Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

ESB/ABS Indicator Light

Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESB/ABS Indicator Light

When I started up the Crossfire (2004 white coupe, 40,000 miles) this evening the ABS/ESB indicator light went on. I know that this indicates a possible failure in the ESB/ABS system. However, when I started the car again a few hours later the indicator light did not appear. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it a computer malfunction or is it something to be genuinely alarmed about?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Default Re: ESB/ABS Indicator Light

Could be either. We need more info!

Your best bet is to go to Autozone and get the tool to pull codes...then post us the results!

It's kind of like saying...."I painted my car a new color.....what do you think?", without posting any pictures!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

APKANO is correct... There are DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) that are generated by the system when something is amis... There are also (pending DTC's) that are logged into the computer when something might be wrong in the future or is on the verge of failure...

Unfortunately Auto Zone only has a limited access OBDII reader for this engine system... So it may not show the entire picture (all the DTC's)... Best bet is to take APKANO's advice and start there to see if any DTC's are present... If not, it could be nothing but a glitch, or could be something their OBD reader can't access on the Crossfire, such as pending DTC's...

Either way, the ABS BAS ESP computer sensors cannot cause your brakes to fail, which are a fully rendundant mechanically actuated hydraulic system... If it happens again, I would consider having it diagnosed though... It could be nothing, or could be a failure of a part, or something as simple as a bubble in your hydraulic system...

Best of luck, happy holidays and all that stuff....

Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have been struggling with issues with this light on our coupe for awhile now. It comes on about every 30 miles or so then goes off. We have been recording this and emailing it to the service manager at the Chrysler dealership. They have already had the car several days for this issue and replaced the module twice.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM

According to the manual this could indicate that the ESP module needs to be calibrated. The calibration steps are also listed in the manual. I am not at home right now but just read that chapter last night. It says to either turn the key on and not start the car, or start the car (can't remember that part). Then you turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then center. At that point the ESP/BAS light shouldn't come back, and the system is calibrated (unless there really is a problem).

Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
Could be either. We need more info!

Your best bet is to go to Autozone and get the tool to pull codes...then post us the results!

It's kind of like saying...."I painted my car a new color.....what do you think?", without posting any pictures!
An autozone OBDII scanner will not show any DTC codes for the ESP system. A generic OBDII scanner only reads standardized OBDII codes that are the same across all manufacturers (aka, O2 sensor out, missfire, etc). Manufacturer specific codes require a tool that is designed to read those codes.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 AM

I had this trouble with my 2004 -- the ESB/ABS light would come on more and more frequently and would stay on...no apparent mechanical problems EXCEPT occasionally the autostick would not shift out of Park.

Took it in to dealer and they replaced a $35 switch (the one that "tells" the autostick the brake is depressed) for $250. It was not covered by my MAX CARE warranty. But it cleared up the problem.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the ESP/BAS light on for loads of reasons since it covers Brake Assist and ESP systems each of which have numerous sensors. You really need to hook it up the an MB Star system or similar at a dealer (you may be better off at an MB dealer for this) to get the codes from the CAB module. Assuming that calibration isn't the problem as posted earlier, then the problem is most likely a sensor (brake travel, break pressure, wheel speed, Yaw etc) or an intermittent connection to one of the sensors. Check the service manual for the full skinny on all the different sensor inputs that BAS and ESP uses. The CAB will also throw codes for under and over voltage which means the problem could be elsewhere, such as a corroded supply fuse contact or relay contact. Unfortunately you really are in the dark without knowing the codes that have been stored. If you can get the codes then maybe I can be of more help.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some similar issue before, ESB/ABS light goes on and of for a few weeks. I don't know what caused the light to come on, and I don't know what caused the light to go away. I didn't fix it, the problem just go away by itself.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
I had this trouble with my 2004 -- the ESB/ABS light would come on more and more frequently and would stay on...no apparent mechanical problems EXCEPT occasionally the autostick would not shift out of Park.

Took it in to dealer and they replaced a $35 switch (the one that "tells" the autostick the brake is depressed) for $250. It was not covered by my MAX CARE warranty. But it cleared up the problem.

How come it was not covered by the Chrysler MaxCare warranty? I was under the impression that this warranty covered everything except maintenance items that is is almost like a new car bumper to bumper warranty. Just curious what their justification for non coverage.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by calxfire
How come it was not covered by the Chrysler MaxCare warranty? I was under the impression that this warranty covered everything except maintenance items that is is almost like a new car bumper to bumper warranty. Just curious what their justification for non coverage.
I'm curious as well, because I was thinking about getting the MaxCare (depending on the class I choose to autox in).....

Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by calxfire
Maybe the "professional" Chrysler people on this forum can answer that question. I was told every part is cataloged and the Max Care policy identifies, thru some database or something, by part number, parts that are covered by the policy. I was told this particular electrical switch (FP #: 5101496-AB, Switch ST 8053059) was not stipulated by Max Care to be covered. Therefore, replacement was on my "dime".Cost of switch: $34.24; labor: $187.46.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by pahkcah02
When I started up the Crossfire (2004 white coupe, 40,000 miles) this evening the ABS/ESB indicator light went on. I know that this indicates a possible failure in the ESB/ABS system. However, when I started the car again a few hours later the indicator light did not appear. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it a computer malfunction or is it something to be genuinely alarmed about?
In 2004 when I bought my xfire, they had to replace steering column as lock would not hold. Occasionally the same light has come on. When it has, I just release the steering column lock and feather it's position{move steering wheel} This has always made the light go out which leads me to think it's a loose wire within the column. It is no longer under warranty and i have always been reluctant to bring the car in for service, which seems to be a universal sentiment. Hal C Oke

Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dyezak
I'm curious as well, because I was thinking about getting the MaxCare (depending on the class I choose to autox in).....
Maybe one of the dealership people in this forum, that have the appropriate access, can run the part number and see what comes up under Max Care. I thought that all major components (non-wearing) parts would be covered. What seems closer to the truth is only those parts that they specify are covered.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
Maybe one of the dealership people in this forum, that have the appropriate access, can run the part number and see what comes up under Max Care. I thought that all major components (non-wearing) parts would be covered. What seems closer to the truth is only those parts that they specify are covered.

Maybe Tod Kitchen will give us the clarification on this......he's an upfront guy and well versed on Chrysler MaxCare warranty.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Hey guys aven't been on in a while and I'm sad to say my first post is problem I'm having...

On my way down to Flordia today on 95 my BAS/ESP and ABS warning lights all come on and my spoiler button on the dash started flashing so I pulled over and turned the car off. After a visual inspection everything seemed to be fine except my spoiler didn't go back down after turning off the car (I had to hold the bottun down after I turned the car off and back on) So I headed back on 95 and as soon as I go over 15mph the lights all came back on and my spoiler deployed AT 15MPH!?!?!?! I tried the "turn the steering wheel" method and it didn't do the trick. I need help and want to do the dealer as a last resort... but it looks like it's going back any way so I may just add that to the list.

Thanks for any and all input!!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Fire
Hey guys aven't been on in a while and I'm sad to say my first post is problem I'm having...

On my way down to Flordia today on 95 my BAS/ESP and ABS warning lights all come on and my spoiler button on the dash started flashing so I pulled over and turned the car off. After a visual inspection everything seemed to be fine except my spoiler didn't go back down after turning off the car (I had to hold the bottun down after I turned the car off and back on) So I headed back on 95 and as soon as I go over 15mph the lights all came back on and my spoiler deployed AT 15MPH!?!?!?! I tried the "turn the steering wheel" method and it didn't do the trick. I need help and want to do the dealer as a last resort... but it looks like it's going back any way so I may just add that to the list.

When we took ours in for the ESB/ABS waring light, the DC Service Manager told me that the module that controls the ESB/ABS also ties to lots of other electrical controls. You may have a bad module that's messing with the brains of the spoiler.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 04Fire

That's usually an indication of a wheel speed sensor (or related connection) fault. The ABS controller looks for a coherent speed signal from all four wheels when you move off, and will trigger the condition you describe when you get above a few mph. Check the big connector on the ABS controller is seated and locked, and check in the wheel arches (wells) that the speed sensor cables have not been disturbed.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by woody
That's usually an indication of a wheel speed sensor (or related connection) fault. The ABS controller looks for a coherent speed signal from all four wheels when you move off, and will trigger the condition you describe when you get above a few mph. Check the big connector on the ABS controller is seated and locked, and check in the wheel arches (wells) that the speed sensor cables have not been disturbed.

Hope this helps.
Well I checked everything I could and it all appears to be in the right place... So now I'm stuck. Looks like it's back to the dealer monday

Thanks anyway guys!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 PM

Any updates??

Quick Reply: ESB/ABS Indicator Light