Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Tire Presure Sensor Question

Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Tire Presure Sensor Question

Yes, there are unidirectional tires, and these should always rotate in the direction indicated on them.
What speedy said was he had them unmounted ( from the rims ), flipped around and remounted, this way they still rotate in the correct direction.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I always thought these were sealed units. How did they replace the batteries ?
( I understand the 'rebuild kit' - that's just new gaskets and stuff around the valve stem )
For a guy who is on here 24/7 you miss a lot.
I got Arado to take apart one of the sensors to expose the battery. There is some potting material poured over the battery and insides. I intend to try and fix a set some time.
I just need to get my hands on a set.
What happened to Arado? He said was into the longevity benefits of magnesium, he bathed and ate food with lots of mg in it. Is it possible he spontaneously combusted? He has not been here for a few years.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
For a guy who is on here 24/7 you miss a lot.
I got Arado to take apart one of the sensors to expose the battery. There is some potting material poured over the battery and insides. I intend to try and fix a set some time.
I just need to get my hands on a set.
What happened to Arado? He said was into the longevity benefits of magnesium, he bathed and ate food with lots of mg in it. Is it possible he spontaneously combusted? He has not been here for a few years.
Well and good, however a question : Do you think the coding is in nvram, or will it be lost when the battery is disconnected and you'll have to go through the coding process again ?
I have a new set of sensors that reddog sent me, I just don't want to have to go through the coding process.

BTW, I miss a lot cause I am simply getting old, unlike you.

I think maybe it stayed cloudy too long for Arado and he ran out of power and all his batteries died.
Wonder if he was German ..... Arado was an airplane company in Germany during WWII, the AR 234 was the first operational jet bomber.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM

Well and good, however a question : Do you think the coding is in nvram, or will it be lost when the battery is disconnected and you'll have to go through the coding process again ?
I have a new set of sensors that reddog sent me, I just don't want to have to go through the coding process.

BTW, I miss a lot cause I am simply getting old, unlike you.
Someone in this post said that theirs were opened and a battery replaced no problems it seems.
NVRams were they in the Super Bowl one Year?
arado
You piqued my interest so I stripped one down. It is very heavily potted with a super tough elastic polymer. The battery is a Maxell CR245HR..3 volt putting out 2.99volt at this time. Replacing it not worth the labor cost. Battery diameter 25mm. last a long time. gary

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-07-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Someone in this post said that theirs were opened and a battery replaced no problems it seems.
NVRams were they in the Super Bowl one Year?
Yea, they lost 46 - 0 to the Mosfets

Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 PM

Yea, they lost 46 - 0 to the Mosfets
That was because not one single RAM could remember a play or which way they were supposed to be going down the field.
Regarded as a dynamic and volatile team they were pretty useless on their own.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 PM

That was because not one single RAM could remember a play or which way they were supposed to be going down the field.
Regarded as a dynamic and volatile team they were pretty useless on their own.
Yes, they never reached their full potential, and their resistance was minimal.
( can we stop now ? You are PUNishing me. )

Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Tire Presure Sensor Question

Yes, there are unidirectional tires, and these should always rotate in the direction indicated on them.
What speedy said was he had them unmounted ( from the rims ), flipped around and remounted, this way they still rotate in the correct direction.
oups. My bad. but thank you for the information!

Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the bench tech humor... classic for sure...and thanks for the dissected view of the tpms.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
...and thanks for the dissected view of the tpms.

I would LOVE a 'visual' view of the TPMS sensors sans the 'polymer' or whatever it is. How was it removed, what does it look like inside that housing. It's nice to orally describe it but a picture with oral would be complete. I have yet to 'see' any of the sensors opened up.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I would LOVE a 'visual' view of the TPMS sensors sans the 'polymer' or whatever it is. How was it removed, what does it look like inside that housing. It's nice to orally describe it but a picture with oral would be complete. I have yet to 'see' any of the sensors opened up.

Post #24 is about all you are gonna get.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, unmounted, flipped and remount ed and re balanced then mounted on opposite side, that way the directional tires are spinning the same direction, but the part of the tire that was on the inside is now on the outside.
But with the continentals I can't do that, they have a inside and a outside.
I had dsw and dsw 02 on now, be my last set I buy, they didn't last very long for me, I got almost 35k miles out of the gmax's, and I think the Gmax did better in the rain.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 AM

Post #24 is about all you are gonna get.

Hi George. My sensors look nothing like those. Mine are @ 1x1x5/8" black with a poured in black tar type silicon. Has a square label on one side (the 'tar' silicon poured in side), a barcode with numbers label on the other side and end (away from the stem). If you cut the ones in the picture in half right below the stem, that's about the area of the ones that came out of mine. Very different from the picture in all aspects.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Ask and you shall receive

Lots of pictures, just Google tire pressure sensor diagram.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by deltacrossfirebob
$60.00 for all four
Rebuilt kit used on each one with new battery for each one.
Was not gonna no a 1/2 as job.
Not worth it in the long run.
Uh, Huh? For $15 a wheel, they dismounted the tire, rebuilt the TPMS and remounted the tire?

What am I missing here?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Uh, Huh? For $15 a wheel, they dismounted the tire, rebuilt the TPMS and remounted the tire?

What am I missing here?
He was in China?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Ask and you shall receive

Lots of pictures, just Google tire pressure sensor diagram.

Dave, is this our (one of) the TPMS on the XF's? That housing looks nothing like the housing on mine BUT there are (I believe) two different OEM versions. I should get un-lazy, and post a picture of the 4 I took off mine when the battery on one of em started failing. Come to think of it, it seems now there are a few aftermarket ones that are reported to work as well (manufacturers knew there would be a market for undercutting dealership service departments huh).

If it were possible to open them (mine) up, I bet it would be quite the effort and problem, to find/replace that battery (including making sure the connection was 100% fault free/corrosion resistant). Remember also, the pressure transducer must not be damaged or plugged up/blocked in any way after re-sealing the thing. Thanks Dave, for the pictures! I believe this is the first time I have ever seen a 'cleaned' TPMS board in its entirety!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 PM

Dave, is this our (one of) the TPMS on the XF's? That housing looks nothing like the housing on mine BUT there are (I believe) two different OEM versions. I should get un-lazy, and post a picture of the 4 I took off mine when the battery on one of em started failing. Come to think of it, it seems now there are a few aftermarket ones that are reported to work as well (manufacturers knew there would be a market for undercutting dealership service departments huh).

If it were possible to open them (mine) up, I bet it would be quite the effort and problem, to find/replace that battery (including making sure the connection was 100% fault free/corrosion resistant). Remember also, the pressure transducer must not be damaged or plugged up/blocked in any way after re-sealing the thing. Thanks Dave, for the pictures! I believe this is the first time I have ever seen a 'cleaned' TPMS board in its entirety!

I cannot say they are the ones in some Crossfires, about the correct shape though.
There were two makers for our TPMS, Schrader and Siemens. Are yours Siemens?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM

I cannot say they are the ones in some Crossfires, about the correct shape though.
There were two makers for our TPMS, Schrader and Siemens. Are yours Siemens?

Here are the ones that were in my 08. They ARE made by Schrader (blow up the pictures, the first 4 are of 1 sensor multiple angles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2152.JPG (642.3 KB, 18 views)
DSCF2153.JPG (683.3 KB, 17 views)
DSCF2154.JPG (652.9 KB, 16 views)
DSCF2155.JPG (649.0 KB, 18 views)
DSCF2156.JPG (703.6 KB, 17 views)
DSCF2157.JPG (706.4 KB, 17 views)
DSCF2158.JPG (730.0 KB, 14 views)
DSCF2159.JPG (697.1 KB, 13 views)
DSCF2160.JPG (685.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the ones that were in my 08. They ARE made by Schrader (blow up the pictures, the first 4 are of 1 sensor multiple angles.
Those are same as mine from '05 Roadster (man. date: 07/04). As I posted previously, when one failed, replaced all with Napa part #92-1016C. Came each in a sealed bag in box (imported and I insisted they all be sealed, one was not). Not inexpensive but a dealer tech programmed our car to them "under the table & off the clock" for few $.
So the "frequency" was correct and all is well still after a few years. My .02.

Last edited by lovecross; 02-12-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: clarification