Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Mustang GT driver gets an SRT-6 lesson

Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang GT driver gets an SRT-6 lesson

WOW. Two races in the past couple of weeks. 350Z downed last week. This was a new Mustang GT. The guy had a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust, a little loud. At least 19 inch wheels. This was ugly! The race that is. The guy stomped it, you could surely hear it. I was beside him and saw what that he couldn't pull me, so I started bouncing the front end, pressing the gas down and letting off and still stayed right next to him!! I looked like a low rider hopping up and down! All the time he's in it the whole way, loud exhaust. I would not have known he was in it if I couldn't hear him, it was that slow!!

Last edited by ws6vert; 12-15-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Default Re: Mustang GT driver gets an SRT-6 lesson

The mustang is not a fast as the str-6 from the factory I know I've owned both cars the mustang is 3,900 lbs. but with a underdrive pulley and some other mods for very little money the mustang wind hands down in straight line 1/4 mile with its straight axle.
I love both cars but the srt-6 is not a drag car it more for as fun road course IF you want a fast 1/4 mile str-6 get ready to spent a lot of money!!
Drive what you have and be Happy from my model T to my 427 sc cobra.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra
The mustang is not a fast as the str-6 from the factory I know I've own both cars the mustang is 3,900 lbs. but with a underdrive pulley and some other mods for very little money the mustang wind hands down in straight line 1/4 mile with its straight axle.
I love both cars but the srt-6 is not a drag car it more for as fun road course IF you want a fast 1/4 mile str-6 get ready to spent a lot of money!!
I know they raise the bar practically every year, but let me get this straight. An "unmodified" car that can get with in a 1/10 or 2/10's of breaking into the 12's in the 1/4 mile, right off the show room floor, isn't considered a "drag car" anymore?
I'm sorry, but to me, that "still" means "DRAG CAR". I don't care if you can modify a Mustang for a buck $2.98 and it will "then" out perform the SRT. The key word here is "MODIFY". Once a car is modified, it's no longer stock, and it then becomes an unlevel playing field, and becomes an "apples to oranges" comparison.
I know alot of people are into modifying their cars now-a-days, and that's just fine, but once you deviate from stock, it's simply a matter of going as fast as you want to spend, and to me, that means nothing. OK, it means that you have deep pockets, but I don't feel that's any reflection on the car.
All things are relative. It used to be that a small block Chevy was the least expensive engine to build because any bolt on parts were cheap to buy. Now, I would say the new "Cheap to build" crown goes to the Ford V8. Which I would say is probably cheaper to build than say the new "Hemi" is. On the same venue, the Crossfire is probably alot cheaper to modify than Ferrari. So what does that prove?

Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Forum Regular

The Mustang GT is a sweet looking car but no match for the
SRT6. I did one that was intercooled and supercharged.
At 80 he was 4 car length behind me. Now that I feel more
comfortable, I need to play with them a bit like ws6vert did.
Sounds like fun to me... It really pisses them off.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 PM

Speed cost money your right. So what your saying is a k&n filter is modified car? Come on all of us do some mods on are cars, Its the hotrod in all of us. Vette owners are still comparing there new corvettes with 40 year old 427 sc cobras. I get it all the time when I drive my cobra and that apple to oranges.
What I'm trying to say, have fun with what your driving no matter what it is from VW to corvette don't get caught in the hype, of my dog badder than dog. It will bring nothing but hard feeling and speeding fines $$. Have fun at the track, drag strip or road course.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobra, I didn't mean to come off sounding like I was raggin on ya. I'm still stuck in the 60's, and I pretty much measure everything with the "muscle car" yard stick. That's why, a stock car that comes dangerously close to runnin 12's is still pretty fricken fast to me, that's all.
I thought it was funny how the guys over at the Z car web site kept telling "ws6vert" how they would clean his clock with their modded Z cars, and I had to laugh, because I just couldn't see how that proved anything.
As for everyone mods their car, well that's probably true about most car guys, but I've got to tell ya, I kept my AMX bone stock, just so I could get the extreme pleasure out of beating guys with headers, holleys, traction bars, etc. And when they asked me what I did to my car, I'd just smile and say, "Nothin, it's all stock." Gettin"whooped" on by a Rambler, and a "stock" one at that really embarrassed alot of guys. Especially when a couple of their friends were with them.
By the way, my Viper, Miata, and Crossfire are all stock too.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Forum Regular

Well I would say a very loud exhaust is a mod. If he spent the money on that mod I'm sure he has other bolt ons to go along with 19's or 20' he also had on the car. Those maybe slowing him down!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 PM

The mustang is not a fast as the str-6 from the factory I know I've own both cars the mustang is 3,900 lbs. but with a underdrive pulley and some other mods for very little money the mustang wind hands down in straight line 1/4 mile with its straight axle.
Drive what you have and be Happy from my model T to my 427 sc cobra.
I'm sorry, but a simple underdrive pulley and a few other low dollar mods are NOT going to make the non-supercharged Mustang faster then the SRT-6.

And who cares about a straight axle car when your talking about low dollar modded cars? I know I don't.
I'd rather have my independent at this level of performance, its better handling and it still pulled a 1.8 sec 60' on the STOCK tires...lets see the Mustang do that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, I've owned 3 in my time, one of which was a 93' Cobra...but the SRT-6 is by far the best and fastest car I've owned.
Here's my latest slip from the 1/4 mile track...but I guess 12.6 isn't good enough for drag car standards these days...
The funny part is...this run just so happened to be against a 99' or Mustang GT with loud exhaust... lol.

Last edited by Eracer76; 12-16-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The main thing that makes the Crossfire (Base, Limited or SRT6) a champ is the nearly flat torque curve. It is about 10 Foot Pounds in variation across the range. EXTREMELY flat torque curve for a production car.

THIS is the main thing that makes the HP numbers nearly irrelevant. The Crossfire just PULLS ... and PULLS... and ... you get the picture.

I've always liked the older Mustangs from the late 60's and I think they FINALLY got the shape right again. Now they just need to let Saleen folks loose (if they haven't already) and see what 'fun' they can get out of that car.

Cheers!

Old 12-17-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Eracer76
I'm sorry, but a simple underdrive pulley and a few other low dollar mods are NOT going to make the non-supercharged Mustang faster then the SRT-6.

And who cares about a straight axle car when your talking about low dollar modded cars? I know I don't.
I'd rather have my independent at this level of performance, its better handling and it still pulled a 1.8 sec 60' on the STOCK tires...lets see the Mustang do that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, I've owned 3 in my time, one of which was a 93' Cobra...but the SRT-6 is by far the best and fastest car I've owned.
Here's my latest slip from the 1/4 mile track...but I guess 12.6 isn't good enough for drag car standards these days...
The funny part is...this run just so happened to be against a 99' or Mustang GT with loud exhaust... lol.
You say that you have a Renntech Performance package on your car. That isn't stock.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Woodlands
You say that you have a Renntech Performance package on your car. That isn't stock.
I never said my car was stock.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 AM

I've owned both cars the mustang is 3,900 lbs.
The Shelby is 3,800 lbs. The GT is right around 3,500.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTopC6
The Shelby is 3,800 lbs. The GT is right around 3,500.
Not trying to start nothin', but seems to me that the 60' time reported
on Eracer's slip is quicker than your vette. What's up with that?

Coyote

Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
The main thing that makes the Crossfire (Base, Limited or SRT6) a champ is the nearly flat torque curve. It is about 10 Foot Pounds in variation across the range. EXTREMELY flat torque curve for a production car.

THIS is the main thing that makes the HP numbers nearly irrelevant. The Crossfire just PULLS ... and PULLS... and ... you get the picture.

I've always liked the older Mustangs from the late 60's and I think they FINALLY got the shape right again. Now they just need to let Saleen folks loose (if they haven't already) and see what 'fun' they can get out of that car.

Cheers!
You know I do believe that is what impresses me the most about my Crossfire, the fact that the torque is there anytime you ask for it. I know for me that is what makes it so fun to drive, just can't get enough of it. I had Chevy's growing up small blocks and big blocks. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, small blocks can be quick, but in my opinion you just couldn't beat the torque of a big block, the torque is what pushes you back in the seat and holds you there, which for me anyway, is a great feeling. And Saleen has gotten a hold of the new Mustang and they look fun, fun, fun.

Last edited by RickZ; 12-19-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:56 PM

When my wife and I were in Vegas a couple of months ago...we rented one of the Hertz Shelby's while we were there. As a former owner of three Cobras, I wanted to see what the Hertz Shelby was like. Unfortunately, the Hertz Shelby only comes in automatic transmission, but it does use some of the Ford Performance parts to increase HP to 320 (as opposed to the Mustang GT with 300), plus different gears for better acceleration. Now this isn't scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but both my wife and I agreed that the Hertz Shelby "felt" slower than our SRT-6 and I'm fairly certain that our SRT-6 would easily handle a Hertz Shelby in a quarter mile race. JMHO.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man
When my wife and I were in Vegas a couple of months ago...we rented one of the Hertz Shelby's while we were there. As a former owner of three Cobras, I wanted to see what the Hertz Shelby was like. Unfortunately, the Hertz Shelby only comes in automatic transmission, but it does use some of the Ford Performance parts to increase HP to 320 (as opposed to the Mustang GT with 300), plus different gears for better acceleration. Now this isn't scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but both my wife and I agreed that the Hertz Shelby "felt" slower than our SRT-6 and I'm fairly certain that our SRT-6 would easily handle a Hertz Shelby in a quarter mile race. JMHO.
I wouldn't doubt the SRT-6 is faster ...if it has more HP, its smaller and weighs less, not mention the flat torque curve.

Besides, the SRT-6 puts the power down like a Swiss watch compared to the cheaper Timex Mustang lol.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodlands
OK, here's a time slip with my stock SRT against a new Mustang GT.