Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LET Heat Exchanger Weight?

Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LET Heat Exchanger Weight?

Does anyone who's bought one know how much heavier the LET heat exchanger is than the stock heat exchanger? Thanks.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: LET Heat Exchanger Weight?

I have one on my car and the fact that my SC runs almost all the time, the weight is a non issue for me but I would guess 8 - 10 pounds.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Discounting its substantial increase in fluid capacity, their tare weight is within a pound or two of each other.

The tangible reduction in IATs and the attendant mitigation of ECU performance-degrading spark timing and fuel mixture adjustments that the upgrade facilitates will far outweigh any miniscule increase to your polar moment of inertia.

MBHeatTransferFloorJackJackStands.jpg

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Default Re: LET Heat Exchanger Weight?

They weigh nearly the same, but its twice as thick? Hmmm, that wasn't what I expected. A pound or two isn't bad at all. How much more fluid does this add to the system, and does anyone know what the weight of mercedes coolant is per liter?

I am not suggesting the added weight of the part and the coolant is degrading performance by asking these questions, so please dont anyone feel threatened and go on the defensive.

I dont care if your latest mod is to weld an F-16 fighter jet to your back bumper to go faster...weight is ALWAYS an issue for everyone whether they believe it or not. I, personally, diet and exercise constantly, not for my health or quality of life, but to keep the driver weight down when in my car. I am just trying to decide what things need to come off my car, and what wheels and tires I need to buy based on weights of various mods and this is the one mod I am looking at doing soonest in the forseeable future, so I'm eyeing my car, wondering where the pound of flesh is going to be removed, that's all. Not interested in removing the air conditioner or stereo because I want the car to be pleasant to drive and ride in, but I did choose my stereo head unit based on weight. LOL

Please dont everyone misinterpret this as me asking for opinions from everyone as to whether this much weight or that much weight is enough to worry about. Everyone has to decide what things to focus on, and weight is one important issue for me, as well as intake air temperature...haha. Coming from a fat pig of a 2004 Mustang Cobra, I have truly seen how much more enjoyable a light car can be both in power to weight ratio, and in handling.

EDIT: I wonder if after I got both seats where I wanted them, I could remove the power motors, etc. from them and have stationary, non-adjustable seats.

Last edited by AtomHeart; 05-18-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by AtomHeart
...please don't anyone feel threatened and go on the defensive...
Not at all…no worries.

At 6’4”/220, I’m obviously not overly concerned with a pound either way. I welcome the opportunity to contribute, however minimally, to your thread and this forum.

One can figure the fluid capacity is about tripled from the OE ~23 ounce specification, whether it be from a LET or Code3 heat exchanger. Nonetheless, the total increase in sprung mass is less than ten pounds.

The instigating data prompting an increase in charge air circuit heat dissipation capacity in my C32 was the ‘artificial’ performance degradation experienced during spirited (off highway) operation. When our Bosch DME 2.8.1 senses IATs rising above its specific programmed thresholds, it conservatively reduces spark advance and increases mixture strength to preserve the engine’s longevity. Rightly so, I must disclose. AMG had to allow for the misguided pilot choosing to refill his ride from the 87 octane pump. These output-reducing adjustments invariably occur regardless of its fuel’s anti-knock index. Properly controlling intake air temperatures are all the more important when utilizing increased supercharger boost pressure, as so many of us have opted to exploit.

As with any modification, it is a compromise. Only you can best determine if it’s right for you.