Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

AIR to liquid intercooler

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIR to liquid intercooler

Looking to upgrade the cooling system anyone have any ideas besides the Johnson pumps. Here is something I found it looks like SLR technology but who wants to spend $16,000 http://www.renntechmercedes.com/engi...tercooler.html I realize that isn't our engine just looking for ideas. I want to upgrade to the RENNTECH kit but before I do I want to make sure the cooling system is good to go so the supercharger doesn't cut out do to temp.

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 09-27-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: AIR to liquid intercooler

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Looking to upgrade the cooling system anyone have any ideas besides the Johnson pumps. Here is something I found it looks like SLR technology but who wants to spend $16,000 http://www.renntechmercedes.com/engi...tercooler.html I realize that isn't our engine just looking for ideas. I want to upgrade to the RENNTECH kit but before I do I want to make sure the cooling system is good to go so the supercharger doesn't cut out do to temp.
I've actually been studying this issue since I'm installing the SRT engine in my race car and am putting a cooling system together... The intercooler system is anemic at best ! (1) The cooling liquid is shared with the engine coolant system, plain stupid since the liquid going through the intercooler heat exchanger is already heated from the engine. (2) The heat exchanger is way too small. (3) The charge air cooler is wrapped inside the upper part of the engine and as we all know, heat rises...

That being said, since my engine bay is being gutted and all unnecessary components being removed and others being relocated, I'm installing a Bell liquid to air intercooler system that includes a high pressure 3" x 8" x 18" heat exchanger and high flow pump. I'm also running custom plumbing so the intercooler will have it's own isolated liquid coolant system that has a dry ice cooled tank. All of the inbound coolant pipes will be wrapped in permafrost insulation and the outbound pipes will be made out of heat sync pipe... I'm also installing the phenolic spacers at the head / charge air intake manifold.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
I've actually been studying this issue since I'm installing the SRT engine in my race car and am putting a cooling system together...
Where did you get your SRT-6 engine if I may ask?

Do you have plans for an ODPS? I am looking at purchasing the 7" ASP crank pulley next week and I am still looking for a ECU tune to go along with it with but not sure of a "box" solution.

I am considering isolating the current/stock overflow tank for just the intercooler by mounting a new radiator overflow tank next to the radiator shroud and some simple re-plumbing. Not sure of the temp reduction gains but it would not be a costly or difficult mod.

Perhaps run some refrigeration coils in (or around) the intercooler tank and plumb into the A/C system? - Just an idea for a street machine - don't think you use the A/C compressor on a race car.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Renntech kit and it did not make any difference in the engine operating temp. But I too would like to find something that would get the supercharger temp. down, because I can tell a huge difference in power when the car is not up to normal operating temp.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an idea to maybe solve the intercooler problem while reading another thread. It's pretty much the same thing as HDDP has said.
Basic Parts list:
Summit racing sealed battery box
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=SUM%2DG1231&N=700+115 &autoview=sku
RCI 1 gallon fuel cell
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=RCI%2D2010A&N=700+115 &autoview=sku
Johnson CM30 pump
http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/jabsco.html

Various adapters/fittings/Lines

To address the first issue of isolating the coolant for the intercooler:

Mount battery box in trunk with hole drilled for ice vent/drain
Mount RCI fuel cell inside box attach lines and fittings run to engine bay and seal all holes in box
Replace crap stock pump with Johnson and route new lines accordingly
Est. about $400
On track days or whenever you could pack the box with some regular ice or perhaps a little dry ice. Even without the ice I'm sure the temps will be lower and the system will be more efficient having the coolant in the car, separate from engine coolant and with more capacity.
Could go one step further and replace the exchanger but it will be more costly and fitment could be a bit*h?
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=11828

Along the same lines you could mount another RCI cell in the box(looking at the dimensions should fit) for a water/alcohol injection system and super cool that with either form of ice.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. All in theory at this point.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Forum Regular

I recently had my car fitted for a bar and plate intercooler heat exchanger (HE) (radiator) a few weeks ago. Brandon form Code3Performance came down and we took apart the front end of the car to see what we could fit in there.

We were both shocked to find that the SLK/SRT HE is 4" shorter than the C32 unit! Same engine, same heat soak issue and a smaller HE!!! We were able to squeeze a little more surface area though, if I remember correctly the HE grew 1-2 inches wider, 1-2 inches taller & 1" deeper, this is as much as we could go due to the pump placement on our cars. It wasn't as much as we had both hoped but the biggest benefit is the bar and plate design. The unit he is designing for our cars will align with the OEM pump placement and will required removal of the factory brackets that hold the factory HE. So essentially this will be a bolt in upgrade.

He brought over the OEM unit for me to see and compare it to the bar & plate version. Let me tell you the OEM HE was light as a feather (tube and fin w/plastic end tanks) whereas the bar & plate unit had some good mass to it (all aluminum w/aluminum end tanks). There should also be a slight increase in coolant capacity as well. Here are a couple pics 1, 2 of his prototype.

I'm looking to get this installed coming up here in October.

Last edited by msheredy; 09-28-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how much performance would be gained by simply isolating the Intercooler system from the engine coolant system...???

That would probably be an easy upgrade to separate the systems... (Hoses and fittings?)

Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 AM

What about Air to Air intercoolers: http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/AAMain.html

Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM

What about Air to Air intercoolers: http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/AAMain.html
Probably not possible do to the configuration and location of the supercharger.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

What about Air to Air intercoolers http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/AAMain.html
Put it this way, it would be a plumbing nightmare and you run into the possibility of losing a considerable amount of boost simply due to the fact that there would be so much piping for the air to run through.

Those top mounted Renntech units are really trick! Except for the price. I wonder how much Wilson Manifolds would charge to fab up something like that for us?

Last edited by msheredy; 09-28-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
Put it this way, it would be a plumbing nightmare and you run into the possibility of losing a considerable amount of boost simply due to the fact that there would be so much piping for the air to run through.

Those top mounted Renntech units are really trick! Except for the price. I wonder how much Wilson Manifolds would charge to fab up something like that for us?
There are guys on MB world that were trying to figure it out it was awhile back. Evo had there hand in the project but i stopped reading after they called SRT6 owners posers and that we dont care about performance only about how clean our rims are. Either way the kit was like six grand for 20 hp still not worth it.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...ossfire+posers

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 09-29-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM

THERE is a C32 heat exchanger for sale on MBWORLD it is 4 inches longer then ours for $350 shipped HDDP if your not going custom you should pick it up...
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212639

Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Forum Regular

THERE is a C32 heat exchanger for sale on MBWORLD it is 4 inches longer then ours for $350 shipped HDDP if your not going custom you should pick it up... http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212639
For a custom setup such as Derek's this would work with some degree of fabrication/modification. Our (SRT-6's) stock heat exchanges are 4" shorter than the stock C32's. With this one being even longer it would not work for a bolt in upgrade. The water pump and lines would need to be remounted/rerouted. The bumper would also require some trimming to get everything to fit. Not an easy task but obtainable with some patience... yes.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Forum Regular

...i stopped reading after they called SRT6 owners posers and that we dont care about performance only about how clean our rims are...
It's a sad fact. Honestly I would have thought Chrysler owners would dig into their cars before MB owners would. I'm just happy to see folks like Rob at Needswings and Chris at Floored Fabrication developing speed parts for these cars.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
It's a sad fact. Honestly I would have thought Chrysler owners would dig into their cars before MB owners would. I'm just happy to see folks like Rob at Needswings and Chris at Floored Fabrication developing speed parts for these cars.
I had an intake set up months ago with bent tubing sensor placement the whole works no one was interested I sent two to Europe but that was about it. I had it to where there could have been dual intakes if you wanted them. I cut out the restriction behind the grille, its essentially the same idea just not poked through the radiator core. It needed some tweaking and I never got pictures of the finished product but here is what it looked like before it was heat coated. On the right side and then on the left side with a quick photoshoped in on the right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
intake1.JPG (49.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
photo shop intake.JPG (134.0 KB, 13 views)