2012 10:53 PM

My Daughter just replaced the battery in her 05, I think it came from Wal Mart for around $89.00.
Problems with alarm going off, and the car not starting.
No more problems.
My battery decided to take a dump when it was 4 years and 3 months old. Fortunately it was just a couple of days before my 3 year warranty expired, so Chrysler replaced it for free.
Anybody driving on a 7 year old battery is driving on borrowed time, and must like to gamble.;)
My battery is 4 years and 2 months old, and I'll be replacing it very soon.
Even though our Crossfire is only driven for pleasure, I want it to run when I want to enjoy it. It only gets driven 8 months out of the year, so I don't want to take a chance on missing out on even one day behind the wheel.

jerry rosewicz 05-28-2012 11:08 PM

My 04 had the original battery. No problems, so I decided to wait on replacing it. One day on cold start up the ESP/BAS light and the spoiler went up. Drove to Sam's Club and picked the newest battery in the rack. Have not had the problem since new battery installed. Just saying it is the first thing to do when the Gremlins start to show up!

pizzaguy 05-28-2012 11:12 PM

Throwing parts at a problem is NO way to fix ANYTHING, the proper move is to learn enough to understand the system you are working on to know how it works, so you can associate symptom with cause.

But having said that, three things:

1) ANY battery so old is going to cause problems for you, replace it now.
2) Many of us have had similar problems that were fixed by a new battery.
3) My new battery came to $93 at O'Reilly's. Paying over $100 for a battery seems too much (but prices DO vary around the country.)

Mrmiata 05-28-2012 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by jerry rosewicz (Post 675410)
My 04 had the original battery. No problems, so I decided to wait on replacing it. One day on cold start up the ESP/BAS light and the spoiler went up. Drove to Sam's Club and picked the newest battery in the rack. Have not had the problem since new battery installed. Just saying it is the first thing to do when the Gremlins start to show up!

Congratulations! Yours is the first case I've heard actually identical to what mine did. Kinda brings a tear to my eye and a glimmer of hope.. ;)

Just seems like "new battery" is about a 50/50 crap shoot when looking through all the threads.

Mrmiata 05-28-2012 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 675411)
Throwing parts at a problem is NO way to fix ANYTHING, the proper move is to learn enough to understand the system you are working on to know how it works, so you can associate symptom with cause.

But having said that, three things:

1) ANY battery so old is going to cause problems for you, replace it now.
2) Many of us have had similar problems that were fixed by a new battery.
3) My new battery came to $93 at O'Reilly's. Paying over $100 for a battery seems too much (but prices DO vary around the country.)

So riddle me this batman.. when the manual says the system looks for a minimum of 12 volts for the ABS and your battery is suppying over the 12 volts why would it go into "fail" mode.. at least we now know..
(A) mine supplies 12.25 volts with ignition on position
(B) CDT is showing 12.5 volts with ignition on

So should a battery be the answer we will then know.. never trust the manual .. LOL.
And as a footnote.. under these conditions "shouldn't" hooking it up to jumper cables mask this?

pizzaguy 05-28-2012 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata (Post 675413)

Just seems like "new battery" is about a 50/50 crap shoot when looking through all the threads.

It is. But an old battery is like an old person - the end is near, and there may be no warning - like with my Durango. All was fine and then I was stranded. After a $90 tow, 1 1/2 hours of diagnostics ($135), some old guy came up and told the guys to change the battery. The Durango started right up and I was outta there in a few minutes.

Mrmiata 05-28-2012 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx (Post 675408)
Anybody driving on a 7 year old battery is driving on borrowed time, and must like to gamble.;)

Gambled on my 2000 XLC1200 for nine years.. without a battery tender or otherwise. Glad I didn't replace it at 4 years "because that's the average age for a really good one"..

onehundred80 05-28-2012 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 675411)
Paying over $100 for a battery seems too much (but prices DO vary around the country.)

What you want is a battery that satisfies the needs of the car under the conditions you drive in. You may be able to buy such a battery for less than $100 at some places. At others such a battery may cost more. So do not let the price determine the battery you buy, get a quality one that is going to last. Cheap in some places means just that, cheap.

pizzaguy 05-28-2012 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 675421)
... get a quality one that is going to last. Cheap in some places means just that, cheap.

Not interested, Dave. I replace mine every three years because it makes no sense to "stretch it" and possibly pay another $90 tow bill and put up with the inconvenience.

The Durango lesson was not wasted on ME!

Mrmiata 05-29-2012 06:13 AM

I had read about your Durango..and like I say I'm not ruling the battery out. And I knew what I bought for my chevy truck.. a cheap battery. The Crossfire will get around a 750 cranking amp battery. I'd like it to be able to sit a few days (Didn't get started over this weekend at all) and know it's going to crank.

pizzaguy 05-29-2012 08:44 AM

I often leave for work on Sunday (in a rental car) and return Friday or Saturday - never have had a problem with the car starting.

I simply buy a battery that meets the specifications, just not an OEM battery, that's all.

skarlet 10-09-2012 11:39 PM

My wife's 03 crossfire has the same symptoms abs, bas/esp lights all on, the spoiler goes up after a few minutes of driving and the spoiler switch light flashes, and we get p0500 for a code, (no vehicle speed sensor), after turning the car off and then back on the spoiler will go down using the switch. but when we start driving the spoiler goes up and will not go down. we replaced the battery after the rear window fell out and flooded the trunk so it is less than 6 months old. any suggestions would be welcomed i am home for 2 weeks and hope to fix it before i leave.

Mrmiata 10-09-2012 11:45 PM

Well if you lived in the Tulsa area.. I could loan you a full set of wheel speed sensors to locate which one is bad on yours.. That's where I'd place my money.. bad wheel sensor. Mine did all of yours, with the exception of spoiler went up when I started the car and hasn't been back down since.

skarlet 10-10-2012 12:04 AM

How difficult are these wheel speed sensors to replace?

Mrmiata 10-10-2012 12:06 AM

Remove the wheel.. 1 bolt holds them in.. wire clips along the way.. the socket they plug into has a wire retainer. Easy to do.. just a little time when chasing four sensors..

You can find them in the service manual.. They are in the SRT6 section of the forum (PDF download). Just in case you haven't gotten yours yet..

skarlet 10-12-2012 11:17 PM

Well it was a wheel speed sensor, I ordered the rear ones and replaced the drivers side rear and problem solved, everything works and the lights are out. Thanks for the suggestion, I just wish there was a way to determine up front which one was bad. The bad one was the cheapest of the 4 at 55$ and the passenger side was 130$.

Mrmiata 10-12-2012 11:59 PM

Go figure how they get their pricing huh.. lol.

Glad you got it resolved.. And from what I've seen the only way to tell which one is bad is about a $100 dollar trip to the dealer for them to hook up to computer and tell you. That's why I opted for the for used ones (but working at time of wreck) for 60 bucks. Unfortunately they weren't my issue..

GraphiteGhost 10-13-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by skarlet (Post 702238)
we replaced the battery after the rear window fell out and flooded the trunk so it is less than 6 months old.

:confused: Did you check the central locking module located in the hatch bottom depressions? Water in there causes many problems and severly damages the electronics in the right side depression (mine has another module of some sort if I remember correctly, it is a bear to get to but easy to check if the flooding just happened). There are two rubber plugs under the rear towards the rear axle area. Just pop them out or poke a slit into them to see if standing water is present. It would be better if your car was leaning forward SLIGHTLY, if water is found you might have damaged electronics (if not you may still have damage just not seeable until you get into the depression). Getting in there without cutting up those foam inserts involves taking most of the trim out from sides and rear, and if I remember correctly upper (sides) left and right of rear hatch. Mine was dry but I did mine because I was reading all the problems people were having with water damage not related to spoiler or vert top window, so I verified mine was dry. :confused:

h82bL8.53 10-31-2012 09:06 AM

Hello everyone,I have an '05 roadster with 43,000 miles on it. The story about the Skreem module is scaring me. Does it have anything to do with the amount of milage on the car? The only problem I've had was two weeks ago I went to the beach about an hours drive with the top down, it was about 90 degrees outside, went to put the top up and it just beeped at me, lights for top, air foil, and traction control all lite up. Turned off the car, started it up 3 times and everthing worked no problem since, has this happened to anyone else? I had Auto Zone do a battery check, starter check and alternator check, everything good. What should I be keeping an eye on? BTW you guys are great, I have fixed many little annoying problems with the advice on this forum. I am in Tampa Fl also. Thanks for any help.Gary

SeniorCitizen 12-07-2012 02:05 PM

What other reasons do the BAS/ESP lights come on and not go out? Mine is an '05 roadster Crosssfire with very low mileage. Followed the directions in manual to recalibrate but no change.