Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Retaining clip for lift cylinder?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retaining clip for lift cylinder?

Hi all, de-lurking after a lot of reading. Inherited an 05 Roadster, it needed some cylinder rebuilds. In the process of removing the cylinders, I managed to lose one of the retaining clips for the pins that hold the top of the ram in place. While the pin cannot sneak out because there is another connecting arm in the way, I do want to do the right thing and put the clip back on. Problem is I cannot find one, and do not really know what to look for. U-clip? Retaining clip? Searching around, "brake clip" seems to be the closest match, but the sizing will likely be wrong.

Borrowed a pic from another rebuild thread - hopefully it will post with my question.

Anyone have a lead on what to look for or where? I assume a c-clip or an e-clip would work, but wouldn't be original equipment.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CrossfirePinClip.jpg (214.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: Retaining clip for lift cylinder?

Auto parts stores usually carry a selection of clips. You might look there.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply ZERACER, I hurried through writing that post and neglected to say that I've already been to three auto parts stores in the area, as well as Lowe's Home Improvement (hoping to find something in their specialty bins). No luck.
I have started scouring the web looking for a replacement, or something similar to original equipment. I've even tried looking for a parts diagram for this, and was hoping to find a part number. Nothing. Lastly, I tried looking for similar parts on the Mercedes parts sites.
I'm still coming up empty.

If I can't find one just like it, i'll have to resort to an e-clip or a c-clip. Not what I was hoping for, but it is, what it is...

Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsXF
Hi all, de-lurking after a lot of reading. Inherited an 05 Roadster, it needed some cylinder rebuilds. In the process of removing the cylinders, I managed to lose one of the retaining clips for the pins that hold the top of the ram in place. While the pin cannot sneak out because there is another connecting arm in the way, I do want to do the right thing and put the clip back on. Problem is I cannot find one, and do not really know what to look for. U-clip? Retaining clip? Searching around, "brake clip" seems to be the closest match, but the sizing will likely be wrong.

Borrowed a pic from another rebuild thread - hopefully it will post with my question.

Anyone have a lead on what to look for or where? I assume a c-clip or an e-clip would work, but wouldn't be original equipment.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
They are called clevis pin retaining clip.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-27-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You should find something in this that will work :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/External-Re...l/372215074720

Old 06-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Hydraulics
Klaus is the best

Old 07-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I really wanted to use the factory original clip, but wasn't willing to tear the entire car apart to find the one that I lost. It fell down into the abyss (right side of the car, gas tank side).

A tip for anyone disassembling theirs - cover up the crevices or pack them with something to prevent small parts from falling down into those areas.

Anyway, I ended up buying a pair of 5/16" E-Clips (two in a pack) from the large Orange Box store, 60 cents for the pair. They worked fine. I'll save the factory original as a spare.

Oddly enough, the cable for the flaps on the hardshell tonneau cover uses e-clips. Mix and match?

And it's funny that one post mentioned asking Klaus at Top Hydraulics - his shop did the rebuild on the cylinders for me. I did have a leak after putting everything back together, I had spoiled one of the o-rings for the hydraulic hoses when reinstalling the cylinders. Good thing Top Hydraulics sends spares. Replaced and repaired without completely removing the cylinder again.

Everything back to normal. Thank you all for the advice. It wasn't the path I wanted to go, but it works fine. (Probably could have special ordered something from a dealer, but 60 cents plus tax is hard to argue with.)

--Joe