Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Bad rear speaker Xfire roadster

Old 12-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bad rear speaker Xfire roadster

I think our best bet is to get the stock speakers rebuilt though. That's what I'm planning to do now.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock subwoofer speakers are very weak. I am considering aftermarket speakers and an aftermarket amplifier. I know it would be more of a hassle that re-coning the existing stock subwoofers. If it is possible to get a more powerful magnet and coil on the same frame, then we might be talking.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
The stock subwoofer speakers are very weak. I am considering aftermarket speakers and an aftermarket amplifier. I know it would be more of a hassle that re-coning the existing stock subwoofers. If it is possible to get a more powerful magnet and coil on the same frame, then we might be talking.
Read this thread before you spend any money. The answer is not the speakers.......https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-buck-mod.html

Old 12-11-2018, 02:09 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom3120
Read this thread before you spend any money. The answer is not the speakers.......https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-buck-mod.html
I thought that was for the front speakers?

Old 12-11-2018, 05:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am NOT a stereo guru but here is my understanding of what is going on with our stock stereo systems.
The front speakers produce too much bass and therefore the system sounds "muddy" or "muffled". By adding a capacitor to the front speakers, this will reduce the amount of low bass frequency going to the front speakers and allow us to then turn up the bass setting allowing the rear bass speakers to do what they want to do. The result is cleaner higher frequency sound from the front speakers and much louder bass from the rear bass speakers. You will be surprised at how much those rear speakers will kick the back of your seat.
People have used several different size capacitors. A 200uf capacitor will remove more bass frequency than a 330uf capacitor. I added 330uf capacitors last fall and although the sound is better I'm going to try some 220uf capacitors this spring for an even more cleaner sound. Everyone is different as to how much bass they like to hear from the front speakers.
When buying capacitors be sure to buy non-polarized (bi-polar) capacitors.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, I tried to locate a shop that will remove and rebuild my rear speakers but cannot locate one in the Orlando area. Looks like I will have to go with the Kickers. I have an upgraded Pioneer stereo so hopefully they will have the power to drive these new sub-woofers. I thought about keeping the old speakers and having them rebuilt by a company that does rebuilds but not extraction. Do you think the rebuilt woofers will be saleable?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alexdc
i thought that was for the front speakers?
jbl gto609c

Old 12-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee

jbl gto609c
??????????

Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alexdc
??????????
front component speakers

Old 12-15-2018, 05:50 AM
Forum Regular

Has anyone thought about using the SLK r170 rear speakers? The speakers themselves are not exactly the same but the basket/housing is similar. There's a sticker on them that says BOSE 2 ohms. I can't find out info or pics to confirm if they are dual coil speakers or not but I bought one and I will report back.

Last edited by alexdc; 12-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ed1clark
Alex, I tried to locate a shop that will remove and rebuild my rear speakers but cannot locate one in the Orlando area. Looks like I will have to go with the Kickers. I have an upgraded Pioneer stereo so hopefully they will have the power to drive these new sub-woofers. I thought about keeping the old speakers and having them rebuilt by a company that does rebuilds but not extraction. Do you think the rebuilt woofers will be saleable?
Probably old news, but there's an article on the SLK forum that shows how an enterprising German mounted conventional speakers in the back without using the baskets or enlarging the holes in the sheet metal. Just a little carpet removal (probably).

I provide the attached picture montage for entertainment purposes only. (I removed the German language, as the pictures are clear enough.)

Attached Files
Old 12-28-2018, 12:34 PM

I had the rear subwoofers replaced with 2 ohm 6 3/4 Kickers. Found a shop near where I live called Electronics Depot Car Audio at 1240 W. SR 436, Altamonte Springs, FL (407) 657-1010 for anyone living in the area. They did the job quickly for well under $400.00 tax included. The dealer wanted $1,300.00 and another audio shop wanted over $400.00 before tax. Very efficient and thorough and they have worked on Xfires before. They also do mechanical work and I am having them check out a fuel related issue as they have the scope to run the test. They also repair MB vehicles and have the parts. So if you live in my area I definitely recommend that you check Electronics Depot out.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ed1clark
I had the rear subwoofers replaced with 2 ohm 6 3/4 Kickers. Found a shop near where I live called Electronics Depot Car Audio at 1240 W. SR 436, Altamonte Springs, FL (407) 657-1010 for anyone living in the area. They did the job quickly for well under $400.00 tax included. The dealer wanted $1,300.00 and another audio shop wanted over $400.00 before tax. Very efficient and thorough and they have worked on Xfires before. They also do mechanical work and I am having them check out a fuel related issue as they have the scope to run the test. They also repair MB vehicles and have the parts. So if you live in my area I definitely recommend that you check Electronics Depot out.
i can’t wait to get mine installed. How do they sound.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:45 PM

Just fine. I really don't want a booming base right behind me but they provide just enough bass and are much better than the old worn out ones that made "farting" noises. Hopefully you will find an installer that knows how to work on Xfires. Best to shop around first and ask the right questions unless you are doing it yourself. I showed the installer the video on this site that explains how to install the rear speakers and he actually watched it.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Forum Regular

I bought an slk r170 bose 2 ohm rear sub and I will report back soon.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just ordered a set of the Kicker 43CWRT672 today. Looking forward to installing them when they get here next week.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular

The SLK R170 bose rear subs are single coils. I think they would fit right in without any modification. They seem to be of higher quality. I don't know what to do now.

Are the stock subs wired in series or parallel or combination of both?

Last edited by alexdc; 12-29-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I ordered a set of the Kicker 43CWRT672 sub woofers so last night I started to modify the speaker casing for the new fitment. Everything went well except for the speaker casing with the new speaker won't fit into the hole in the car for the sub woofer. The back side of the speaker is too fat and wide and I just noticed the speaker grill won't fit over the new speaker either. For anybody who has done this is there a something else that has to be modified to make it fit? Everything that I have read says that you only have to modify the casing a little and all is fine. I have attached some pictures to show what the new speaker looks like after the casing is modified. I guess I'll have to fix the foam ring around the speakers so I can still have bass.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Pat, is it possible that the roadster speaker area is different than the coupe speaker area?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
Well I ordered a set of the Kicker 43CWRT672 sub woofers so last night I started to modify the speaker casing for the new fitment. Everything went well except for the speaker casing with the new speaker won't fit into the hole in the car for the sub woofer. The back side of the speaker is too fat and wide and I just noticed the speaker grill won't fit over the new speaker either. For anybody who has done this is there a something else that has to be modified to make it fit? Everything that I have read says that you only have to modify the casing a little and all is fine. I have attached some pictures to show what the new speaker looks like after the casing is modified. I guess I'll have to fix the foam ring around the speakers so I can still have bass.
I had my kickers installed professionally for around $ 400.00 including the speakers. No problem with the installation. You may want to consider this. I have the SRT6 roadster.

Quick Reply: Bad rear speaker Xfire roadster