Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Odd wind noise in roadster

Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd wind noise in roadster

Are any of you experiencing a "booming" noise in your roadster when the top is up? I'm no stranger to wind noise from an unpadded top as I traded up from a Miata. The noise I'm referring to sounds a bit like the buffeting noise you might get with the sunroof open in an SUV. Its sort of a short boom repeated fairly frequently. Could this be due to a leaky door seal? Or maybe the roof flapping?

I don't seem to be hearing any "rushing" wind noise, just the buffeting. Any ideas out there?

Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Default Re: Odd wind noise in roadster

You can drive a Roadster with the top up? What a novel idea! I'll have to try it some time. (NOT)

Old 08-11-2005, 07:40 PM

Yes I get the same booming sensation with the roof up at speeds over 60 mph.

Its like a fluctuating pressure boom which some people are more sensitive to than others. I believe it is caused by the roof flapping - you can see the rear window moving/buffeting at the same time. Mentioned it to the dealer as my MR2 roadster did not suffer from this and had a soft top and was told its normal (as usual).

I am more sensitive to it than my partner and find it a little annoying when trying to cruise at 85mph.

Initially I thought it was being caused by a slight wheel imbalance but I am pretty sure its the roof buffeting. I did read a road test on the car and the reviewer also picked up on this.

The other strange thing mine does is make an intermittent rushing wind sound from the roof in synch with the windscreen wipers as they reach the top of their stroke - a bit poor really - no such design faults with the MR2 roadster.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 PM

I don't get a loud noise unless the wind outside is really strong. Driving on a normal day on the highway or not tends to actually be typical for a convertible, on the highway the top shakes a bit, but not too bad...Now driving with the windows down is a whole 'nother thing. Its either top down and windows down or top up and windows up. The noise is crazy when the top is up and the windows down...I get a huge buffeting and the rear window shakes like crazy.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:02 PM

ukroadster,

That's a perfect description. This makes me think there's a misalignment in the windshield or side window to top seal. As I mentioned, I get the same effect if I open the sunroof in our SUV with the windows closed. The trick is to figure out where the air is coming from. I guess I'll experiment a bit.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:26 PM

I have a wind noise problem when the top and windows are up in the car but it comes from the passenger side window. I thought that was normal but I have been debating on taking it in.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Odd wind noise in roadster

There are a few TSB's for this problem, take your Xfire to the dealer.

23-023-03 WIND-LIKE SOUND MIRROR FLAG AREA ABOVE 50 MPH 2003-10-17
23-014-04 WIND SOUND WHILE DRIVING 2004-05-04
23-047-04 WIND SOUND MIRROR FLAG AREA ABOVE 50 MPH REVISED 2004-11-11
23-023-03 WIND-LIKE SOUND MIRROR FLAG AREA ABOVE 50 MPH 2003-10-17
23-014-04 WIND SOUND WHILE DRIVING 2004-05-04
23-047-04 WIND SOUND MIRROR FLAG AREA ABOVE 50 MPH REVISED 2004-11-11

Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM

Thanks CrossfireLTD. I should have started with the TSBs.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by reallywantXfire
I have a wind noise problem when the top and windows are up in the car but it comes from the passenger side window. I thought that was normal but I have been debating on taking it in.
I have exactly the same problem, the driver's side is relatively quiet but the passenger side sounds like the window is down slightly. Just had a good look around the window edge and I can see no difference between the passenger and driver's windows, the door is also closed and aligned with the body.

Stealer says they will need the car for two days to investigate because it could be above the window in the roof rail area, got to say that this looks OK to me but then again I don't know what I am looking for.

I notice the post above highlights several possible causes for this, could anyone place the Chrysler official explanations on this post or give us a link to these documents.

Problem is the driver's side is OK at the moment, give a car to the stealers and that side will probably end up knackered as well.

Sorry but I am new to this forum, what are "TSB's"?

Alan.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB's are technical service bulletins. There is a whole section for them listed below on the main screen.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded up from a Miata as well (NB) and my Crossfire is definitely quieter with the top up than was the Miata. I don't notice anything unusual with mine.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thesebastiancat
Are any of you experiencing a "booming" noise in your roadster when the top is up? I'm no stranger to wind noise from an unpadded top as I traded up from a Miata. The noise I'm referring to sounds a bit like the buffeting noise you might get with the sunroof open in an SUV. Its sort of a short boom repeated fairly frequently. Could this be due to a leaky door seal? Or maybe the roof flapping?

I don't seem to be hearing any "rushing" wind noise, just the buffeting. Any ideas out there?
unless you have a replacement top something really needs adjustment. Mercedes invented the perfect fit in cabriolets - there should be no wind noise - you might research top adjustments on the slk forum but if you really want it done right take it to MB and just pay for the service to have it adjusted.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:41 PM

The only booming noise i get is at the lazer wash when the air dryer on 19,000 no problems here. The roadster is topless when not rain sleep'n now burrr to cold for the bugger.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Forum Regular

I've heard that booming noise in high wind at higher speeds.especially if your passing to a truck with a cross wind and go through its aero wake. It sounds like a sonic boom almost, but i'm pretty sure its an aero downdaft phenomenon. "if you're not boomin, you're not zoomin".

Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '06 does the same, wind buffeting noise, I guess that is why a windscreen is advisable when the top is down. Must be how it is built & it is just wind moving about the design of the rear of the car & the top. Did anyone notice if the spoiler up versus down makes any changes??