Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Another Fiberglass idea for JR...

Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another Fiberglass idea for JR...

With many folks running the 55 AMG airboxes on the SRT, I have noticed one thing:

The front of the engine cover does not properly match up to the extra width of the bigger airboxes. Some people simply run cover-less, but it got me to thinking... wouldn't it be neat to have an engine cover, styled after the MB engine covers, that would mate up to the 55 airbox but also bolt on to the SRT-'s attach-points?

It would look factory, complete the "flow" underhood, and be an upgrade over the SRT's "pointier" engine cover. Mold it sans-star for copyright reasons, and if someone wants to slap the MB star on at their own convenience, so-be-it. I just think it would really be a neat mod and would remove the only negative trait of the AMG55 airbox (the "unfinished" look).

Just thinking aloud, hopefully that made sense. Anyone agree?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another Fiberglass idea for JR...

I like NOT having that cover on the engine as I prefer to see the S/C and pullies.
My .02

Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHM2K
With many folks running the 55 AMG airboxes on the SRT, I have noticed one thing:

The front of the engine cover does not properly match up to the extra width of the bigger airboxes. Some people simply run cover-less, but it got me to thinking... wouldn't it be neat to have an engine cover, styled after the MB engine covers, that would mate up to the 55 airbox but also bolt on to the SRT-'s attach-points?

It would look factory, complete the "flow" underhood, and be an upgrade over the SRT's "pointier" engine cover. Mold it sans-star for copyright reasons, and if someone wants to slap the MB star on at their own convenience, so-be-it. I just think it would really be a neat mod and would remove the only negative trait of the AMG55 airbox (the "unfinished" look).

Just thinking aloud, hopefully that made sense. Anyone agree?
JHM2k Great minds think alike. Right now I am working on a few things for the good of my car. I have the needswings intake but a few months ago we decided to put it on Rudy's car. I am currently looking for a set of 55 boxes I have found some used ones for $200 that were incomplete or I would have picked them up. The reason I am looking to switch out from the NW to the 55 is I am going to make a 55 carbonfiber airbox, while I am making this I will have a carbon fiber engine cover built off of the orginal chrysler front cover that matches up to the 55 boxes. lol All these projects and no time, anyway I now have the spare cover, the CF material for the box but no 55 boxes one thing at at time..... I will probably get to this after the sideskirts, I mean why not summer is still 5 month away..

Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 PM

Now THAT would be trick. Dude you are impressive with all the ideas being brainstormed. Safe to say that Daimler should've had you on the design team

Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of a CF engine cover I have for a S65AMG for the hell of it.........

DSC06098.jpg
DSC06099.jpg

Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM

I think I just got a chubby.

LMFAO j/p

Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best source for the SL55 boxes?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Where is the best source for the SL55 boxes?
www.parts.com has the cheapest prices for new boxes that I have found. comes with stock AMG filters as well for the price listed on the website.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 AM

im all about this idea.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jturkel
www.parts.com has the cheapest prices for new boxes that I have found. comes with stock AMG filters as well for the price listed on the website.

Correct and it is cheaper to buy the E55 amg intake, over the SL55 intake. The E55 intake comes out to be $262 without shipping, and shipping is $10-15. That is the lowest I have seen or heard about on MBworld.org.

Here is a pic of what I am going for... Something like the VRP set up so beautiful, hahah its going to take a lot of time. HAHAH JHM2K if this doesnt give you more then 3/4 of a stock you need to go to the doctor for a special blue pill

Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Forum Regular

No pill needed here, that is beautiful! I have the SL55 intake and that cover would look awesome.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Correct and it is cheaper to buy the E55 amg intake, over the SL55 intake. The E55 intake comes out to be $262 without shipping, and shipping is $10-15. That is the lowest I have seen or heard about on MBworld.org.

Here is a pic of what I am going for... Something like the VRP set up so beautiful, hahah its going to take a lot of time. HAHAH JHM2K if this doesnt give you more then 3/4 of a stock you need to go to the doctor for a special blue pill

Ahhhhhhhh dude that is EXACTLY what I was envisioning. Just one that will bolt up to the SRT-6 block AND the E55 intake simultaneously.

Are they the same width, roughly? I would assume so since you can use the airboxes and y-pipe from the E55/SL55 without modifying. All that would need to be "tweaked" is the mounting points.

Correct/Incorrect?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

That looks awesome!!! I would loose the Needswings and a couple .10ths to have one of those under the hood!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Nothing would need to be tweaked we have plenty of room against the firewall that the C32 and SLK boys do not have

Haha guys did I forget the price tag for that piece through VRP ooppps lol ALMOST $4k gotta pay to play lol. I can make it for less just depends on how many would be interested I dont see selling more then ten and we are probably talking in the $1000 -$1500 for the box and cover, then tack on another $250 for the 55 bottoms. Would not loose hp however, the boxes sit higher and the intlets into the TB are larger then the stock 55. This over all would see increase, the 55s are close to the NW I think this would make them equal. BUT IS THE $700 price tag over the NW worth the sexy looks? All else fails we create overlays for the 55 boxes to give the appearance of this, and make a matching pulley cover. lol anything is possible but no questions asked the NW is still the best bang for the buck

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 12-29-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Considering the marginal gains, I would absolutely hazard to say that the most "popular" route for this idea would simply be the overlay/front pulley cover...

That's actually more along the lines of my first idea. Something to simply bridge the gap between the SL55's big silver airboxes, and the uncovered pulleys. (If you took it off the engine, it looks like the B-2 Stealth bomber. Jus the front "shroud")

I've seen several people buy the MB pulley cover to use with the factory 3.2 Superharged intakes, and it bolts straight up (for obvious reasons). I've seen people snag OEM 32AMG covers for ~$250 to put on the SRT...

The problem is, once someone has made the upgrade to the 55 airbox, the 3.2 AMG front pulley cover falls short in the width dept. There's a noticable gap and it just doesn't "flow" well, aesthetically.

Basically the ideal setup (IMO) would simply be to widen the pulley cover... creating a hybrid between the 32AMG pulley cover and the 55AMG front cover. Mounting points of the SLK32, with the upper width adequate enough to reach the edges of the E55/SL55 intake boxes. This should be relatively cheap, would not necessarily have to be carbon fiber, and could be finished in the normal silver color to look "factory". Cheap, lightweight, and pleasing to the eye.

Of course, if folks wanted to pony up the extra cash for the CF upgrade, as well as have a "cover" for the supercharger to simulate the VRP look, then they could spring for that as well.

To make a short story long, I think the pulley cover (cross-bred between the 32 and 55) would garner the most buyers and should be fairly inexpensive to reproduce. If the front pulley cover could be reproduced for ~$200, it would be a mod that (used in conjunction with a well-priced E55 box) would look complete, OEM, and classy for a grand total of around the same price of NW intake.

Needswings no doubt offers the best proven performance, but the 'Benz boxes are a mere tenth or so behind in the 1320, and they have a much more finished look than NW... just my humble O-pinion.

Last edited by JHM2K; 12-29-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The ST rear spoiler.......

Last edited by FP; 12-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM

i would be game for the cover. about to have the CF look done on the inside of the 6. (aka black series) having the cover would complete the look. just needs to look like the styling came from the factory. keep me updated if this goes forward.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FP,
That looks good on the NA but not so god on the SRT.

MikeR

Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
yup....that is what i bought my SL55 amg intake setup for....that is the price i posted on mbworld.org

Old 12-31-2008, 04:30 AM
Forum Regular

I would also be interested in a setup like this. Keep us up to date if this idea gains momentum.

Quick Reply: Another Fiberglass idea for JR...