Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convertible Top Recall Number

Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Recall Number

Could someone post the recall number from Chrysler pertaining to the rear window detaching from the top. I had it saved somewhere and can no longer locate it.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Convertible Top Recall Number

Originally Posted by gragonese
Could someone post the recall number from Chrysler pertaining to the rear window detaching from the top. I had it saved somewhere and can no longer locate it.

Didn't that recall only cover a 10 year period? I don't have that number but kinda remember that it was only 10 years. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

GG is right, you are wasting your time, the extended warranty was only for cars originally sold in the south and was for ten years from date of first delivery.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
GG is right, you are wasting your time, the extended warranty was only for cars originally sold in the south and was for ten years from date of first delivery.

I am picking up the battle from the previous owner. The car has been in Miami its entire life and chrysler has been standing behind it didnt fall into the range of effected vin numbers. The PO said he initially called in 2014 about it and never got anywhere. I figured I might give it one more shot before ordering a new top

Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So, after ten years, and the glue loosens up, and (hypothetical here) the driver slams on brakes for some reason, the glass lets loose and travels forward from momentum and decapitates the driver, I wonder if they think their letter releases them from all liabilities?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Re: Convertible Top Recall Number

Originally Posted by gragonese
I am picking up the battle from the previous owner. The car has been in Miami its entire life and chrysler has been standing behind it didnt fall into the range of effected vin numbers. The PO said he initially called in 2014 about it and never got anywhere. I figured I might give it one more shot before ordering a new top
Sorry, but you will probably never get anywhere with Fiat (?)/Chrysler. The 10 year "warranty" (NOT a RECALL), was actually a "goodwill" offer made (not to the "South") but only to cars delivered to just 8 States (mostly Southern), Missouri was included but several other inland Southern States were not, even one on the gulf coast & a couple on the East coast. Florida did have the highest number of complaints, many Roadsters were shipped there. The Chrysler company, of that time, gathered up all the VIN numbers for the chosen 8 States and sent their letter to the owners of record. They chose to do the right thing for a few and limit their losses on the rest. Their decision to do anything was likely due to the high volume of complaints to their "customer service" LOL! , the NHTSA & to a few State governments, (NHTSA, upon public appeal, ruled that the detachment presented no "safety related defect".)
Practically ALL of these original parts were certainly manufactured with a "somehow" faulty process concerning the glass bond to the fabric and have or will fail (detach). (I've been curious about the possibilty of VW using the same supplier because I've seen many convertible Beetles of that time period with detachment, as well as many Roadsters in Southern Calif.) Remember: the southwest US is mostly desert.
After a lowball assistance offer from Chrysler, and encouraged by others, in 2013, I filed a small claims action, hoping simply to receive a better offer from the company. Their only response was to send two suits to the Hemet, CA Courthouse, & one was likely a lawyer (which is prohibited in small claims), who never spoke, even afterwards outside the courtroom.
I had no experience and was nervous. After a little back & forth on both sides, the company Rep. simply argued that whatever (original) warranty I had; was expired. He, of course, did not mention the goodwill warranty or the 8 States limitation. I fell flat on my face with my response but asked the Judge to look at my evidence (copies of their Warranty letter & of the Dealer Service Bulletin, found here from some of our great members). This was the first case of the day, & with many more waiting behind us, the Judge said she'd heard enough and did not allow my documentary evidence to be presented.
They won & I got nothing. Afterwards, I could tell that the Co. Rep. was extremely pleased with the fact that the Judge never saw the evidence. Obviously, Chrysler DID NOT want to lose!
My lesson: 1: Always submit written evidence when first filing your case. 2: Our Roadster, purchased new (4/05) wears a GAHH top with a guaranteed window bond, 3: Chrysler will Always SUCK, IMHO.
I have always been somewhat surprised of not having read of any successful small claims court outcomes here, as I truly believe that if all of the available evidence is presented, Chrysler could not fairly justify their 8 State limitation. There were plenty of complaints from other States. Of course, this is all old history.

Last edited by lovecross; 06-28-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add description
Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
So, after ten years, and the glue loosens up, and (hypothetical here) the driver slams on brakes for some reason, the glass lets loose and travels forward from momentum and decapitates the driver, I wonder if they think their letter releases them from all liabilities?
Please, no drinking and posting here. We do have standards.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: Convertible Top Recall Number

Please, no drinking and posting here. We do have standards.
LOL! Good one. There were no validated reports of injury and NHTSA agreed with Chrysler that personal injury was extremely unlikely.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Good luck getting money from Fiat Chrysler for repairs of a product made by Daimler Chrysler.
We may have bailed out some bankrupt auto companies with our tax money, taxes they try to avoid, but do not expect anything from them.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 AM

180/Pizzaguy, you've both been active on here forever. Recall anybody having issues with a replacement top and getting it fixed again thru Chrysler/MB? Had my 2005 done maybe 5-6 years ago (car was sold & has been in South FL its entire life) and the replacement is beginning to come unglued. Trying to decide if I should attempt to fight the good fight or just 3M the issue and be done with it.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

If you intend on keeping it forever, your best option might be to jump on the group buy for the BAS top,around $600 delivered.
They have a lifetime warranty on the window separation.
You also get a choice of colors.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mlagez
180/Pizzaguy, you've both been active on here forever. Recall anybody having issues with a replacement top and getting it fixed again thru Chrysler/MB? Had my 2005 done maybe 5-6 years ago (car was sold & has been in South FL its entire life) and the replacement is beginning to come unglued. Trying to decide if I should attempt to fight the good fight or just 3M the issue and be done with it.
There was a warranty on the new top wasn’t there? 10 years?

Old 06-23-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
hopefully; wondering if anybody has the paperwork handy on here? Have to dig through my files in storage. If I find it, I'll certainly post here. In the meantime, anybody have it easily accessible?

Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I could be wrong, that has been known to happen...but the only warranty I've known about was the one on the original top, not the replacement from Chrysler. !0 years on the original, offered to their chosen VIN numbers of 8 States, from date of sale.

Last edited by lovecross; 07-21-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone in the Dallas, TX area know of a convertible top repair/installation shop that can reattach the back window on a crossfire roadster? It has came loose on just the right hand side. Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by Crosscar; 07-11-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Administrator

ANYONE with patience can do it. That's why I've done it four times to my car -I don't have the patience to take my time and do it right.
I"ve lived in the area a year now, don't know of one place I'd take my car for anything other than the annual waste-of-time-and-money annual inspection.

(My new BAS top came yesterday, just over $600 delivered. No more gluing the window back in. )

Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Are there any new listings for a group buy for the BAS top or can it be ordered for that price individually. I am not to familiar with the BAS top.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I don't know if you can still get in on it. I suspect you can.
Email Rebecca Treherne at rebecca.web.bas at gmail.com and ask her.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 PM

ANYONE with patience can do it. That's why I've done it four times to my car -I don't have the patience to take my time and do it right.
I"ve lived in the area a year now, don't know of one place I'd take my car for anything other than the annual waste-of-time-and-money annual inspection.

(My new BAS top came yesterday, just over $600 delivered. No more gluing the window back in. )
Are you going to install the new top or are you having it installed at a local shop?? If installed by a shop, what shop. Thanks

Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Administrator

I will do it myself, with help from MrMiata, (Greg), ala_xfire (George) and Big Daddy (Paul) - and their youtube videos.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Recall Number