Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

How to get onto jack stands?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get onto jack stands?

Tehe. Since we only have 1 jack point on each corner... how do you jack a corner high enough to then put a jack stand under it?

Sheesh I have the dumbest problems.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs down Re: How to get onto jack stands?

I would suggest drive on ramps and possibly a board to get the tires up without hitting the front bumper as you start up the ramp.

Otherwise you can help by driving up on boards to gain one or two thicknesses elevation and then use the jack to go up. It may be necessary to go up 1/2 the desired height --add a block and go to the other side -- go up slowly to get the jackstand in and then go back to the first side to complete the lifting.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE AND UNSAFE WAY TO GET UNDER THE CAR SO BE AWARE OF THE DANGER. ALWAYS SHAKE THE CAR BEFORE GETTING UNDER THE CAR YOU CANT LIFT IT AND IF YOU SHAKE IT OFF GREAT YOU JUST SAVED YOU LIFE.................

As a car rookie, I used to drive up on to a curb to get under my old 59 Tbird as it was safe and stable. Parking on the curb could get me enough room and you can hang the front or rear over the gutter. Parking parallel allows center access but you have to be off an active street-------things happen....

The jack should be a big one ( floor type) not the 19.95$ style. The use of a thick 1/2 hard rubber cushion on the lift pad will help hold the car without denting / digging into the lift pad on the car with the hydraulic lift pad fingers.

I would not use the jack stands on soft ground or thin plywood or hot paving, the stands drift and lean affecting your ability to breath or get back out from under the car.......

If your jack stands dont cost 40$ or more dont use them as the sheet metal ones are not worth it, they must be welded steel, check Craigs list and get good ones, be safe.

Jack stands are almost as dangerous as a " Come -Along " cable puller, I dont use either anymore. The drive up ramps are a bit safer.

iF YOU RAISE THE WHOLE CAR, TURN THE REAR DRIVE ON RAMPS BACKWARDS SO THE THE CAR WANTS TO ROLL FRONT ON THE BACKONES AND BACK ON THE FRONT TIRES - - -LOCKING THE CAR. I SAY THIS FROM PAST EXPERIENCE, DONT GET COCKY BE SAFE NUFF SAID.

ON A 'HIGH', WOODY

Last edited by waldig; 12-04-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to get onto jack stands?

I put the jack under the lower a-arms in front and put the stands under the jack points. On the rear I put the jack as close to the wheel as I could from underneath and jacked it there. Did this every year for the winter and haven't had a problem.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

great pics on Moparbust thread about hovering

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Forum Regular

Good quality jack stands are a must, as Woody said. I have had many cars on jack stands for months at a time. No issue with them mine are rated at 3tons each. Jack the front from under the cradle with a hydraulic jack insert jack stands and for the rear use the hydraulic jack under the rear subframe this way you can get both sides under at the same time.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Forum Regular

Yes I would never get under a car with jack stands, I had a bad experience before where I was young and used old old jack stands and one actually starting cracking while I was under the car. yeah, scary. Had I not realized it then it would've definately came crashing down.

I need my rear jacked up so I can remove both tires at the same time. A local shop (that I actually trust) says they won't put 295's on my stock rims and then let me drive away for legal reasons. I need to bring them just the rims and tires.

I'm thinking maybe Ill just buy nice hydraulic jacks and leave those under each side. They should hold for a few hours? Probably....

Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Forum Regular

As ghetto as it sounds, I used two scissor jacks on my car when I swapped the tires. (My father was borrowing my 3 ton jack, and I had 2 compact jacks from Dodge Neons).

It worked fine as the car was on the jacks for a day as my buddy swapped the tires for me.

Would I have worked under the car? Absolutely not, I just raised both sides enough to remove the wheels. Wasnt worried about it, the car was just sitting in the garage.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohnoesaz
Yes I would never get under a car with jack stands, I had a bad experience before where I was young and used old old jack stands and one actually starting cracking while I was under the car. yeah, scary. Had I not realized it then it would've definately came crashing down.

I need my rear jacked up so I can remove both tires at the same time. A local shop (that I actually trust) says they won't put 295's on my stock rims and then let me drive away for legal reasons. I need to bring them just the rims and tires.

I'm thinking maybe Ill just buy nice hydraulic jacks and leave those under each side. They should hold for a few hours? Probably....

I've got a better horror story. One day I was jacking(with a 2 ton aluminum jack) up a Bentley GT to replace the fender liner and already had the wheel off and the jack 3/4 of the way up. It literally BROKE the jack and the car slammed on the ground(on the rotor). Luckily I wasn't under it at the time and it didn't hurt the car either. Now I always put a stand under a car first thing.

Also; don't waste your time putting 295's on the stock rims as they ARE too wide for a 9'' rim. I just put my 295's on because I got the tires for a steal and will be going down to 275 or 285 once I burn these up.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

now I see. I was wondering about those 295s, my tire guys just about kicked my @ss for buying the 275's, but, these F1's don't seem to be much different from the stock Conti's..I was beginning to like them when the weather changed, summer tires in the winter doesn't work so good...ok, back to jacking....

Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

I went 275s because the cost was an extra $8 per tire over 255s. 285s would have been another $100 yet. Never bothered looking into 295s

Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ohnoesaz
Yes I would never get under a car with jack stands, I had a bad experience before where I was young and ....
Oz, you crack me up!
When you were young! LOL

A zillion of us here are old enough to be yer dad!

The following users liked this post:
Sennaspirit (10-15-2021)
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few on here that are old enough to be his grand dad!!

I'm just a young pup though.....

MikeR