Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Crossfire Roadster Convertible Roof

Old 07-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire Roadster Convertible Roof

A month ago I purchased a brand new 2005 Crossfire Roadster Limited right off the showroom floor. I traded in my 2001 BWM 330Ci Convertible. I wonder if I did the right thing? From the first day I drove the Roadster home, I've had problems with the convertible roof. Finally, it stopped working all together. I took it back to my Chrysler dealer who admitted he didn't know much about the car. They kept it five days in an attempt to solve the problem. The did fix the problem, but the fix only last one day. It's now back at the dealership where I bought it and they're going to attempt to fix it once again. This is not a good sign and doesn't bode well. Other than the roof's not working, the car itself is a real pleasure to drive and I like it as much as my BMW. However, if the roof remains a problem, I'll have to have a chat with someone at Chrysler. Has anyone else out there had a similar problem? I'd love to hear from you if you have.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 3/4 down the page in the same forum there is a thread about tops...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...pic.php?t=2280

Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 PM

I've found that Chrysler doesn't keep their dealers informed on their cars that well. When I first asked what the dealer thought pricing would be he said, "Oh, at least $50,000." The next day I took in a printed page from the CHRYSLER WEBSITE that said $35,000. Don't let it get you down though. Usually they employ one good mechanic who knows what to do. It could be a lemon though. That wouldn't be good.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:54 PM

Had my Roadster since June 2 and I have had no problems with my top. The car is a dream. There are a lot of moving parts in that top, and that is why I took out the extra warrantee coverage as the initial coverage is for only 3 years on the top. Not the 7-70 like the rest of the car

Old 07-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Welch
There are a lot of moving parts in that top, and that is why I took out the extra warrantee coverage as the initial coverage is for only 3 years on the top. Not the 7-70 like the rest of the car
The 7/70 applies only to the power train if I'm not mistaken. The rest of the car is 3/36.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:50 AM

[quote The 7/70 applies only to the power train if I'm not mistaken. The rest of the car is 3/36.[/quote]

That would be correct.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:18 PM

Chrysler finally located the problem with my convertible roof. Seems that the microchip located where the top meets the windshield has malfunctioned keeping the entire opening/closing mechanism from working. A new microchip panel has been ordered and that should solve the problem.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Default Re: Crossfire Roadster Convertible Roof

I also traded in my 2001 BMW 330 Ci for my Crossfire...trust me, you did the right thing.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular

I have a 1988 325I convertible and my wife is after me to sell the Crossfire and the 325 for a newer 325 or 330 convertible. Give me some of your reasons as to why I shouldn't do this. I don't want to, she just wants to get rid of two cars for one. I think it is a mistake. I love my Crossfire.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:01 PM

This is funny. I traded my Crossfire in last Friday night for an '06 330CI. Take a new one for a ride, its amazing.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cwdilg
This is funny. I traded my Crossfire in last Friday night for an '06 330CI. Take a new one for a ride, its amazing.
any pics? the 2 door isn't out in the
states yet. tia.

i sold my 02' M3 for my crossfire... many thought i was crazy but i love the rarity of the crossfire in my area. no regrets here.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:52 AM

I will try to post this afternoon if the weather warms up enough. Mine is a new two door -- 330 Ci. Convertible with performance package -- some M series bits here and there. M suspension package, M wheels, M steering wheel and a mildly uptuned 238 horsepower engine.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:00 PM

A few pics in my gallery. Just too cold this afternoon for nice shots.
2006 330Ci convertible.
I wish all many sunny days and many warm nights behind the wheel of their Crossfires!

Rgds,
Chris

Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by George Bratton
A month ago I purchased a brand new 2005 Crossfire Roadster Limited right off the showroom floor. I traded in my 2001 BWM 330Ci Convertible. I wonder if I did the right thing? From the first day I drove the Roadster home, I've had problems with the convertible roof. Finally, it stopped working all together. I took it back to my Chrysler dealer who admitted he didn't know much about the car. They kept it five days in an attempt to solve the problem. The did fix the problem, but the fix only last one day. It's now back at the dealership where I bought it and they're going to attempt to fix it once again. This is not a good sign and doesn't bode well. Other than the roof's not working, the car itself is a real pleasure to drive and I like it as much as my BMW. However, if the roof remains a problem, I'll have to have a chat with someone at Chrysler. Has anyone else out there had a similar problem? I'd love to hear from you if you have.
I had problems with my top not wanting to go down too. I finally figured out that the dividing trunk flap posts weren't in the groove completely. When I heard the posts click in place and tried the top it worked perfectly. It has happened a couple of times, but each time it was my fault in not placing the trunk dividing flap in it's groove correctly. Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular

I've had my Roadster just over a year and the top has performed flawlessly as has the rest of the car. I love the BMW as much as the next person but you're really not comparing apples to apples. Firstly although impractical as such the BMW is an occasional 4 seater (in an emergency) whereas the XF is an intimate 2 seat sports car. But beyond that the prices aren't even close. I would venture to guess (at least in the States) a dealer won't let you out with a BMW 330ci for under $50,000 while you can probably get a Limited Roadster for $30,000. You can't look at which one is the better choice without considering the extra cost. Lastly, I drove past my local BMW dealer yesterday. Happens to be a large dealership in Huntington , NY with a huge used car business as probably 75% of everything moved is on lease and they get them all back after 2-3 years. The cars are sectioned off in a lot opposite the dealer when they come back according to model type. There were conservatively 15-20 late model 3 series convertibles for the choosing. By comparison, my DC dealer right down the block I can guarantee hasn't sold 10 XF's since they've come out. There is something to be said for not seeing yourself coming and going!