Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Premium Gasoline?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
VJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Premium Gasoline?

It says on the gas lid that you should use Premium Fuel only. Does anyone use the cheaper grade of gas? What would happen if you did?

VJ

Old 07-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Premium Gasoline?

isn't it only a 20 cent difference?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:44 AM
VJ
Smile Re: Premium Gasoline?

Yes, but it pains me to have to fill it up with premium when I was use to Unleaded with my 300 M.

VJ

Old 07-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Forum Regular

My biggest grudge is putting premium in a 215 hp motor, there's no reason it should have been designed to use premium if it only has 215 hp.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:20 AM

If I need an entire tank, I fill with Premium. Then at half tank, I alternate with regular unleaded to save money.

If there is a problem, the engine will tell you with pre-ignition pings. You should be able to hear this as well as feel power disruption especially under stress such as quick acceleration or going up a hill.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an extra 10¢ a gallon for the right gas (an entire $1.60 per tank) is less expensive than the engine work that'll be required if and when anything does happen from using bad gas.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 AM

The octane level required by our engine has nothing to do with the horsepower, it's all about the compression ratio, which is about 10.5:1 If i remember correctly. I strongly suggest everyone follow the premium fuel requirement, unless you want to pay through the nose for a new catalytic converter or other various engine/exhaust system parts. I'm sure your warranty will be voided as well, since you didn't follow the fuel requirement. For more information on what Octane is see here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm[/url]

Old 07-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Re: Premium Gasoline?

Originally Posted by VJ
It says on the gas lid that you should use Premium Fuel only. Does anyone use the cheaper grade of gas? What would happen if you did?

VJ
Maybe they were just kidding?

Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

...octane level is a way of measuring how fast the fuel burns, among other things. The important point here is that the higher the octane, the SLOWER the burn. Cheaper, lower grade gasoline burns quickly. In a high compression engine such as this, which probably has its ignition timing calibrated right up to the knock limit, engine knock (spontaneous combustion) can become a problem if the burn rate is too fast. Engine knock can be very destructive, as repeated knocking breaks down the thin insulation film of gas in the combustion chambers and surface temperatures rise. This increase in surface temperatures leads to pre-ignition, which can melt holes through pistons, etc. In engines equipped with knock sensors, ignition timing is retarded when knock is detected (which although it saves the engine before the trouble begins, it dampens performance a lot).

My advice? Put in the premium gas. Surely if you can afford a Crossfire, you can afford to spend another three dollars or less at every fill up.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by mjanowich
The octane level required by our engine has nothing to do with the horsepower, it's all about the compression ratio, which is about 10.5:1 If i remember correctly. I strongly suggest everyone follow the premium fuel requirement, unless you want to pay through the nose for a new catalytic converter or other various engine/exhaust system parts. I'm sure your warranty will be voided as well, since you didn't follow the fuel requirement.
Originally Posted by former NXMX5
an extra 10¢ a gallon for the right gas (an entire $1.60 per tank) is less expensive than the engine work that'll be required if and when anything does happen from using bad gas.
Just felt that both of these could bear repeating. In addition to the destruction and subsequent replacement of your catalytic, let us not forget such items as valves, valves seats, and the like. And...since they'll have to remove the head to do it anyway...why not hedge your bets and finish the rest of the overhaul? Just pocket change for you, perhaps?

Granted, this is a worst case scenario. But, where should we draw the line? And...how are you going to know just before you've reached it?

...sT

Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for you Input.. and yes I can afford the gas, just use to using reg. unleaded in my 300M. I didn't mean to sound like a pain in the @ss.

VJ

Old 07-07-2005, 06:03 PM
VJ
Smile Re: Premium Gasoline?

Originally Posted by juddz
...octane level is a way of measuring how fast the fuel burns, among other things. The important point here is that the higher the octane, the SLOWER the burn. Cheaper, lower grade gasoline burns quickly. In a high compression engine such as this, which probably has its ignition timing calibrated right up to the knock limit, engine knock (spontaneous combustion) can become a problem if the burn rate is too fast. Engine knock can be very destructive, as repeated knocking breaks down the thin insulation film of gas in the combustion chambers and surface temperatures rise. This increase in surface temperatures leads to pre-ignition, which can melt holes through pistons, etc. In engines equipped with knock sensors, ignition timing is retarded when knock is detected (which although it saves the engine before the trouble begins, it dampens performance a lot).

My advice? Put in the premium gas. Surely if you can afford a Crossfire, you can afford to spend another three dollars or less at every fill up.
Thanks for you Input... and yes I can afford the gas, just use to using reg. unleaded in my 300M. I didn't mean to sound like a pain in the @ss.

VJ

Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Ummm, in my area there is no 91 octane gas to be found. its either 87 89 or 93. Will 93 octane hurt it?

Old 07-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

93 is premium; that's the way to go --

Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 PM

I use 93 octane in mine.

So you give up a cup of coffee from the gas station when you fill up the tank. Big whoop!
The car's more fun, anyway!

Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Ummm, in my area there is no 91 octane gas to be found. its either 87 89 or 93. Will 93 octane hurt it?
Higher is always safe. It is lower that one should avoid.

...sT

Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 AM

around here 87, 89, 91 nothing higher, if i could find 93 or better. that's what i would use.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
I use 93 octane in mine.

So you give up a cup of coffee from the gas station when you fill up the tank. Big whoop!
The car's more fun, anyway!
There is no cupholder in my base coupe, anyhow. So, I guess I gave up the cup of coffee from the gas station regardless!

Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM

I believe both 91 and 93 Octane are considered "premium". I'd have to double check the owners manual but I'm 99% sure 91 Octane is the minimum level required by our car. Anything higher is fine, it just means that the fuel can withstand higher compression before it spontaneously combusts.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by juddz
There is no cupholder in my base coupe, anyhow. So, I guess I gave up the cup of coffee from the gas station regardless!
sorry to get off topic but the base coupes don't have a cupholder? that's good to know, is the console still painted silver like the limited?

Quick Reply: Premium Gasoline?