Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster Trunk Lift Strut Source

Old 06-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Roadster Trunk Lift Strut Source

Originally Posted by New06RoadsterInAZ
I found a chart that shows details on those three struts - did the guy tell you which would be appropriate for our cars? (Excerpt of the chart is pasted below in case the link goes dead some day)

Stabilus Inventory for Lift o Mat and Stab o Shock at TCH - TCH

(I remember ordering replacements based on a link on the Forum several years ago - tried reordering by vehicle model/year and got something totally the wrong size - maybe for the coupe?)
This thread had the last entry 6 months ago.
The part on your roadster has a part number on it, what is it?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought these off of Ebay in January. They work fine. Strong Arm 4058 Universal 10" 35lb 10mm Ball Socket Lift Supports Struts. I purchase a brand that said it was a replacement for the Strong Arm 4058, notice the word was replacement not "identical" it did not work. You could bump up to more then 35lb such as the 4036 which is what I would do next time.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This thread had the last entry 6 months ago.
The part on your car has a part number on it, what is it?
And yet, amazingly, you noticed that there was a new post on it (where I tried to put some helpful information I found, along with a new question)...but then you didn't actually offer anything helpful beyond what you had already offered earlier in the thread. So, why did you bother? :-)

I was hoping to find a link to a currently available product from a supplier where someone has had good experience (thus going to the forum, rather than just using google and hoping - last time I did that, I ended up with struts for what I'm assuming were the Coupe, rather than the Roadster, as they're substantially longer than what I was expecting).

Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 PM

And yet, amazingly, you noticed that there was a new post on it (where I tried to put some helpful information I found, along with a new question)...but then you didn't actually offer anything helpful beyond what you had already offered earlier in the thread. So, why did you bother? :-)

I was hoping to find a link to a currently available product from a supplier where someone has had good experience (thus going to the forum, rather than just using google and hoping - last time I did that, I ended up with struts for what I'm assuming were the Coupe, rather than the Roadster, as they're substantially longer than what I was expecting).
Your sarcasm is duly noted, but you have missed the reason that I saw the new post. I was notified of it because I had an entry on it in the past.
My point was that it is basically an old thread, why not use the number on your existing part and work from it. Obviously you have no need for my help with regard to the correct number. It is actually on the forum, just use search, good luck.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-07-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:16 AM

Appreciate the good luck wish!

Will check the number (when the car gets back from the stealership, where they informed us that the lifetime powertrain warranty is void because we failed to get a 5 year inspection within +/- 60 days of the 5 year anniversary of purchasing the car, which apparently is somewhere in the owner's manual, but we didn't get a reminder or anything, and since it's been 3 years since the 5 year date (we bought it new with 53 miles in '08 - it has about 34k miles now) - I asked them to see what they could do about it - too bad. Will have to walk upstairs to the Chrysler Western Region ops center that's directly above my office and give them some feedback on their lifetime warranty...).

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Appreciate the good luck wish!

Will check the number (when the car gets back from the stealership, where they informed us that the lifetime powertrain warranty is void because we failed to get a 5 year inspection within +/- 60 days of the 5 year anniversary of purchasing the car, which apparently is somewhere in the owner's manual, but we didn't get a reminder or anything, and since it's been 3 years since the 5 year date (we bought it new with 53 miles in '08 - it has about 34k miles now) - I asked them to see what they could do about it - too bad. Will have to walk upstairs to the Chrysler Western Region ops center that's directly above my office and give them some feedback on their lifetime warranty...).

Thanks!

Someone screwed up! I got a card reminding me of my 5 yr inspection long before my inspection was necessary. Good to know that the inspection was a requirement for them not 'voiding' mine. I do worry they would find some other reason for not honoring it, only time will tell. Seems to me your course of action now is about all you can do. Hopefully, they will inspect it and validate it even though it went so long. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM

Watch me helpfully return this thread to the original topic:

I did a lot of research when I posted this original question. At the time, Rock Auto did not have a listing for lift supports for the Crossfire convertible trunk. They do now, and I just ordered a pair. There was a point where Rock Auto had a pair listed that looked like it was for the convertible, but they were actually for the coupe. I ordered a pair, and so now I have an unused new pair for a coupe.

Stabilus always had an appropriate support, because they manufacture a whole line in 10-lb. increments in various lengths. But they would not tell end users what that original spec was. And they’d spout inane garbage about liability if they suggested an appropriate force, or released the original spec. I think they were either contractually bound not to give out the original spec, or they were just so worthless they wouldn’t.

At any rate, I just guessed & bought a pair of 20-29 lb. struts (Strong Arm brand, Part #F4057). They are 10” extended, 6.6” compressed, 3.4” stroke. They’re too weak. They hold the trunk lid up, but they won’t push it up. I installed them last fall (2015), but after just one winter, I have to forcibly pull the deck lid up just to get it to come up.

The new ones from Rock Auto come next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work. If I were ordering a replacement from Strong Arm (through Advance Auto, for example), I'd probably step up to 50 lbs. force (F4059).

Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by tleed

I did a lot of research when I posted this original question. At the time, Rock Auto did not have a listing for lift supports for the Crossfire convertible trunk. They do now, and I just ordered a pair. There was a point where Rock Auto had a pair listed that looked like it was for the convertible, but they were actually for the coupe. I ordered a pair, and so now I have an unused new pair for a coupe.

Stabilus always had an appropriate support, because they manufacture a whole line in 10-lb. increments in various lengths. But they would not tell end users what that original spec was. And they’d spout inane garbage about liability if they suggested an appropriate force, or released the original spec. I think they were either contractually bound not to give out the original spec, or they were just so worthless they wouldn’t.

At any rate, I just guessed & bought a pair of 20-29 lb. struts (Strong Arm brand, Part #F4057). They are 10” extended, 6.6” compressed, 3.4” stroke. They’re too weak. They hold the trunk lid up, but they won’t push it up. I installed them last fall (2015), but after just one winter, I have to forcibly pull the deck lid up just to get it to come up.

The new ones from Rock Auto come next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work. If I were ordering a replacement from Strong Arm (through Advance Auto, for example), I'd probably step up to 50 lbs. force (F4059).
I may be wrong again but I do not think that a 3.4" stroke would raise the trunk fully, poor it is all a matter of mechanical advantage. If the trunk lid flew open there would be a safety issue as well. I doubt that the whole 3.4" is used anyway and as the stroke decreases the force required increases. The coupe tailgate just lifts by spring force, the cylinder aids in the lifting of it and holds it up on a similar fashion to the hood.
I think some help in easing the effort in raising the trunk lid and safely holding it up is the best you can expect.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 AM

--

Thanks for jumping back in - please let us know how the Rock Auto parts work!

Last edited by New06RoadsterInAZ; 06-08-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Disregard, I used the limited coupe manual,, not the SRT-6

Back with added information

??? Is the rear struts the same for the N/A roadster and SRT? The Chrysler part number is 05104925AA in the parts catalog. If your trying to install a higher pressure rod, I would suggest you also get 'beefier' mounts. If too much 'pressure' is on them, you also might have an issue with the hatch releasing???

Good luck!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 06-08-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Wrong references and re-write
Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 PM

Yeah, well, so much for Rock Auto. For the 2005 Crossfire they have 2 struts listed under Body…Lift Support.

One is a Monroe 900118 Max-Lift. The listing says it's for "Coupe; Hatch".

The other is an AMS Automotive 6189. It says it's for "Trunk".

The convertibles have trunks & the coupes have hatches, right? So I ordered the AMS. It arrived today. Wrong part. It's obviously for the coupe hatch also. It's going back as a return.

My conclusion? If you need convertible trunk struts, go to Advance & pick one of the Strong Arm struts. Maybe by trial & error somebody will eventually discover the best amount of force.

Last edited by tleed; 06-09-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:16 PM

Yeah, well, so much for Rock Auto. For the 2005 Crossfire they have 2 struts listed under Body…Lift Support.

The convertibles have trunks & the coupes have hatches, right? So I ordered the AMS. It arrived today. Wrong part. It's obviously for the coupe hatch also. It's going back as a return.

My conclusion? If you needs convertible trunk struts, go to Advance & pick one of the Strong Arm struts. Maybe by trial & error somebody will eventually discover the best amount of force.
Or you could try this place.CLICK

Old 06-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Re: Roadster Trunk Lift Strut Source

My conclusion? If you need convertible trunk struts, go to Advance & pick one of the Strong Arm struts. Maybe by trial & error somebody will eventually discover the best amount of force.
Found "lift support" for Roadster/"convertible" trunk on Rock Auto. Lists manufacturer: SACHS; part # SG414069. $12.49 each. Received Stabilus parts, same size as oem. Raises trunk lid with no effort.

Last edited by lovecross; 06-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great and nice price!
Did you try cleaning and lubing the old ones?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, did not try cleaning/lubing originals. Lazy, I guess. But, they no longer seemed to have any internal pressure, compared to new ones. Perhaps very gradual loss, not sure. Was not too obvious because the lid stayed open when upright.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 PM

Update to my post of 06-08-2016 at 09:56 PM is that Rock Auto took my wrong struts back as a return. I believe they have since changed their listings such that the struts listed for the convertibles are the correct struts now. It took me some extra emailing to get that response from Rock Auto, but they got there eventually & paid return shipping as well, since their previous listing was wrong.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lovecross
Found "lift support" for Roadster/"convertible" trunk on Rock Auto. Lists manufacturer: SACHS; part # SG414069. $12.49 each. Received Stabilus parts, same size as oem. Raises trunk lid with no effort.
Thanks for this info lovecross. Tried lube with no luck, so ordered from Rock.
A discount code of 3592302925155293 entered in the "How did you hear about us" field will get a 5% discount. Not a big deal, but every little bit helps, particularly with a large order.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:07 PM
atd

Ok guys my coupe has 16 inch extended , century dust. Has struts but I need to no lb. no numbers on stk struts. They have 28lb and up. Any one have a idea or lb number on your stk one. My struts have no markings left.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by atd
Ok guys my coupe has 16 inch extended , century dust. Has struts but I need to no lb. no numbers on stk struts. They have 28lb and up. Any one have a idea or lb number on your stk one. My struts have no markings left.

Does post #33 not answer your question?

Old 01-01-2018, 05:14 PM
4Ka

LiftSupportsDepot.com

bought a hood lift for around $65
they sell trunks struts for $20-$30 depending.
Super easy small screw driver install
and eBay has competitive other prices
but these have a warranty

Quick Reply: Roadster Trunk Lift Strut Source