Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Joining the SRT ranks

Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Joining the SRT ranks

Hi everyone, my first post here. I have purchased, but not yet received, a new-to-me SRT. Thought I'd share my car buying experience with you all.

First of all, I hadn't even been considering a Crossfire, but my local Chrysler dealer had a new black SRT parked by the road. I stopped and looked at it: great looking car, but $46k? No way, Jose. For the fun of it, I looked it up on the Internet when I got home and found this forum and saw people picking these babies up for $30-$35k; that was more like it!

So, the next day I went on a whirlwind tour of car dealerships to drive automatic transmission cars. First I drove the SRT. Loved it. Loved it. Offered them $32k (they were asking $36k and the car had 600 miles on it, but still "new"). They countered with $35.5k. I upped to $33k and they wouldn't move any further so I walked, and they let me. Drove to the Nissan dealer and took an almost hour-long(!) test-drive in a 350Z. I really liked this car too, but the power of the SRT kind of ruined it for me. Looked like I could get the Z for $29-$30k but it didn't have leather seats. Next, went to a Mitsu dealer and drove a leftover 2006 Eclipse GT. By the time I left, they were ready to sell me this $26k MSRP car for $21k. It's a great deal at that price but the car is significantly slower than the Z and the SRT. I also didn't like the front window position; it seemed too far in front of me. Interestingly, the Mitsu salesman just gave me the keys to this car for the test-drive, didn't even look at my license, and didn't come with me on the test-drive.

I then drove home and used the Yahoo Autos link to search for other SRTs. Found a used one with 1,500 miles with GPS for $27,999. Called them and it had just been sold the day before. Then found a repo'd car with just 300 miles on it and got them down to $27k even. It was going to a dealer auction the next day so I got it in the nick of time. Bought it sight-unseen over the phone (they say the car is perfect; we'll see). Having the car shipped to me and should have it within a week. They've already fed-ex'd me the title. So, I saved myself about $8k by buying a "used" car that had half the miles of the "new" car! The warranty suffers a bit, of course, but there is still some left.

Can't wait to join you all as an SRT driver!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Default Re: Joining the SRT ranks

Good find...I hope it turns out nice for you!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the forum. I too fell in love with the power! You'll never get bored driving it!

Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

Before you get it shipped, get them to send you some pictures with lots of close ups... If any damage occurred, they will blame the shippers... Best to get the car examined by a 3rd party and pictures by them as well... 300 miles on a repo? That seems unfounded though... Did you get a picture of the odometer or did they put the actual miles on the sales paperwork? I would hope so... 300 miles is test drive mileage... Perhaps someone just bought it, got cold feet or stopped making payments, but one would think they would just sell at a slight loss rather than have it repo'd, unless they put down next to nothing and were willing to ding their credit history with a repo... Seems a bit too good to be true... Keep us posted on the vehicle...

Old 07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

It's an awesome car. The poor Z salesman never had a chance after you had felt the power of an SRT-6!

Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6vert
It's an awesome car. The poor Z salesman never had a chance after you had felt the power of an SRT-6!
Welcome bud...just out of interest, was this from a dealer in Conn? I chased down a "repo" SRT in conn with super low mileage. In any event, take the advice above if it's not too late and enjoy...send pics when you can.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Welcome bud...just out of interest, was this from a dealer in Conn? I chased down a "repo" SRT in conn with super low mileage. In any event, take the advice above if it's not too late and enjoy...send pics when you can.
Yep, it was in Connecticut, in Branford to be exact. Know anything about the car? It's a blue one.
The advice on the pics is a good one, but the car was already picked up by the shipper today. But I'm not going to freak out if there are minor (MINOR) problems with the car; I can fix a few things with the $8k I saved, I suppose.

Will post some pics when I get it. Oh, and the mileage is listed at 320 on the title transfer paperwork they sent me.

John