Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Help me pick winter tires for my 6

Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help me pick winter tires for my 6

Picked up an extra set of stock Crossfire wheels on ebay. I'm looking to wrap them in some good winter tires to allow me to drive the 6 around in the cold.

I'm not looking for a straight snow/ice tire like a Blizzak because I if it snows I'll keep the 6 in the driveway and hop in the H3. However I do want a tire that wont get hockey-puck-hard in the frigid temps like the stock P2's. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to store the 6 plus I'd like to drive it in the winter if there isn't any ice/snow around.

I heard that Blizzaks will shred up fast on dry pavement so what should I be looking for? All season? Or is there a high-performance cold-weather tire (ie offer good grip in dry yet freezing temps)?

I need to order immediately- thanks in advance!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Help me pick winter tires for my 6

UPDATE: Just did some research on TireRack the Yokohama ADVAN S.4.'s look nice. Anyone use them in cold weather?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went from Pilot PS2s to Eagle F1 A/S all around. WORLD of difference. I've since driven in the snow twice with them and, while you're not going to confuse it with a Subaru, they handle very well. The handling on dry roads in the cold has also been excellent. I bought them from Tire rack, stock sizes, shipped for about $860.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to feed my SRT-6 addiction, i bought blizzaks on 18 and 19" mercedes wheels.
they are AWESOME. i've been caught in 3 snowstorms with them on my SRT6 and this little car gets around GREAT! put 150lbs in the rear to balance the car's weight, and you will be able to drive just about anywhere. i've been driving my SRT more than my SUV this winter!
all winter tires will shred up on dry pavement. but if you want to protect your investment, blizzaks will work. period. i suggested them to my buddy for his G35, and he's been thanking me all chicago-winter-long!

enjoy!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PhillySRT
I just went from Pilot PS2s to Eagle F1 A/S all around. WORLD of difference. I've since driven in the snow twice with them and, while you're not going to confuse it with a Subaru, they handle very well. The handling on dry roads in the cold has also been excellent. I bought them from Tire rack, stock sizes, shipped for about $860.
Great- thanks for the input!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j-fire
to feed my SRT-6 addiction, i bought blizzaks on 18 and 19" mercedes wheels.
they are AWESOME. i've been caught in 3 snowstorms with them on my SRT6 and this little car gets around GREAT! put 150lbs in the rear to balance the car's weight, and you will be able to drive just about anywhere. i've been driving my SRT more than my SUV this winter!
all winter tires will shred up on dry pavement. but if you want to protect your investment, blizzaks will work. period. i suggested them to my buddy for his G35, and he's been thanking me all chicago-winter-long!

enjoy!
Hey J-Fire thanks for the input man! It's great to know I'm not the only one who drives it all year round sans snow & ice. However you may be a bit more liberal than me.

I'm probably leaning more towards All-Season tires because I'm not necessarily looking for snow/ice tires per say. Rather I'd like a tire I can run in the winter that can maintain it's grip in low temps. The stock PS2's soft rubber compound freezes and becomes very dangerous even in cold weather- even on the driest of days.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

i don't know man, i pushed my BLIZZAKS HARD this winter, and they perform great! even at high speeds. i drive like i stole it, all the time. really, ALL THE TIME. (i have the M45 laser jammer kit, and dash-installed valentine one)

and they still look the same as when i bought them. i have noticed very little wear, and have been driving on them 85% of the winter since end of october!

even had drag-races against my friends with their AWD setups(porsche carrera 4s, BMW335xi, G35xi) beat them all by the way....

if you live where the winter is harsh, all-season tires do 'work,' but all actual 'testing' of true-winter tires put them FAR ahead of the competition.

but i do understand being on a budget, and an all-season tire can be a much better deal.

hope i've been helpful!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Forum Regular

i don't know man, i pushed my BLIZZAKS HARD this winter, and they perform great! even at high speeds. i drive like i stole it, all the time. really, ALL THE TIME. (i have the M45 laser jammer kit, and dash-installed valentine one)

and they still look the same as when i bought them. i have noticed very little wear, and have been driving on them 85% of the winter since end of october!

even had drag-races against my friends with their AWD setups(porsche carrera 4s, BMW335xi, G35xi) beat them all by the way....

if you live where the winter is harsh, all-season tires do 'work,' but all actual 'testing' of true-winter tires put them FAR ahead of the competition.

but i do understand being on a budget, and an all-season tire can be a much better deal.

hope i've been helpful!
I've owned Blizzaks before (for my STi) they were incredible. However I plan on keeping the SRT in the driveway and taking the H3 out when the white stuff is in the streets. For that reason I wanted something that would offer better dry road traction. No doubt the Blizzaks will destroy an All Season tire in snow and ice.

I just placed the order a few moments ago. I was going pay $150 more and go with the Yokohama A/S tires (because they rate higher in almost every category compared to the Eagle F1's) however the rears were back-ordered. That made it an easy choice for going with the F1's like PhillySRT has. It's $150 cheaper, in-stock, and even has a $50 mail-in rebate making them $200 cheaper.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular

sounds like a good plan! didn't know you had the H3 as a backup!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

sounds like a good plan! didn't know you had the H3 as a backup!
Thankfully! It's been pretty cold/snowy as of late here in NJ.

Looking forward to being able to take the 6 out more often in the cold without worrying about the hockey puck rubber tires (frozen PS2s)! PS The 6 is going to look interesting with the stocker n/a wheels. More of a sleeper look I suppose.