Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

My own cold air system

Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My own cold air system

I fabed up my own cold air kit the other night. I spent under $100.00 and it works great. It does not look as good as the Needswings kit, but it did not turn out to bad. The black rubber inlet hose is smooth on the inside and flows air very well. Everything is 3 inch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.JPG (802.4 KB, 164 views)
002.JPG (720.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My own cold air system

Please post a parts/price list and where you got them. I'd also love to see install pictures if you're game for making a "how to" guide.

Are you planning to dyno it to see what you got for your $100?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that's a pretty worthy effort. Looks pretty good. Where did you come up with those chrome pieces?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 AM

The chrome parts are from AutoZone and the black rubber hose is from a fountain supply warehouse. AutoZone has kits with different bends, that part was easy. The blk rubber hose had to be heated a bit to snake it through the rad. support. Once it was through I put another elbow on it and installed the air filter inside the grill.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular

What would a fountain supply warehouse be? Where would I find a supplier like that in the yellow pages?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 AM

Looks good Bikecop.

Did the Autozone chrome pieces have a fitting for the hose that connects on the driver's side of the stock pieces?

SQ

Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Come on guys I can hook you up for $200-300 give me two weeks. I like the effort and all but seriously don't we all want the engine to stay at least nice looking. You don't want to pop the hood and see flex tube hanging there. I'm telling you, you will not be disappointed here is the pic all i need to add is the extender to put the filter right up behind the grille and a 45 degree tube. Everything will be metal and either polished like chrome or heat treated or I can have them powder coated any color you want for bit extra.

HERE IS A PIC OF THE N/A crossfire The SRT6 will look just like this one only different sensor arrangement sense we don't have a sensor there AND THEY ALL WILL BE PLACED BEHIND THE GRILLE LIKE THE NEEDSWINGS.....

Let me know who is interested the only thing that is going to keep me motivated to make these is if people want them. There wasn't a lot of uproar for these things on the forum for the N/A I sent 3 over seas and am yet to see them on this website. But if people want them for the SRT6 i will get right on it.

Attached Images
cai1234.jpg (47.8 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 11-13-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM

I must confess, I too plan on making my own intake for under $200. BikeCop, it looks decent and I'm sure it well help the car breathe a lot better. Nice work.

Last edited by SRTpowa; 11-13-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM

If you can come up with one that we can still keep the engine cover/air box, i would be interested.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by acrispy1
If you can come up with one that we can still keep the engine cover/air box, i would be interested.
Ditto

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM

But what does it do to the air once inside? I mean, it looks like all the air would be fairly turbulant by the time it got to the TB, or SC..
I would say if you're going to fab up your own cheapo style CAI your best bet is to use regular old plumbing PVC.. it's cheap, comes in 3", is smooth and doesn't transfer heat.. you attach your parts using 3" diameter Silicone bends, and straights and you've got a pretty decent intake system that will reduce the ambient temps of the air coming in as well as providing a smoother, larger flow for the air, allowing more air to be passed..
Just my 2 cents..
Oh, and you can paint the PVC any color you'd like, or use dyes on it to make a finish that doesn't get beat up to badly by scratches...

Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Come on guys I can hook you up for $200-300 give me two weeks. I like the effort and all but seriously don't we all want the engine to stay at least nice looking. You don't want to pop the hood and see flex tube hanging there. I'm telling you, you will not be disappointed here is the pic all i need to add is the extender to put the filter right up behind the grille and a 45 degree tube. Everything will be metal and either polished like chrome or heat treated or I can have them powder coated any color you want for bit extra.

HERE IS A PIC OF THE N/A crossfire The SRT6 will look just like this one only different sensor arrangement sense we don't have a sensor there AND THEY ALL WILL BE PLACED BEHIND THE GRILLE LIKE THE NEEDSWINGS.....

Let me know who is interested the only thing that is going to keep me motivated to make these is if people want them. There wasn't a lot of uproar for these things on the forum for the N/A I sent 3 over seas and am yet to see them on this website. But if people want them for the SRT6 i will get right on it.
I'm interested... if you prove gains on a dyno

Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MightyMouse
But what does it do to the air once inside? I mean, it looks like all the air would be fairly turbulant by the time it got to the TB, or SC..
I would say if you're going to fab up your own cheapo style CAI your best bet is to use regular old plumbing PVC.. it's cheap, comes in 3", is smooth and doesn't transfer heat.. you attach your parts using 3" diameter Silicone bends, and straights and you've got a pretty decent intake system that will reduce the ambient temps of the air coming in as well as providing a smoother, larger flow for the air, allowing more air to be passed..
Just my 2 cents..
Oh, and you can paint the PVC any color you'd like, or use dyes on it to make a finish that doesn't get beat up to badly by scratches...

First off Mightymouse the air will not be turbulant. Like I stated in my post the inside of the blk rubber hose is Smooth, NOT ribbed like the outside. And I also tried the PVC route, Talk about cheapo looking. The PVC 3 inch stuff is to big to attach nicely to the throttle body, trust me it looked bad.

I just did this for myself and thought I would share. I am going to US 41 again this Sat. with a hotter custom tune from InMotion to be used with my water/meth. I am hoping for a 12.3 or 4 with the new tune, cold air kit and water/meth.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikecop
I fabed up my own cold air kit the other night. I spent under $100.00 and it works great. It does not look as good as the Needswings kit, but it did not turn out to bad. The black rubber inlet hose is smooth on the inside and flows air very well. Everything is 3 inch.
My own cold air system-001.jpg

Very nice indeed....Of course that extremely cool SRT6 engine plate really sets the engine off.

Thanks for the visual plug!

Karl

Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04

What size pipe? Doesn't look like 3" in that pic.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Bikecop,
Is that second bend after the 90 a 45? If so you could just get a silicon 90 and aluminum 45 like this,then paint it black to match? I personally don't see anything wrong with using the flex hose if it works. Besides most factory intakes have similiar looking hose. All go, screw show LOL! Look forward to the track results.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Dude, that looks as if it will work nicely! Good job! It's nice to see the hot rod spirit alive and well.
Johnnyangel, your set up looks very nice. One word of advice, don't belittle someone elses work because it is not helping sell your product.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 PM

If I wanted to spend more money, I could use more of the chrome sectional pieces. Stopping 10 inches before the rad. support. This would look nicer and I still might do this, but not before testing. Thanks for all the advise and comments( good and bad).

Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Bikecop,

That looks really nice for a garage job! That hose actually looks nicer than some stock hoses used in factory aplications. I'd consider doing that too if I could figure out a way to keep the engine cover. You can't beat the price either! More pics of the business end would be great!

Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM

I am going to take measurements again on my srt6 but the kit was originally designed for the ltd and all the pipe and couplers were 2.5 it fit better and didn't make much sense to go from three down to 2.5 at the very end for the throttle body. Dyno gains have been proven on the needs wings it will essentially be my set up with a different piece going into the grille and a filter hopefully K&n but if your looking to keep the price down just a cotton cone filter. The dyno on the srt6 was a rough gain of 15-20 hp but on the ltd I don't think it will be that much. Assuming I can get better fit of the MAF sensor and it routed to the grille you might see a seat of the pants gain. The kit will be able to run on either side I mocked up one with either side or able to run twin If you like. Lastly keeping the stock air box will be possible but with modifications. ie. Removing the bottom boxes and or rivets and some trimming.. here was the quick photoshop of the twin

Attached Images
cold air.jpg (86.8 KB, 48 views)

Quick Reply: My own cold air system