Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Please can someone try this

Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please can someone try this

I have noticed that at "idle" if you turn the fan and radio off (to make things a bit quieter) I can here a whine. It sounds a bit like and electric fuel pump running (but it isn't that). If you engage "drive" as the engine revs drop the pitch changes to a lower tone too. Does anyone have any idea if this is the same for all SRT-6's or if I have something going wrong with mine ?

Performance is still great and it uses no Oil at all.
Power steering fluid is at the correct level.
Nothing appears to be rubbing on the "drive belt".

I have only noticed this since I had my Steering box replaced...but for all I know it may have been there before, but just didn't notice it as I had a few issues after the steering box was replace with air in the system with resulted in low steering fluid levels for a couple of days. I took the car back and they topped it up again. All the air is out now and everything is just fine other than this noise.

I can hear the noise with the radio on low and the fan on "2", but I think it is due to me becoming "tuned" into it all the time now and it is driving me to distraction as to weather it is "normal" or not... !!!

It has been doing this for a few weeks now and doesn't seem to have got any worse, but I am still seeking re assurance...

Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Please can someone try this

superchargers are known to 'whine' - any possibility its the s/c?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
superchargers are known to 'whine' - any possibility its the s/c?
I don't know. I thought the supercharger clutch was not engaged till 2,900 rpm (or 50% throttle). The noise I have is at idle, so I'm guessing it can't be the supercharger, unless anyone can tell me otherwise ?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Forum Regular

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by simon-srt6
I have noticed that at "idle" if you turn the fan and radio off (to make things a bit quieter) I can here a whine. It sounds a bit like and electric fuel pump running (but it isn't that). If you engage "drive" as the engine revs drop the pitch changes to a lower tone too. Does anyone have any idea if this is the same for all SRT-6's or if I have something going wrong with mine ?

Performance is still great and it uses no Oil at all.
Power steering fluid is at the correct level.
Nothing appears to be rubbing on the "drive belt".

I have only noticed this since I had my Steering box replaced...but for all I know it may have been there before, but just didn't notice it as I had a few issues after the steering box was replace with air in the system with resulted in low steering fluid levels for a couple of days. I took the car back and they topped it up again. All the air is out now and everything is just fine other than this noise.

I can hear the noise with the radio on low and the fan on "2", but I think it is due to me becoming "tuned" into it all the time now and it is driving me to distraction as to weather it is "normal" or not... !!!

It has been doing this for a few weeks now and doesn't seem to have got any worse, but I am still seeking re assurance...
My SRT6 has always had that little whine thing you are talking about, it also had a bit of a shake at idle witch did concern me till another member said his had a little shake to it also. Funny thing though, after I installed the Renntech kit, (pulley's & ECU) the shake went away and the car ran smoother, but it still has that little whine. I don't remember for sure, but I think the '04 coupe I had did the same thing with the whining.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular

My SRT-6 makes a high-pitched noise, too, but it sounds like an electronic tone. I haven't figured out what it is yet. I get it at idle and at speed but it comes and goes.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 AM

The only whine mine makes at idle is when the supercharger clutch disengages. The whine only last for a second. At least that is how the whine was explained to me. Does everyone else get this whine or am I looking at another trip to the dealer?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by AMGLover
Not supercharger. Check serpentine belts.
Thanks for the advice. What am I checking ? It seems fairly tight and no obvious signs of wearing out. The engine has only done 5,500 miles.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by radmanly
My SRT-6 makes a high-pitched noise, too, but it sounds like an electronic tone. I haven't figured out what it is yet. I get it at idle and at speed but it comes and goes.
Mine is always there at idle and as the revs rise it fades away, so when driving I don't hear it at all. It does sound like, as you say (an "electronic tone") but if you engage "Drive" (with the brakes on) the pitch lowers with the revs and sounds more like a bearing howling quietly.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
My SRT6 has always had that little whine thing you are talking about, it also had a bit of a shake at idle which did concern me till another member said his had a little shake to it also. Funny thing though, after I installed the Renntech kit, (pulley's & ECU) the shake went away and the car ran smoother, but it still has that little whine. I don't remember for sure, but I think the '04 coupe I had did the same thing with the whining.
Yours sounds very much like mine. I get the odd "hick up" at idle when stationary in "neutral" but if I engage "drive" it seems to stabilize under load. I take it yours "always" whines at idle ?

It is starting to sound like a trip to the dealer will not be beneficial at this time as it could be a "normal" characteristic. A few more people with the same effect would be reassuring for me still though. Thanks for your feedback though, I feel a little better already.

Si

Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by simon-srt6
Yours sounds very much like mine. I get the odd "hick up" at idle when stationary in "neutral" but if I engage "drive" it seems to stabilize under load. I take it yours "always" whines at idle ?

It is starting to sound like a trip to the dealer will not be beneficial at this time as it could be a "normal" characteristic. A few more people with the same effect would be reassuring for me still though. Thanks for your feedback though, I feel a little better already.

Si
Yeah, it's always had that whining sound and I think the '04 regular coupe I had did too, but not as noticeable. I don't think it's anything to be to concerned about.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM

I never noticed it in my '04 cpe. but I paid attention last night to my srt and there was a slight whine? noise at idle. Mine has 400 miles on it so I doubt it is broken.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:08 AM

So, others have this noise too, that's re assuring. As long as we are all talking about the same noise, then I will "see how it goes" and if it gets worse by my next service (6,000 miles to go) I will get them to investigate then.

The first time I heard the "whining" noise I had to check to see if the wife had snuck in the car without me noticing !!!

Many thanks for all your replies. Happy Motoring to you all.

Si

Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 AM

2005 SRT6 that has now developed a "Whine" in idle and i think i hear it when i am driving but hard to tell. Most definetly when in idle. This is a new noise after 34,000KMS. I took it to the dealership for them to listen to and dont you know what the answer was??? That doesnt sound too bad so dont worry about it. They drive me crazy. I also am now experiencing a loss of power. Pedal to the floor and talk about sluggish response. Or it responded but almost with a delay........... I hate being a girl with a fast car that has to deal with dealerships. They think we are idiots. OK so i dont know how to fix it but i do know that something is wrong. GGRRHH>.........

Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM

2005 SRT6 that has now developed a "Whine" in idle and i think i hear it when i am driving but hard to tell. Most definetly when in idle. This is a new noise after 34,000KMS. I took it to the dealership for them to listen to and dont you know what the answer was??? That doesnt sound too bad so dont worry about it. They drive me crazy. I also am now experiencing a loss of power. Pedal to the floor and talk about sluggish response. Or it responded but almost with a delay........... I hate being a girl with a fast car that has to deal with dealerships. They think we are idiots. OK so i dont know how to fix it but i do know that something is wrong. GGRRHH>.........

Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 AM

Maybe its the s/c coolant pump or the air pump for the egr(cant confirm that actually makes noise). Ive never popped the hood to see which one it is but i hear the whine too.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xfirechick
your situation sounds like you just need the sprintbooster to get rid of the throttle-lag.
EVERYONE should have this mod anyways! http://www.tvtdesign.com/srt6?b=1

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Most every car I've owned has had a similar noise. Usually one of the accessories that are belt driven. I would guess its the alternator. Open the hood and have a listen. Get a friend to rev it a little while listening. You could always do the old long screwdriver trick, you know the one, I know it makes you look like a unicorn but you will be able to eliminate lots of possible sources doing it.

Les

Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Hi velociabstract -well now that's a thought.....i guess i have to figure out now where exactly the alternator is......haha! and when you say the screw driver trick can you be a little more specific for me? Tap it......touch it .... take it apart..god i hope not!!! Oh and i actually just ran it up to a dealership close to where i work and they had a tech come out with the stethescope to have a listen. He agreed that he heard the whining noise but couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from so not really much help. He sprayed brake cleaner on the fan belt. it didnt work.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

A home made listening device. You remember in elementary school when they gave you a hearing test and put the tuning fork on your skull. Well its the same idea only more dangerous. Take a long screwdriver, with the motor running, and place the tip where you suspect the noise is coming from and place the handle on your forehead. Be careful, things are turning and alive. If your familiar with the sounds a motor makes you can find where the noise is coming from, if you can stay away from the moving parts, of course. Good luck, live long and prosper.

Les