Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Do You Know That Your I/c Pump Runs All The Time?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Do You Know That Your I/c Pump Runs All The Time?

I had previously tried a group of four fans on the LET H/E to see if that would be of benefit, no it was not enough, but it did indicate that the fans were running a lot as the pump did also.

I have since added a full up 2 square foot surfaced H/E that has shown much greater cooling performance. This is due its placement directly in front of the radiator so that all the air for the motor goes thru it. Additionally I also opened up the grill area by cutting the ski-slope portions of the front grill, written up by so many.

Well I also added a light to the pump motor to see how often Mother benz wanted the pump, and it is pretty much ALL THE TIME.

Upon starting up the engine, the pump will come on when the throttle is raised above a very low speed, <1500 rpm. This is consistant, with the outdoor temps around 88 and also from cold starts with the ambient of only 63 degrees.

So the intercooler pump operation is not tied to the engines use of the supercharger, nore to the motors temp as I run a 172 degree stat in the summer, only two clicks up the temp dial. The pump just is operated to cool the air charge in the motor all the time.

This constant operation is why the pump is getting worn out. If the inlet air sensor sees too much heat, it cause the computer to pull back the timing and or turn off the supercharger for protection.

FYI, Enjoy Woody

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cooling study_037.JPG (685.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do You Know That Your I/c Pump Runs All The Time?

hey Woody;

Thanks for the info. Although I have not tested mine yet I also believe the pump should always be running. Its the only way the coolant runs from point A - B. I don't see them letting the coolant sit there soaking up all that heat.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It still amazes me the pump fails so frequently, I had wired up the intercooling system on my old car to run any time the switch was on and the pump is now 4 years old and still going strong.

Is there a constant voltage to the pump or does it increase/decrease to speed up/slow down the pump, maybe that could be the issue causing it to fail?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Woody, check your tire pressure.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: Do You Know That Your I/c Pump Runs All The Time?

Swapped by slicks for other wheels and the light has never gone off, not pressure and home remedies can not fix it. Must go to the service center to get an improvement when I do tires. At least I have verified that the light does nothing bad, so screw it.

The pump is constant speed and the only motor that gets modulated voltage is the main cooling fan. It is controlled to regulate the temp of the engine, in addition to the thermostat setting.

Enjoy, Woody