Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.
View Poll Results: Would you throw in for R&D?
Would you invest?
21.74%
Carbon Fiber Body Parts (painted and non)
21.74%
Cooling System Seperation Kit
56.52%
Racing gears (transmission stuff)
21.74%
Other
43.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Would you throw in for R&D?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you throw in for R&D?

Ok, I'm starting this thread to gage interest from members willing to throw in to make our aftermarket even better. What I was thinking of was coming up with parts whether it be performance or bling that people would be interested in buying. Also I was looking to see if some of our aftermarket supporting companys would be interested in building these parts if we can cover the R&D. I was thinking of weight reduction items such as carbon fiber hoods, trunks, panels (painted and non), racing gears, cooling system seperation kits, or whatever people are interested in buying. We did this with JR industries pillar pods and that came out great. As a benefit for those throwing in for R&D, they got the parts at an "at cost " price. Although "at cost " is generous, a one time discounted price only available to investors would work also. Any ideas would be great from either members or vendors.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would you throw in for R&D?

I voted separation kit, its at the top of my to-do list. Also cams, upgraded throttle body, true limited slip differential,Upgraded intercooler for the big pullies(not the heat exchanger) everyone seems to be ignoring the intercooler. Since its a V6 i say get a twin turbo setup in the works for people wanting to push 500+ hp. and if you want work done on your transmission I think Level10 does MB transmissions.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Here's a low cost, very efficient and effective way to separate your IC and engine cooling http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1 (about $100 - availible in black or blue - and fits perfectly)

Mount that puppy (or a similar one) along with a 16lb radiator cap on your radiator shroud. Re-route the the hose that connects your radiator to the stock surge tank to the bottom of this tank. Cap off the surge tank (like the N/A tank) and yer done.

Then just use the stock surge tank to hold your IC coolant. No more engine coolant heat soaking to your IC coolant. Uses stock hoses, only TWO hoses are re-routed. No lost trunk space, no battery relocation etc...

** EDIT ** Sorry - two hoses are re-routed - forgot about the top overflow hose above the radiator.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 08-13-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Would you throw in for R&D?

I have been very involved with cooling changes and have to ask, does your change allow for the two lines to flow into and out of the tank to promote the expulsion of air?

The stock tank has two lines out and the one inlet to purge the twin circuits and I find that watching the fluid, there is a lot of bubbles that have to get out of the system after it is opened for any changes or service.

I also want to ask if the larger tank should not be for the engine fluid instead and the smaller one for the smaller circuit of intercooler fluid, especially in light of the much lower operating temperatures (120 versis 190 for the motor) thats it operates at?

The air temperature next to the "surge tank" is above 140 and that heat gain due to the size of the tank would be therefore greater than the smaller tank.

Personally I have instrumented the tank and found that the H/E circuit does not flow into or out of the tank, the pump does not cause much flow and the vent is for the passage of the air.

PLEASE NOTE:
THe hose across the top of the radiator starting on the driver side and going into the wye pipe on the passenger side DOES flow significant amounts of HOT water and is for venting the radiator.

For my purposes, I have restricted this rate of flow AND ADDED FILTRATION TO THIS PATH of the water system. In my experience there is a lot of crud and or crap in the water system, I seek conformation on this point from others that have checked the water as IT COMES OUT OF THE RADIATOR DRAIN.

Woody Party on

Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Here's a low cost, very efficient and effective way to separate your IC and engine cooling http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1 (about $100 - availible in black or blue - and fits perfectly)

Mount that puppy (or a similar one) along with a 16lb radiator cap on your radiator shroud. Re-route the the hose that connects your radiator to the stock surge tank to the bottom of this tank. Cap off the surge tank (like the N/A tank) and yer done.

Then just use the stock surge tank to hold your IC coolant. No more engine coolant heat soaking to your IC coolant. Uses stock hoses, only TWO hoses are re-routed. No lost trunk space, no battery relocation etc...

** EDIT ** Sorry - two hoses are re-routed - forgot about the top overflow hose above the radiator.
If your willing to get all needed parts together, precut hoses and fab up the system, test to make sure it works correctly, and draw up some install instructions we might have our first product. While I appreciate your info, I and probably most people are not DIY type people and just want to buy it and hand it over to the mechanic without any questions on how its suppose to be installed. I got $50 on the R&D!

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 08-13-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
TVT_DESIGN

We'll develop anything you want if you provide for the R&D costs. That's the only thing stopping us from developing more products sooner, its expensive.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 PM

Since TVT stepped up to take on the challenge of R&D work, I'll start a Cooling system seperation kit sign up list. See how many will be interested. PM me if your interested and I'll add your name. How much to put down will be determined later once we gage interest.

1. bluemdsrt6
2. jsiegel

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 08-13-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Smile Re: Would you throw in for R&D?

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
Since TVT stepped up to take on the challenge of R&D work, I'll start a Cooling system seperation kit sign up list. See how many will be interested. PM me if your interested and I'll add your name. How much to put down will be determined later once we gage interest.

1. bluemdsrt6
2. jsiegel
I added my name

Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Woody - so not to hijack this thread - I answered your questions here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=25155

If anyone would like a complete system like mine - just let me know - I already have done all the R&D and won't charge you a thing (I have never charged a forum member a dime) just PM me - I would only need five or more members to poney up for the "bigger tank" and would only charge the cost the material and labor to fab them up.

But in my experience - you don't need the bigger tank - the stock plastic tank will provide the same results.

Just let me know.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 08-13-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

I might throw in on the coolant separator kit, but id need to know more about how it will be designed and if its more beneficial than BrianBraves method. Ive yet to do this mod and its about time.

BlueMDsrt6, i wouldnt get too carried away with carbon fiber this and that. Im not sure this crowd would be into c/f hoods and deck lids and what not.

If i didnt already buy all the current power adders i have id build a turbo kit for this car. Building that kind of stuff is not too hard for me. But i still think theres a lot more potential in our s/c setup.

I will say that after my exhaust and headers i will probably be interested in cams, and im less than convinced about the shricks. I have a possible source for this but lets see what happens with my headers first.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I might throw in on the coolant separator kit, but id need to know more about how it will be designed and if its more beneficial than BrianBraves method. Ive yet to do this mod and its about time.

BlueMDsrt6, i wouldnt get too carried away with carbon fiber this and that. Im not sure this crowd would be into c/f hoods and deck lids and what not.

If i didnt already buy all the current power adders i have id build a turbo kit for this car. Building that kind of stuff is not too hard for me. But i still think theres a lot more potential in our s/c setup.

I will say that after my exhaust and headers i will probably be interested in cams, and im less than convinced about the shricks. I have a possible source for this but lets see what happens with my headers first.
I am more interested in the weight savings of carbon fiber not really the bling factor. But bling is fine as long as its tasteful imo. You have to admit our hood must way a ton and a carbon fiber hood and hatch/wing would probably give us a pretty significant drop in weight.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM

I doubt this will ever happen but id like to see a set of glass housing headlights for our cars, to remedy the hazing/flaking problem the stock ones develop after time.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
I am more interested in the weight savings of carbon fiber not really the bling factor. But bling is fine as long as its tasteful imo. You have to admit our hood must way a ton and a carbon fiber hood and hatch/wing would probably give us a pretty significant drop in weight.
It depends on what the R&D is for. I wonder what a 3.73 or 4.10 final drive would do for our cars? Who really needs to go 150+? I already have a good IC system that I put together myself.
Want 35lbs in weight savings and a seperate cooling system? Check my gallery for more

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM

Oh and Code3 already has a very clean IC system setup with a mini battery like mine. Just don't know if they are ever gonna release it.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Thats been sitting on code3's site forever with no word if its going to made at all (it is sweet tho). I want something made now. As for other mods, if you want to start your own sign up list here to see if people want to throw in, go for it. I just chose the coolant seperation because thats what I want right now, but I'd throw in for other stuff too. I want our aftermarket to be better for everybody and this can also show our supporting vendors what we are most interested in and would actually shell out for.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
TVT_DESIGN

I think one of the best mods right now would be:

Real Cams
Stroker/overbore kit

Both of those can be interchanged between the N/A and SC motors, both can be used in about 100,000 cars, and both are substantial power adders.

If you are realistically looking to add serious power, cooling mods might not really get you there. With the HEs out there is already some decent progress, add Code 3's new Intercooler design, a modified thermo, intercooler pump, and some spacers and you are pretty good.

But like I said we'll do what the community wants as it's just more fun that way.

I have an engineer that can sketch us up cams, cranks, and pistons. He just mocked up a V16 engine based off of 2 LS1s. It's just a CAD but pretty cool.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Cams sound good. How much would it cost for the R&D and fabbing of cams you think (ballpark of course)? Also, how much would that Stroker/overbore kit cost anyway? I'm not sure how many people are ready for a step like that, but it doesn't hurt to put it out there to see.

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 08-13-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Forum Regular

I would be down for that separation kit made, donation amount would have to be reasonable . A future discount for donators maybe . I vote cams next. Does anyone have the specs for our cams? i know some guys very knowledgeable on cams that would be able to tell me if our stock cams have room for improvement.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Cams - when my warranty is up...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Cams - when my warranty is up...
I would cam it up. Also I would be added to the list if it looked like the code three seperation kit with the mini battery. Something tells me it wont be released maybe brian will pipe in, but I know Anthony is more then capable of building something like that.

Quick Reply: Would you throw in for R&D?