Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Question...

Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question...

I just purchased an SRT6 Crossfire and I am loving the car so far! I got a decent deal on the car, paid a little over 24k for it. The reason I got this car was because it was a rare bird. There isn't many on the road and it truly is an awesome piece. I have seen the price of this car and it is all over the map. I have seen slightly used go for around 26k-29k and I have seen some new going for 38k-41k. My question is, how come the car depreciated so much from when they were selling them new in '05. They only made a little over 2,000 SRT6 coupes. My next question is, do you think this car will appreciate over time...
say 20 years or more. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Default Re: Question...

SSSHHH! Don't tell everyone about the greatness of an SRT6 or everyone will want one!! I don't think there is a single reason why they did not sell or hold their value - but here are a variety of possibles:

- initially overpriced for a car without computerized climate control, multi-cd radio, steering wheel audio controls etc that other 'luxury' cars have.

- poor marketing on Chrysler's part, then no effort to back up the cars heritage or 'Halo' image.

- the potential mystery of the Mercedes drivetrain among the Chrysler faithful, and the reluctance to purchase a 'Daimler-Chrysler' product by the Mercedes people or other luxury car buyers.

- potential service headaches (is it a Mopar or a Mercedes?).

- market flood of unsold units.

- current turmoil over the future of Chrysler.

and I'm sure there are plenty more that could be added...but it is funny, those are reasons that drew me to the car. I like simple controls for heat etc, the fact that it didn't sell well, and that I do NOT see any other SRT-6's (or Crossfires in general) very often. I almost feel offended when my car is referred to as a Mercedes - I feel that American ingenuity went through the German parts bin and put together a very capable concept with what was at hand-and without a doubt, I believe it will be collectible - the fact it was only built (mostly) for one year says volumes, and the production run of less than 3,000 units only means that as time goes on, they are going to become more desirable as they get used up. I would not buy one now based solely on investment, but I didn't buy my Demon 340 for an investment 23 years ago either...it just turns out that I don't get rid of cars, and now its valuable. I bought it because it was unique, I enjoyed Mopars, and I loved driving it...which happens to be the same reasons why I purchased my SRT-6!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the srt6, it was simply overpriced; based on old, recycled (MB) technology (it didn't matter if it's a proven technology), and who's ever heard of a $50K Chrysler???

You could have bought a brand new one for $10 - $12K less than MSRP back in October 2005.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 AM
RPM

Originally Posted by distantpulse
My next question is, do you think this car will appreciate over time...
say 20 years or more. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
I hope so, but who knows.
I bought mine because I really liked it, you can get them for screaming deals, but also because it is so much more rare than the other models I was considering (boxster, s2000, 350z, etc.).
The SRT6 certainly has some characteristics about it that make it have a good chance of bouncing back and becoming a valuable 'collector' car in the future: Low production numbers, Mercedes-Benz/Chrysler input, most expensive Chrysler to date, first Chrysler w/SRT badge (followed by 300 SRT8), etc.

Let's hope Csaba Csere w/Car and Driver is correct:
CSABA CSERE
Cult-car alert! Twenty years from now, the SRT-6 will be one of those scarce machines that will command a prominent location at concours across the country. Just consider its exotic concept-car-derived styling, its Mercedes-based mechanical bones, and its outstanding acceleration, handling, and braking. Unfortunately, although the SRT-6's performance neatly splits the difference between a 350Z and a Corvette C5, its sticker price is near the Vette's. Furthermore, this performance comes only with an automatic gearbox. Customers attracted to this feature will not likely appreciate the SRT's firm ride. In other words, the SRT-6 is destined to be a rare bird.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Forum Regular

I think Chrysler messed up here. I liked the looks of the car when it came out. I didn't know it was mostly a MB (this was one of the biggest reasons why i bought it). The model then (limited) was about 30k+. I could get a 350z (more power) instead. So, the price and performance initially did not impress me at all. A few years later I found a screaming deal and researched and found that it was MB technology and I bought a SRT6 coupe.

Anywayz, was your car new or used?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM

My car was used. I have all the common "SRT6" issues with it though. I told the dealer before I bought the car I wanted everything in writing that all of these issues would be fixed so...but I agree, the car was overpriced. This car should have started around 32k IMO. I'm glad it didn't though.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by RPM
Unfortunately, although the SRT-6's performance neatly splits the difference between a 350Z and a Corvette C5.
HUH?! What do stock C5 Vettes run?! I would say it would be a pretty even match with that car no?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM
RPM

HUH?! What do stock C5 Vettes run?! I would say it would be a pretty even match with that car no?
I think C5s are close, but C6s are not.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Doesn't the SRT6 run 13.1's in the 1/4 stock?? I thought for sure that stock C6's will do just about the same in the 1/4. I'm not talking top speed or anything, but am I wrong in saying? Hmmm...

Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Doesn't the SRT6 run 13.1's in the 1/4 stock?? I thought for sure that stock C6's will do just about the same in the 1/4. I'm not talking top speed or anything, but am I wrong in saying? Hmmm...
I just roasted an new '07 Vette last week. He raced me 3 lights in a row trying to beat me, but lost everytime. But mine is running 12.6's in the 1/4. See my time on Dragtimes.com for the mods and video...
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler-Cr...slip-9533.html

One of my runs I raced a new Viper and beat him to the end, even thought he ran a better ET than me (12.2). Still, it was a pretty good feeling to beat him to the end, for a fraction of the cost of his car...

Old 03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by screaminjoe
I just roasted an new '07 Vette last week. He raced me 3 lights in a row trying to beat me, but lost everytime. But mine is running 12.6's in the 1/4. See my time on Dragtimes.com for the mods and video...
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chrysler-Cr...slip-9533.html

One of my runs I raced a new Viper and beat him to the end, even thought he ran a better ET than me (12.2). Still, it was a pretty good feeling to beat him to the end, for a fraction of the cost of his car...
What mods do you have?