Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Bypass Valve / Blow Off Valve

Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass Valve / Blow Off Valve

Now let me start of by saying I'm not trying to put some huge ridiculously loud BOV on my car. This may be a dumb question, as I do not know if the SRT-6 has a bypass valve already or not. Anyways I was sitting at a drive through the other day with my window open and revved the engine up to 1000 rpm real quick because I was bored and as the rpms fell it sounded like the car wanted to pop (almost like the burnoff flames you see out of cars with huge turbos thrown on them). I did this a few more times after noticing it and it did it every single time. That being said to me it feels/sounds like the pressure from the supercharger has no where to go when the rpms start dropping and I was curious if this was the case and if a bypass valve or blow off valve might be a little healthier for the car. I know the engineers probably did or would have thrown one or the other option if they thought it was needed, but I was just curious. Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Bypass Valve / Blow Off Valve

There isn't a "blow-off" valve per se'... because there really isn't a need for one since the the SC will not build any notable back pressure with a PCM moderated electrical clutch that disengages when not under throttle conditions... Also, there are 4 vacuum lines attached that will vent any pressure...

Not sure why you would be hearing a "pop" though...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobo54545
Now let me start of by saying I'm not trying to put some huge ridiculously loud BOV on my car. This may be a dumb question, as I do not know if the SRT-6 has a bypass valve already or not. Anyways I was sitting at a drive through the other day with my window open and revved the engine up to 1000 rpm real quick because I was bored and as the rpms fell it sounded like the car wanted to pop (almost like the burnoff flames you see out of cars with huge turbos thrown on them). I did this a few more times after noticing it and it did it every single time. That being said to me it feels/sounds like the pressure from the supercharger has no where to go when the rpms start dropping and I was curious if this was the case and if a bypass valve or blow off valve might be a little healthier for the car. I know the engineers probably did or would have thrown one or the other option if they thought it was needed, but I was just curious. Thanks for any replies.
Now I'm confused. I thought the SC didn't even engage until higher rpm's -- about 2,900?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxm
Now I'm confused. I thought the SC didn't even engage until higher rpm's -- about 2,900?
Actually the PCM is progammed to engage it at RPM's below 3,000 and is dependent on all the funny little sensors. TPS and MAF / MAP are the principals... But you are partially correct... Averaging would be about 2,500 rpm...

And I think that's what my original answer to the question was... It will disengage prior to building-up back pressure... Thus, no need for a blow-off valve... Get it ? Back pressure from the SC spinning and the cylinders not...

Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Thank you guys for the replies, clearly I am over listening to the car, although the kid inside of me kind of wanted a reason to put a BOV on the car.