Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Re-Sealed Rear Wing

Old 09-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Sealed Rear Wing

Thanks to the Forum I now have a sealed rear wing. I attached the pics so you could see what is under the wing. I was suprised. There is a pic of the rust on the car and one after I removed the rust before I cleaned the slots. The rust on the molded piece that holds the studes was not a pretty sight. I used POR (Paint Over Rust) on the metal so I will not have that problem again. You can see the pic of the wing and the four small "O" rings that were used to seal the wing and the metal painted. I used a tooth pick to apply weather stripping seal around the "O" rings and applied a small amount around the edge of the molded piece on each side. I used the 3M black because there is a removing agent that you can use if you want to take the wing off. I worked for a company that did restoration weatherstripping for five years so I have dangerous knowledge about that stuff. I did not want the wing to have any chance of leaking. I had more pics but could not get them to load. Hope this encourages you to inspect your wing. I noticed mind when I washed the car and water ran down to inside when I raised the rear hatch. Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Blueaero; 09-01-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re-Sealed Rear Wing

wow its a good thing you sealed it up right this time! you don't have to worry about it for a very long time. if ever again

Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have taken some excellent photos of this problem. As Andrew had pointed out the rust on the bottom of the doors, I saw this problem when I painted the wing on my daughters SRT and subsequently on mine.

This is a design problem. The wing should have been sealed completely, making it impenetrable by water. The o-rings do not stop the water from seeping in and staying under the wing and causing this dilemma.

I am glad you have brought this back to the forefront.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this too (but not as much rust)
I ditched the o-rings and used black silicone gasket maker. I figured I would get a much longer life out of this than the o-rings and far less chance of leaking.